Considering Jumping on the Android Bandwagon

hossman12

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I would go with the S3. At first like you i was worried about the plastic, but now I'm actually extremely pleased with it. It not only keeps the phone light, but if I ever scratch up the back the cover is very easy to replace. The phone is also a powerhouse and will handle all your storage needs without a hitch. The glass back on the Nexus is what would have me worried. Judging from the posts here, it seems like a delicate phone.

Sent from my MetroPCS GS3

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Also this may be a stupid question. But is there any way to run vanilla android on say an HTC OneX? Or are you stuck with the version on that device?

If you wanna go that route get an s3, you'll need to root and install a custom rom, and Samsungs are practically designed for that sort of thing. HTCs are a headache, only buy an HTC if you like sense and can accept the phone the way it is. Speaking from experience with my former HTC Flyer and my current HTC Vivid.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Also this may be a stupid question. But is there any way to run vanilla android on say an HTC OneX? Or are you stuck with the version on that device?

Try the device first, for all we know you'll love Sense. But for me, coming from using a Droid RAZR (Motoblur-ish), Galaxy Nexus, or even TouchWiz on the S3, I can't stand using Sense.

But, to each their own, love the Android variety!

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Try the device first, for all we know you'll love Sense. But for me, coming from using a Droid RAZR (Motoblur-ish), Galaxy Nexus, or even TouchWiz on the S3, I can't stand using Sense.

But, to each their own, love the Android variety!

Yeah I don't care much for it on my vivid, but 4 seems a ton nicer

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Originally Posted by Hubertsng<br />
What I say is that don't get a Nexus 4 unless you want to wait. S3 might be a better option because the hardware is almost the same but the S3 has a bigger screen. Also you can expand it. The people selling Nexus 4 on ebay are complete rip offs and you shouldn't go for that. Either get the S3 if you are impatient or wait for the Nexus 4. <br />
1. You have google play music, where you store over 20,000 songs (that can be over 60GB)<br />
2. There isn't really but you put everything into the google account and from there you can sync with other devices when you sign in<br />
3. There is NO syncing (I think) just drag and drop with a program, MUCH easier than apple. I hate ing iTunes syncing, kept getting me confused<br />
One big thing to keep in mind, the 8GB only gives about 5GB of actual space and the 16GB gives about 14.7GB I think. 8GB is not worth it if you are going to put music<br />
<br />
One other thing, rooting your device will give you titanium backup, where you can put your things and restore your device much easier than iCloud.
<br />
<br />
Regarding iCloud syncing, contrary to Hubertsng's belief, you can sync your mail, contacts, and calendar on an Android device using [URL="https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...Sync+for+iCloud&quot%3B=&token=sL_QjV9D]these apps[/URL]. Email is done through the email app, no workaround needed. No way to sync notes but Evernote is a great free solution that is far more robust and allows you to sync notes across all of your devices (Mac or PC, iDevice or Android).<br />
<br />
Also, as Hubertsng advised, Titanium Backup is a great app for backing up your data and really is a must as back via your Google account is next to useless as it does not back up any app data as is done via iCloud or iTunes. And in order to use any third party backup solution, you must root your device--not difficult but required.<br />
<br />
FWIW, I'm also a heavy Apple user but picked up a Nexus 4 and am enjoying it so far, for the most part. The device itself is rock solid--best materials and build quality of any Android device I've seen and screams along with Jelly Bean.<br />
<br />
And I see you said you're in Canada and Google Music isn't available to you yet but if you can set it up with a spoofed IP, it's a great service--as long as you don't have data limitations.
Check out www.companionlink.com you can sync Outlook mail, calendar, notes, tasks etc. Wirelessly from computer to phone and vise versa. Very handy.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
The Optimus G is a great phone, and the Optimus ui is pretty nice. I'd almost recommend it over the one x plus because it a bit more future proof with the best Android chipset currently on the market and 2 gigs of Ram.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Take everyone's opinion into consideration but if you want a cheap phone, Nexus 4 is your choice. The Nexus 4 is also the most powerful smart phone right now for android but the storage space is lacking and that's when you would want to jump to another phone. Like i said before, the S3 is a great choice but you can't go run with the GNex either if you like how the google nexus 4 looks.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I have a hard time with this subject because I looked at 3 phones myself in light of the nexus 4 shortage, and I really liked the one X plus the best, just worried its going to be this year's vivid, and get phased out too quickly just like the vivid.

But if you don't care about software updates then it's fine. It's fast, powerful, and a ton of local storage. And simply put its the best looking android phone out there.

Really imo its completely up to date with software currently as far as I'm concerned. I got 4.2 on my Nexus 7, and imo its kind of a nexus centric update. Most of its features are already available on sense anyway. I could see a lot of oems just passing on 4.2 honestly

Last edited:

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
If you wanna go that route get an s3, you'll need to root and install a custom rom, and Samsungs are practically designed for that sort of thing. HTCs are a headache, only buy an HTC if you like sense and can accept the phone the way it is. Speaking from experience with my former HTC Flyer and my current HTC Vivid.

Really? That's bad news for me. I'm shopping for a new phone, and I want something that I can upgrade. But the Nexus isn't an option -- it doesn't have enough storage, and I am frequently in places where I don't have good data connectivity. I am really dumbfounded that so many people are satisfied with storing everything in the cloud. Good for you, but that's a non-starter for me. I forget why I thought the HTC would be better than the Samsung, but maybe I need to re-think that.

Oh -- now I remember! I've heard people complain about the quality of the radios in the Samsung, and say that the HTC radios are better. True? Again, I have mediocre connectivity, and a good radio makes the difference between being on-line and off-line.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Really? That's bad news for me. I'm shopping for a new phone, and I want something that I can upgrade. But the Nexus isn't an option -- it doesn't have enough storage, and I am frequently in places where I don't have good data connectivity. I am really dumbfounded that so many people are satisfied with storing everything in the cloud. Good for you, but that's a non-starter for me. I forget why I thought the HTC would be better than the Samsung, but maybe I need to re-think that.

Oh -- now I remember! I've heard people complain about the quality of the radios in the Samsung, and say that the HTC radios are better. True? Again, I have mediocre connectivity, and a good radio makes the difference between being on-line and off-line.

Lol honestly Googles sd card policy is ridiculous. I basically am deciding I can live with the sacrifices myself, but would prefer not to.

I still say s3 is your best bet. I owned a Samsung Captivate (basically a Galaxy s1 but at&ts version) before it's ridiculously easy to hack, no locked bootloader, 1 click root programs a plenty, even a 1 click revert to stock program. Samsung cut it off at gingerbread but it still being supported by cyanogenmod. That's why I can't stress the gs3 enough. If you can't deal with the nexus 4s sacrifices, really its the only phone to get!

Jussumguy88

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
I haven't personally seen anyone who came over to the "dark side" lol have any regrets. I think the freedom that you'll experience by switching over will be refreshing.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Ok so here is my final update on the choices haha. I can get an One X+ 64GB, Optimus G or an GS3 for 300 with a contract renewal, or I can get a Nexus 4 for 360 unlocked. Any final thoughts?

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Which N4 are you able to get for 360$? If the 8GB forget it, get the 16GB.
If totally unable to get the 16GB N4, I guess get the Optimus G.

Agreed. 8GB=only 5GB free, 16GB=14.7GB or something, if you are going to put anything worthwhile on the Nexus 4 8GB, you'll run out of space soon enough

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I have a hard time with this subject because I looked at 3 phones myself in light of the nexus 4 shortage, and I really liked the one X plus the best, just worried its going to be this year's vivid, and get phased out too quickly just like the vivid.

But if you don't care about software updates then it's fine. It's fast, powerful, and a ton of local storage. And simply put its the best looking android phone out there.

Really imo its completely up to date with software currently as far as I'm concerned. I got 4.2 on my Nexus 7, and imo its kind of a nexus centric update. Most of its features are already available on sense anyway. I could see a lot of oems just passing on 4.2 honestly

But no Photosphere which, had it been released on an Apple product would have been "mind blowing".

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Ok so here is my final update on the choices haha. I can get an One X+ 64GB, Optimus G or an GS3 for 300 with a contract renewal, or I can get a Nexus 4 for 360 unlocked. Any final thoughts?
I honesty don't think you could lose with any of these phones. My pick would be in order:
1. Nexus 4
2. One X+
3. GS3
4. Optimus G

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37