Any Galaxy SIII users get a Nexus 4? What are your impressions?

tlrsax54

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: Any Galaxy S3 users get a Nexus 4? What are your impressions?

tlrsax^^^ the point is that all of these features and countless others from Android based roms (aka TouchWiz, Sense, Blur) are available via apps or custom roms. That's where the OEM's and even Google itself gets "their" ideas most of the time (let's not leave Apple or Microsoft out of this). Someone mentioned vanilla Android as a clean canvas. Great analogy! So you can have whatever you like, and not bog or blog your device with the stuff you don't want or need. I'll be the first to say AOSP roms are way to plain for me. I've only run AOSP builds for the few hours it takes feature rich rom devs to release a build after a new version of Android hits AOSP. I just know that I could get most all of my can't live without features on a stock device via the play store.

I haven't seen many of those EXACT features in any non-touchwiz ROM, as well as the new features coming up in the update they started pushing out (same with apps)...but maybe there is, I haven't taken the time to go through Nexus development threads...some reason it seems impossible to put them into AOSP based roms for the S3 lol.

direct call seems kinda useless, i mean i'd honestly rather tap the # to call but thats me
smart alert, again seems useless as light flow seems more useful since i can just look at the phone and look at the specific colors (i have green for emails, blue for texts, red for calls, etc.)
tilt to zoom, pan to move icon, shake to update, pan to browse and double tap to get to the top seems nice but honestly seem very minor. anyone know of some apps that can do these?

In a way they are "useless," but they are nice to have. I don't like waiting for my LED, and as soon as I take my phone out of the pocket it vibrates letting me know I have something, I always found that pretty handy. I also use two other features I forgot, Smart Stay (screen stays on when you are looking at it) and Smart Rotation (screen won't rotate when it's not suppose to)...to my knowledge I don't know any apps that do any of those. There are apps to do the video pop out thing though lol, that's kind of cool.

I'd like to find an app to duplicate all those functions

Me too, or else I would be running AOKP right now lol. :cool: ...even if the option is there to find 10-15 apps to duplicate those functions, what a pain in the...O:)

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

these things do seem kinda cool but definitely don't turn the tables. at least for me.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I'd also love to find a duplicate of the swype for screen shot. I use it ALL the time. I know I'm going to miss it if I choose the nexus 4. I know I can still take a screen shot, but just swyping is beyond handy and I love doing it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

I'd also love to find a duplicate of the swype for screen shot. I use it ALL the time. I know I'm going to miss it if I choose the nexus 4. I know I can still take a screen shot, but just swyping is beyond handy and I love doing it.

You could easy set a swipe (^^swype :p) action to take a screenshot etc using nova/apex/etc. On my 4.2.1 build I have these 10 (long press for other 5) everywhere including the lock screen. N4 has this too. Quick swipe right = screen shot
uploadfromtaptalk1355406661641.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Don't know about their reasoning, but for me I am ditching sprint so the choice is between getting a new s3 with tmobile or getting the nexus 4. One phone I know I already love and one phone I'm unsure of but sure is a lot cheaper.

gtg465x

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site

SGS3 will see 4.2 pretty soon. The premium upgrade that is coming is 4.2. It is already going out in some places I believe. When is the issue. I would say Q1 of 2013.

Doubt it. 4.2 isn't going out anywhere for anything but Nexus devices. 4.1 is just now hitting the US S3 variants. It took 5 months from the time 4.1 hit the Galaxy Nexus. I wouldn't expect 4.2 on the US S3 variants until the beginning of Q2 2013, around April. Then Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie will likely hit at the end of Q2, around June, right after the US S3s get 4.2.

gtg465x

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site

The premium pack for S3 is coming with so much new stuff and i hope that you have seen the official video of it? How someone can not like it? Software updates are not a problem with samsung anymore. I do not live in US so I don't have to go through carier for updates :) i don't have S3 but S3 users would get a nice surprise in form of premium update. By the way S3 north american version itself is a version of S3 and laggy. My friend has it and I have hands on experience with it. My wife's International S3 is way snappier and better than that.

Software updates are still a problem for Samsung here in the US. And it's hard for us Americans to justify paying almost three times as much and forgoing LTE to get the unlocked international version over the carrier subsidized version. If I could get an unlocked international S3 for $350, I might pick it over the Nexus 4, but the S3 is definitely not worth $200 to $250 more than the Nexus 4 to me.

t0ked

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

Arguing about phones is very funny. Everyone has an opinion. The S3 came out in the summer and the N4 just recently so of course it is going to have better hardware. When the S4 comes out next year, it will have better specs than both phones.

Now the issue between TW, Sense, Blur, etc vs AOSP is pure opinion. I dabbled with an AOSP build on an older phone. I did like the "blank canvas" and began downloading apps that would replicate much of the functions I found in my original factory ROM. I spent so much time getting back to how I liked it, I realized it was just better off for me to go back to the factory ROM. Different strokes for different folks.

In my family, one person has the S3 and it is a great phone. Being in VZW, the N4 is not an option. The lack of LTE is also a no go from my gf on ATT, so there goes that option. Ashame that there were compromises made for the nexus 4. My perfect phone? Quad core processor, 2GB RAM, LTE access, all carriers, battery life of the MAXX, screen of the DNA, SD card slot, removable battery, great camera, and availability of AOSP. Hopefully this describes the S4 or a Motorola Nexus...

Last edited:

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
if you're happy with the GS3, why even bother with the nexus then? Just curious.

Just want the type of cpu and ram that the GS3 was supposed to have.

Plus I want fast updates.

Just want the best of both worlds

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I've been playing with the nexus 4 all day today. Camera is Def not as good, so that would take some getting used to. Shots outside are fine though. I have someone that wants a nexus horribly so they will trade me for a tmobile gs3 if I decide I don't want it. Going to give it a fair chance though. It's always fun playing with something a bit different.

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

You could easy set a swipe (^^swype :p) action to take a screenshot etc using nova/apex/etc. On my 4.2.1 build I have these 10 (long press for other 5) everywhere including the lock screen. N4 has this too. Quick swipe right = screen shot
View attachment 50846

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

how do you do this with nova? im not rooted

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Updating on my choice. I decided to stick with the nexus 4 and sold my galaxy s3. I've had no problems with anything on the phone so have been counting myself lucky. But...... Finally got a case in ( same thin tpu I had on my s3), and now I'm having problems holding the phone. Just feels thick and bulky now where as my s3 still felt great with a case on. I am a woman with small hands but I never thought the thickness of the phone would be the make or break. Going to try it out a couple days but as for now I might be switching back. Phone has got to be comfy to hold with as much as I text one handed.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

saadi703

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Too much to sacrifice. I am using both Nexus 4 and Note 2 and Nexus sucks in camera quality (both pics and video), sound as not as good as note 2. The performance especially games do not run as good as Note 2 because of thermal throttling problem. The phone runs hotter than note 2 (battery temp is high) even under normal use i.e. phone calls, browsing etc. Whenever I turn of data and turn back on the data does not turn on and I have to put the phone in airplane mode and then back to normal and then data starts to work. I have to do it every time and it is very annoying. The screen contrast is good on nexus 4 but colors are a bit muted and little off from what they supposed to be. Miss lot of motion, gestures, s Pen, air view, page buddy and lots of cool stuff. So far using Nexus as daily driver just to check the device long enough and decide whether to keep it or note 2. I really want to keep Nexus 4 but if does not turn out the way I want it to be then I have to go back to note2. Good thing is that I do not sell my old phone first rather I keep both for few days.

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Android Now is becoming iOS

if you're happy with the GS3, why even bother with the nexus then? Just curious.

Pure Google, Quad core processor to name a few. Plus the insanely low price for an unlocked off contract phone was too good for some of us to pass up. Plus it's easy to sell the N4, or GS3 depending on which one we decide to keep. Lots of reasons to get an N4 really.

mandoman28

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: Android Now is becoming iOS

I have had the N4 for about a week and just went back to my SG3. I like being able to swap out the battery when needed, I like having the external SD card for more room, also the camera is way better on the SG3. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks.

mandoman28

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Had a stock AT&T GS3 with a fresh update to JB via kies last week which IMO made for a much better user experience. My N4 is a great phone although I can't seem to get my APN dialed in for better download speeds so right now it is very sluggish and I am missing the LTE speeds on my GS3.
To me both phones offer a lot to the user but for now I am leaning towards my GS3 until I can figure out what the issue is with my data speeds on my N4

I also had an issue with this. Tried some different things that I found on different sites as well as here but never got the speed to get up to par.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gkapidis