Getting the N4 in Mass Storage Mode

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
While looking for a great audiobook/bodcast player that could sync with my iTunes podcast, I ran accross DoubleTwist.... and now I need to figure out how to put my N4 in mass storage mode.
doubleTwist - Help

Any ideas?

The Nexus 4 uses the MTP format, and therefore can't enter mass storage mode. If you're on OSX and need to transfer files, you can download the Android File Transfer program. Not sure if this will work with what you're trying to do with DoubleTwist though.

If you're on Windows, you should be able to just plug it in and start transferring.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
What version of Windows?

Have you tried a different USB port?

After connecting your phone, wait about 15 seconds, open Windows Explorer (Start + E I'd the easiest way) then look at the bottom of the list in the left pane. Do you sew "Nexus 4" listed there?

jian9007

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
You should see it when you plug it in if you're running Windows 7. The problem you'll have is that DoubleTwist doesn't currently support MTP. Of course they suggest their AirSync program to be able to do it (which is $4.99). However, for $4.99 you could pick up DoggCatcher, which is a good podcast app. Regardless of the issues with DoubleTwist, you should still be able to view your N4 on your PC. Make sure that the MTP mode is actually on. Go to Settings, Storage, then when at the storage screen hit the menu button and you'll see USB computer connection, tap it, then make sure MTP is checked. Then see if you can at least see it when you plug it into your PC. If all you want to do is transfer files you can do that through MTP (or through Wi-Fi). Remember that the podcasts downloaded from iTunes are usually in MP3 format so you can just move them to your phone via MTP or Wi-Fi and play them with any program that plays MP3's if you want to.

Last edited: