From iPhone5, LTE unlimited data plan, Micro Cell, HSPA Data Speeds, Buzzing - Initial Impressions

jpnagar80

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
SIM: Used iphone 5 SIM with micro sim adapter(from amazon) and used the settings from the below link. I have not called ATT so I?m assuming that my data plan (grandfathered unilimted) remains the same
http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-4/226814-anyone-activated-nexus-4-att-5.html

Note: After putting the SIM I was able to make and receive calls but data did not work initially. I had to make the above settings (see link above) for data to work

Micro Cell: I have a micro cell at home and the phone connected to it and was able to receive and make calls.

Data Speeds: I get about ~7MB down and ~1MB up (this is will full bars and ?H? displayed on the top). I haven?t seen H+ displayed today but did see it when I put the SIM yesterday for the first time. 4G (H+ speeds between iphone 5 and Nexus 4 are similar) tested on 101 SF-Bay Area (I see HSPA:10 in "Mobile network type" in settings)

Buzzing: I do hear the buzzing(static) while taking on the phone (is this experienced by everybody or only some of you are experiencing it?)

Background: This is my second attempt to switch from iOS to Android. I tried six months ago with HTC One X. The reason I switched back to iphone was that links in email were shown as clear text (Apple lawsuit ? maybe not a issue anymore) and Bluetooth streaming did not work (very critical for me as I love to listen to music during my commute). I have been using Nexus 7 as my primary tablet from the past ~3 months.

Summary: Still testing the phone but will most likely keep it.

thepktrckt

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm right there with you on the convert side and in the bay area as well. Second attempt, Note 2 was too big and too much bloatware.
I am living in a mixed world using the iPhone 5 and Nexus 4 when I feel like one or the other. I have not heard the buzzing yet and am not looking for it because I know as soon as I hear it I will always hear it. H/H+ has been plenty fast enough, I don't feel as if there is a speed shock going back to the 5.

Pros: It's fun to have so much freedom to edit change etc.
Love the screen, not too big, not too small
I love swipe to type
LOVE THE MAPS
Price and no contract
Easy to swap sim in and just go
Thus far contacts sync well

Cons: Is a battery hog
Apps aren't as mature as iOS
Can't play music in my car yet, need to get a BT adapter (iPhones have worked perfectly)
Camera isn't very good in my early opinion but still tinkering with it
Headphones have been too quiet, have tried a couple options

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Are you still working without having to call ATT? I want to be able to switch between an iphone 5 and N4 without having to call every time.

Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

thepktrckt

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Sorry never saw this post...I switch without any calls to AT&T...it's literally as easy as powering off both devices, swap sims, power up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463