Juice Defender on N4 - Yes or No?

xstinkyx

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I know some users have posted here and there that Juice Defender (Pro?) has really helped their battery, but I'd like to see more information on how they use it. And I'd like to read more from others who think JD shouldn't be used at all.

I used JD in a basic way on my last device (that ran 2.2) and it mostly seemed to help. On the N4 I'm getting a little over 15 hours (~4 hr screen time) and although that's pretty good if I could squeeze a little more out of it then I wouldn't need to plug it in until the end of the night.

At work I have a poor data signal which doesn't help with battery life. I do use wifi at work, but txt obviously relies on the cellular signal. Often I can't even fully receive an mms image right away due to the poor signal. I mainly do just standard web browsing, camera, not much phone at all., etc. Also, I use Trillian so I still need to receive IMs pushed to there.

If you use JD on N4, what settings do you use?
What change have you seen with it?

If you are anti-JD what are your reasons?

peejay1977

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
I get between 15-18 hours out of my phone, I'm not saying Juice Defender can't help make that last longer but personally, I really don't think it's necessary.

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
On my old phone I didn't notice a difference. I am waiting on ordering the N4, but when I do get it I won't use JD as I can toggle data on/off myself. I usually leave it off anyways, apparently JD uses more battery toggling then it would use left on for heavy users.

I found these other quotes on the forum
"Those apps actually don't improve battery. There's a great thread over at xda regarding wakelocks and ironically some of the biggest offenders are apps marketed as battery savers. Think about it though, how could an app that is constantly monitoring what's going on in your phone and i.e running saving your battery? Dump it, dump facebook(maybe use friendcaster), dump twitter(use tweetcaster) and do a lot of simple things like don't auto-sync, brightness etc and you will notice a huge difference without those apps. Other battery killers are calendar and alarm clock. Just my 2-cents and I'm in no way a dev or pro. Last but definitely not least, root your phone if you are comfortable with that" - Gov

"Two quick points. First, my battery life improved tremendously when I dumped FB. Second, the App Better Battery Stats showed JD was using more than twice as much juice as the other apps. But I avoid mundane manual actions controlled by JD. So with very light use I get results seen in pic." - cqpearson

"I don't use JD but uninstalling Facebook DEFINITELY saved me a ton of battery. It was ridiculous the change in power loss while my phone was idle. I turn off sync and barely have any apps that have the need to constantly run in the background, my battery lasts the entire day with moderate usage, love this phone again." - Jldoom

"WiFi
If you are near a WiFi hot spot that you use like at home or work, it will turn on WiFi. But if you go out of range of a WiFi hot spot it will automatically turn off WiFi for you.

Night
When you are normally asleep it can turn on Silent Mode and Airplane mode, and turn off all the radios. It saves battery life but more importantly can save a marriage. No more 3 am email, text or mistaken calendar alerts.

Turn Off 4G
Nothing sucks battery like 4G. JuiceDefender can automatically turn off 4G when you are using WiFi.

There are other features but this give you the idea.

You have to go into the custom mode to get these features set up." - milominderbinder

The thing's it does I can do myself, but if you are unwanting to change habits it could be a good idea to use.

dbareis

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
I like JD and bought ultimate because the ICS beta did save me power, however the developers don't support JB and I'm not currently using JD on my Galaxy Nexus because it wasn't working to well there.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
JD would because it turns everything off automatically. If you're the type who only needs your email etc polled once an hour or so, it works great. If you're like me and you check all your accounts nonstop, it doesn't do much.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

hankdu

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I use jd and i noticed a difference in battery life. I'm on the aggressive setting (jd plus) and the only setting I have fiddled with is what apps are allowed to continue have data access even when the screen is off. What this means is that when a radio or streaming app is not running in the background, the phone only pulls data from Internet once every 30 minutes (or however long you decide to set) .

I think jd saves battery because it stop apps constantly pulling data from the internet. Just think about all the apps you have on your phone that require data to auto update (twitter, Facebook, rss feed...), stopping them from pulling data saves you battery.

Sorry poorly written post but i hope it makes sense.

Sent from my Nexus 4

donec

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Turn Off 4G
Nothing sucks battery like 4G. JuiceDefender can automatically turn off 4G when you are using WiFi.
I'm not understanding something here. I use 4G via WiFi and I don't see it using that much battery so when you say "Nothing sucks battery like 4G" you are referring to a carriers 4G data plan/service is this true? Do you have any idea why a 4G data plan uses more battery than WiFi?

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm not understanding something here. I use 4G via WiFi and I don't see it using that much battery so when you say "Nothing sucks battery like 4G" you are referring to a carriers 4G data plan/service is this true? Do you have any idea why a 4G data plan uses more battery than WiFi?

There's no such thing as " 4g via Wi-Fi ". It's either one or the other, and mobile data is just more battery intensive than Wi-Fi.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
...At work I have a poor data signal which doesn't help with battery life. I do use wifi at work, but txt obviously relies on the cellular signal. Often I can't even fully receive an mms image right away due to the poor signal. I mainly do just standard web browsing, camera, not much phone at all., etc. Also, I use Trillian so I still need to receive IMs pushed to there.

As an aside, I have zero cell signal in my office but a Wi-Fi router just 10 feet from my desk. In order to keep in touch with my wife, son, and a few other select souls, I installed WhatsApp on my N4 and asked them to do the same. WhatsApp sends & receives SMS and MMS over any available data connection whether Wi-Fi or cellular. In many other ways it is far superior to the native messaging apps; the downside is that you can only WhatsApp with other WhatsApp users.

xstinkyx

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm just seeing if people have anything new to add to this thread. I still see sporadic mentions of JD here and there on this forum (mostly pro, some con). It's not clear what settings all the pro-HD people are using.

m3lover1

Trusted Member
May 4, 2010
Visit site
No. Juice defender might have been good when it first came out when android wasn't as good as it is now. I used it back then as well. But now I think it is more beneficial to let android do its work normally rather than have this app kill this and that. I think it might even cause more battery since the phone will need to turn off the radios every time you sleep the phone and again it will turn it on when you turn the phone back on.

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I use Green Power Premium, same idea as Juice Defender.

For me it works because the signal I get while I am at work is really bad. Instead of the phone consistently fighting for a connection I let it manage my connection when the phone is not in use. It works well for my needs.

60% of the time it works every time!
*Sprint HIGH Speed 3G/LTE Nexus*

xstinkyx

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I use Green Power Premium, same idea as Juice Defender.

For me it works because the signal I get while I am at work is really bad. Instead of the phone consistently fighting for a connection I let it manage my connection when the phone is not in use. It works well for my needs.

Thanks for the input. Your scenario is one reason I'm interested in a battery saver app. While at work I have anywhere from zero to two TMO signal bars. I'm on wifi at work for most things (except for SMS/MMS). I'd like to create a profile so that it automatically uses just 2G during the morning and afternoon hours. I want things to be normal at lunch and I want to be able to quickly disable it (if I step outside for a break, for example). Does Green Power Premium allow for something like that?

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm just seeing if people have anything new to add to this thread. I still see sporadic mentions of JD here and there on this forum (mostly pro, some con). It's not clear what settings all the pro-HD people are using.
I've gone back and forth on JD. I uninstalled it and it seemed like my battery drained a lot faster. I put it back on yesterday and I have had a huge increase. It could be coincidence but for now I'm running it. I just use the basic setting on the free version.

Bar81

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I've gone back and forth on JD. I uninstalled it and it seemed like my battery drained a lot faster. I put it back on yesterday and I have had a huge increase. It could be coincidence but for now I'm running it. I just use the basic setting on the free version.

I am using JD Plus but agree that there is an improvement in non-screen time battery life that is obvious.