Nexus 4 low AUX volume temporary fix?

FYourProblems

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Some songs are louder than others but I regularly have to put the phone and the car stereo up all the way, and even then I'd like it a little louder.

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Now I see what you're saying. My problem is that at max volume, the Nexus 4 isn't nearly as loud as most other phones. I have to put the volume of my car radio at its max. I never had to do that with the Galaxy Nexus and it was still much louder. Unfortunately there isn't a volume booster app that works yet on the Nexus 4 that I know about.

do the test i did and see if your results are in accordance with mine.

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Ok I did your test with headphones. It seems like between volume levels 12/13 (out of 15) on the Galaxy Nexus matches the Nexus 4's maxed out 15/15 volume.

for me it was galaxy s volume 7/15 = nexus 4 volume 8/15. why are you listening to it at 15/15 btw? bad for hearing if you use that all the time....

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Same dealeo. With small little earbuds it's not as bad, but when I listen through my cans it is much less loud. I think just the aux output isn't as strong as some phones.

i did it with audiophile grade IEM's. I can try it with my over the ear headphones, but honestly i feel too lazy right now...

BobbyTheNinja

May 17, 2010
Visit site
for me it was galaxy s volume 7/15 = nexus 4 volume 8/15. why are you listening to it at 15/15 btw? bad for hearing if you use that all the time....

I only did it to test it out and the Nexus 4 at max isn't that loud to begin with. I also never use headphones anyway. I prefer a receiver/speakers over headphones.

BobbyTheNinja

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Same dealeo. With small little earbuds it's not as bad, but when I listen through my cans it is much less loud. I think just the aux output isn't as strong as some phones.

That makes sense because I noticed a bigger difference with the max volume in my car than testing it out with headphones. I'm going to try the same volume test tomorrow in my car when I get a chance and see how far off the volumes are in both phones.

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I only did it to test it out and the Nexus 4 at max isn't that loud to begin with. I also never use headphones anyway. I prefer a receiver/speakers over headphones.

i just used headphones because i wanted to see how audio output would compare with a different device. what the actual audio output is (speakers, headphones, etc) shouldn't really vary. also, i didn't want to go to my car because its cold outside lol

BobbyTheNinja

May 17, 2010
Visit site
i just used headphones because i wanted to see how audio output would compare with a different device. what the actual audio output is (speakers, headphones, etc) shouldn't really vary. also, i didn't want to go to my car because its cold outside lol

Yeah when I test it in my car tomorrow, I'm expecting it to be the same result. About 2 or 3 volume level difference between my Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4, but since it's with speakers, the gap between 12/15 to its max 15/15 on my Galaxy Nexus will sound bigger than on headphones.

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Yeah when I test it in my car tomorrow, I'm expecting it to be the same result. About 2 or 3 volume level difference between my Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4, but since it's with speakers, the gap between 12/15 to its max 15/15 on my Galaxy Nexus will sound bigger than on headphones.

hmm... good point. i'll try it in my car and report back tomorrow.

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Hoping for a software fix/mod for this. I struggle with listening to music in the car because the output is so low. I pretty much have to crank my car stereo all the way up and it's still not crazy loud. Seems about half as loud as my old iPhone used to output.

FYourProblems

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Hoping for a software fix/mod for this. I struggle with listening to music in the car because the output is so low. I pretty much have to crank my car stereo all the way up and it's still not crazy loud. Seems about half as loud as my old iPhone used to output.

Same here... I hope this issue gets addressed by Google. It seems like every phone has this too, so I can't just send it back to Google and get a proper one.

supernice44

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I love everything about my N4 except this glaring issue with the aux volume. I live in NYC and listen to various content through headphones anytime I am on the subway, and my N4 puts out way lower volume compared to my old Droid X. Does Google have a way for us to give feedback about what we'd like to see in future updates to hardware and software? I didn't see anything on the N4 support page...

BobbyTheNinja

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I love everything about my N4 except this glaring issue with the aux volume. I live in NYC and listen to various content through headphones anytime I am on the subway, and my N4 puts out way lower volume compared to my old Droid X. Does Google have a way for us to give feedback about what we'd like to see in future updates to hardware and software? I didn't see anything on the N4 support page...

This is the only place I can find for feedback on this issue: https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=41034