Nexus 4 Help - Data Services Not Working (Straight Talk - AT&T)

spano45

May 7, 2010
Visit site
People of Android Central I need your help - My nexus 4 data services are not currently working. I was having issues with data services for the past few days so I did a full reset to factory spec and re-programmed my APN. I followed the directions exact to straight talk's specifications and now I can't send or receive any data. I can send and receive calls and texts. I have included a few screenshots of my settings below. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Does anyone see or know something that is wrong with my settings? I would really appreciate some help! thanks guys!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-12-14-08-49-13.png
    Screenshot_2012-12-14-08-49-13.png
    99.6 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_2012-12-14-08-48-47.png
    Screenshot_2012-12-14-08-48-47.png
    80.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot_2012-12-14-08-48-42.png
    Screenshot_2012-12-14-08-48-42.png
    77.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_2012-12-14-08-48-17.png
    Screenshot_2012-12-14-08-48-17.png
    394.2 KB · Views: 35

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Welocome to the forum!

Try setting your proxy and your port (APN settings) to nothing (blank). That's how I set up my wife's N4 on ST AT&T (mine is on TMo) and it works great.

spano45

May 7, 2010
Visit site
EDIT: I spoke too soon - I am getting data but its back to how it was when i first set up my phone. The data is very very intermittent, at times it flys but for the most part it will show full bars and just contiue to timeout. It is very frustrating and I do not know what the problem is. I have good service where I am (i have tested other people on ATT in the smae spot i am sitting currently and they fly on HSPA+ while I time out. Is it because I am using Straight Talk? Is it my N4, did i get a problem unit? Any help is again greatly appreciated.

WOW its just that simple eh? I just did that and i'm up and running. You my friend have been a great help, Thank You!!

Welocome to the forum!

Try setting your proxy and your port (APN settings) to nothing (blank). That's how I set up my wife's N4 on ST AT&T (mine is on TMo) and it works great.

Last edited:

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Welocome to the forum!

I'm going to try this when I get home, and see if this doesn't cure my intermittent data issues as well. Thanks for the tip!

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
EDIT: I spoke too soon - I am getting data but its back to how it was when i first set up my phone. The data is very very intermittent, at times it flys but for the most part it will show full bars and just contiue to timeout. It is very frustrating and I do not know what the problem is. I have good service where I am (i have tested other people on ATT in the smae spot i am sitting currently and they fly on HSPA+ while I time out. Is it because I am using Straight Talk? Is it my N4, did i get a problem unit? Any help is again greatly appreciated.
!

I just checked my settings with yours, the only difference is that I took the proxy out at the top (still have the Port set to 80) and at the bottom where it says APN type, I have: default,supl,mms

Try those changes and see if your data works any better.

caspian154

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if the issue you were having was because you had tracfone spelled wrong in the proxy. The proxy should be proxy.mvno.tracfone.com not "tracphone" acording to the straighttalk setup instructions.

I would keep it without the proxy though - if it is working. I removed the proxy on mine and it works great! Previously I couldn't use the speedtest.net app (which concerns me that other things probably weren't going to work). Thanks for this!

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if the issue you were having was because you had tracfone spelled wrong in the proxy. The proxy should be proxy.mvno.tracfone.com not "tracphone" acording to the straighttalk setup instructions.

I would keep it without the proxy though - if it is working. I removed the proxy on mine and it works great! Previously I couldn't use the speedtest.net app (which concerns me that other things probably weren't going to work). Thanks for this!

That would certainly be the cause; good catch!

luisito_ortiz

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I set up my Nexus 4 two days ago with Straight Talk. I'll give the settings I got directly from Tracfone by calling 1-800-876-5753. Don't bother with the other number, if it's too full you can't even get on queue. I had to call because they screwed up the initial setup since they forgot to include the data connection. I did alter their settings a bit after testing which is why there are comments next to some fields.
Name: straight talk
APN: att.mvno
Proxy: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com ( I suggest leaving this blank. It causes speed tests to fail and leaving it as blank works just as well.)
Port: 80 (This is the tracfone default. Without it my download speed suffers)
User Name: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS proxy: 66.209.11.33
MMS port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication type: Not set
APN type: Not set (This is the tracfone default and works fine for me. Having or not having "default,supl,mms" doesn't affect my service at all.)
APN protocol: IPv4 (IPv4/IPv6 works as well and doesn't affect my speed)
APN enable/disable: APN enabled (this is grayed out with a check mark in the box)
Bearer: Unspecified

paral3ellum

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I've been using my N4 on AT&T Straight Talk for 2 months now; I can verify that adding the proxy SEVERELY degrades the data throughput. I go from 4-6M down and 1-2M up to about 250K down and 100K up.

luisito_ortiz

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Straight Talk settings screenshot

e17tbb.png

Dmatvey

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the post!! I had the exact same problem with my Nexus 4. Funny though, my Wife's Samsung Slide works just fine with the Proxy and Port settings.

:confused:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy