Considering Jumping on the Android Bandwagon

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. 8GB=only 5GB free, 16GB=14.7GB or something, if you are going to put anything worthwhile on the Nexus 4 8GB, you'll run out of space soon enough

I was on the fence about storage too since I rarely store music locally but what made me go after the 16GB version is that let's face it apps are only going to get larger over time.

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I was on the fence about storage too since I rarely store music locally but what made me go after the 16GB version is that let's face it apps are only going to get larger over time.

Well I mean no app will be over, let's say 50MB, unless your going for a game (I'm just guessing right now, I haven't seen any apps bigger than 50MB) But yeah, this phone is going to be relevant for a long time too, just like GNex is still relevant even with the Nexus 4.
But hey, I'm going to be storing music, pictures, oh and video. If you are going to shoot video, the space depletes rapidly on the 8GB.

leroy_sunset

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
The S3 is on sale today at Best Buy, $50 with contract for any carrier. Sounds like if storage is important to you, that's the way to go. But I personally think the N4 is the best Android phone out there.

You're brave to try the switch. I had the iPhone 3G and loved it. At the time, it was the best phone out there. But I wanted more control, and when the Nexus One came out I jumped ship as soon as I could (even paid an ETF to get out of my contract with AT&T). I have never looked back, and I think the Android platform is far superior (accepting the fact that games are better on the iOS platform, but I don't play mobile games). However, if I was in the iOS environment for as long as you, I probably would have a hard time switching. Good luck.

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The S3 is on sale today at Best Buy, $50 with contract for any carrier. Sounds like if storage is important to you, that's the way to go. But I personally think the N4 is the best Android phone out there.

You're brave to try the switch. I had the iPhone 3G and loved it. At the time, it was the best phone out there. But I wanted more control, and when the Nexus One came out I jumped ship as soon as I could (even paid an ETF to get out of my contract with AT&T). I have never looked back, and I think the Android platform is far superior (accepting the fact that games are better on the iOS platform, but I don't play mobile games). However, if I was in the iOS environment for as long as you, I probably would have a hard time switching. Good luck.

$49 dollars with a two year contract, imo that is still a bit expensive, especially since you still have to have the phone for two years. Can't really upgrade during that time if you want. This is still a good deal (I think, do the math) but not the best out there.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I just said this in another thread, but whatever phone you get, make sure it's an unlocked gsm phone. You will have no contract and way lower monthly bill if you go with an mvno like straight talk or solavei.

If you need lte or like to pay exorbitant monthly fees, then this won't work. :)

Sent from my mako :)p)

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Well I mean no app will be over, let's say 50MB, unless your going for a game (I'm just guessing right now, I haven't seen any apps bigger than 50MB) But yeah, this phone is going to be relevant for a long time too, just like GNex is still relevant even with the Nexus 4.
But hey, I'm going to be storing music, pictures, oh and video. If you are going to shoot video, the space depletes rapidly on the 8GB.
Some games are definately getting big.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Yeah but games are a moot point unless you got a phone like the one X plus that has a ridiculously amount of local storage. SD won't help you with game data, it installs to the default partition regardless which will be your emmc.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

mvp4him3

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
HTC One-X puts all other phones to shame right now, the only problem I see is that it is HTC. I am not a big fan of them. I personally have the droid razr maxx and have loved it. I have flashed numerous ROMs on it and just the versitality of it is amazing. Google Android vs Apple and that will give you all the answers you need.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
HTC One-X puts all other phones to shame right now, the only problem I see is that it is HTC. I am not a big fan of them. I personally have the droid razr maxx and have loved it. I have flashed numerous ROMs on it and just the versitality of it is amazing. Google Android vs Apple and that will give you all the answers you need.

The x+ isn't perfect though. It's got tegra and only a gig of ram. Fine for now but how future proof is that? That's my concern. Imo any phone I get now I want it to be good enough for 2 years of support, and I don't want a newer version of android to cause it to lag like crazy because it needs more ram or worse yet, a canceled update because htc finds it just doesn't have enough ram to run both the new version and sense too.

Really the only flaw, 1 gig is fine now but 2 gigs is the future.

Also if you buy an HTC you gotta accept it for what it is or you'll hate it. They are kind of a developers nightmare when it comes to custom firmware and updates are few and far between.

I say again the gs3 is your best bet. It's got jelly bean now and has all the features you seek. You can't deal with cloud then grab a 64 gig sd and stick it in there. Hate TouchWiz? Put cm on it.

I knew nothing about this stuff and didn't even learn how to use adb until I got my HTC Flyer. They got so many one click tools any idiot can put cm on it.

mvp4him3

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
The x+ isn't perfect though. It's got tegra and only a gig of ram. Fine for now but how future proof is that? That's my concern. Imo any phone I get now I want it to be good enough for 2 years of support, and I don't want a newer version of android to cause it to lag like crazy because it needs more ram or worse yet, a canceled update because htc finds it just doesn't have enough ram to run both the new version and sense too.

Really the only flaw, 1 gig is fine now but 2 gigs is the future.

Also if you buy an HTC you gotta accept it for what it is or you'll hate it. They are kind of a developers nightmare when it comes to custom firmware and updates are few and far between.

I say again the gs3 is your best bet. It's got jelly bean now and has all the features you seek. You can't deal with cloud then grab a 64 gig sd and stick it in there. Hate TouchWiz? Put cm on it.

I knew nothing about this stuff and didn't even learn how to use adb until I got my HTC Flyer. They got so many one click tools any idiot can put cm on it.

To piggy back on that some people dont like the plastic but personally from handling it and seeing how durable it is, if your not going to punt it, throw it, swim with it, or anything else that normal people would not do then you will be fine.

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
To piggy back on that some people dont like the plastic but personally from handling it and seeing how durable it is, if your not going to punt it, throw it, swim with it, or anything else that normal people would not do then you will be fine.

The plastic does add a less premium feel to the phone but it's not that band for handling. When you drop the S3 or other phones with a plastic back, it doesn't break (which is nice) and it just falls off the phone and you just have to put it back on.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site

Yeah I had 4 Samsungs straight before I got the Vivid, they aren't bad, there stuff looks cheap but it holds up well. I've had my fair share of warranty claims but in general it held up well, and from messing with a gs3 it looks to be a bit more solid.

When it comes to build quality nothing beats HTC or Motorola... Well now. Moto used to be pure junk. I had a Windows Mobile Phone back in 2005, Motorola MPx220 to be exact, and the build quality was terrible, it was a flip phone and it was built out flimsy plastic comparable to a toy you'd buy at a dollar store. The sheer weight of flipping it open eventually caused the casing to break next to the hinge, and back then you couldn't get insurance on "data devices" so I got quite familiar with dismantling it and making repairs, but eventually the antenna died and I gotta fed up and grabbed the v557 to finish my contract. The v557s antenna fell off in my pocket one day and I went to put it back on and the cheap plastic threads holding it on had stripped... I was fed up and over Motorola at that point vowed to never buy their shoddy products again after that, and I haven't since, and I still won't but its no longer a build quality issue, it's a bootloader policy with me now lol.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
this get's more and more difficult. I want the Nexus 4, but well.. Google won't let me give them money. And I want the GS3, but I do not want to have to renew a contract. Ideally the Nexus 4 becomes available and I use my 4S and as iPod for now.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
I've been an avid Android user the last 2 years but recently made the switch back to Apple with the 5 since owning the original iPhone.

I owned the Droid, Thunderbolt, Bionic and G-Nex out of all four of those the Moto phones were the best quality then followed HTC. If anything I would wait it out for the N4 because it seems to have the same build quality the iPhone has and I just hate the design of the S3, Samsung's phones are all really starting to look the same now.

I would choose between the N4 or the HOX+ and stay away from the Optimus G since according to Jerry's review the UI looks kiddish and the camera even at 13MP doesn't perform well.

Good luck though Android is an awesome OS!!

Pughypro

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I was in exactly the same boat as you a couple of weeks ago, long term Apple user and wanted to switch. I was getting tired of the same IOS and similar phones. Apples policy of incremental updating was getting old!

I looked at the same phones as you, the SG3, HTC One X+ and Nexus 4. I really liked the look and feel of the HTC, but after a lot of reading and research I decided myself (rightly or wrongly) that I did not want to compromise on getting updates and support as was suggested could be the case with HTC, but not with Google. I also wanted to try the vanilla Android experience having not used it before.

To cut a long story short, I now have a Nexus 4 and am just scratching the surface with android and what I am now able to do that I couldn't before with Apple. So far I am delighted with the change and hey worst case, I can always itch back! ;)

Last edited:

sr2012

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Just got my HTC OneX, couldn't wait any longer and got a good deal just in time for Christmas. Using a custom ROM and it's very very nice so far.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I believe nexus devices really are the best devices for former apple users. Honestly skins like sense and Touchwiz look good and polished playing with phones at the store but day to day usability you won't feel that way. Google's apps have a native android theming that completely clash with Sense theming, and yes updates are just a mess on anything that's not labeled a nexus. Flagship phones from this summer are just now receiving 4.1,and 4.2 is out.

A buddy of mine had the iphone 3G, then upgraded to a 4 and then a 4s, and at that point he had decided he felt like he bought the same phone 3 times, stating there just wasn't enough difference and ready for a change. He found someone on Craigslist this past summer with the Galaxy Nexus looking to trade in for an iphone 4s, and thats what he did, and he couldn't be happier. He loves the nexus.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hell, I switched because the Nexus 4 is cheap as hell and so much better than the iphone with that price.
But this is kind of getting away from what device he should get.
The S3 is getting a bit chip and I think my friend bought his for $25 with a contract which is nice. There are also contract free ones going for 400 I think.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
this get's more and more difficult. I want the Nexus 4, but well.. Google won't let me give them money. And I want the GS3, but I do not want to have to renew a contract. Ideally the Nexus 4 becomes available and I use my 4S and as iPod for now.

WAAAAAIIIIITTTTTTT. Just got my N4 and this thing is crazy nice. So smooth and beautiful. Battery has been great for me. The HTC one x+ is a gorgeous device but you really can't put enough value on getting the latest and greatest updates. It's like your phone is constantly being renewed with new toys. Samsung realizes how important this is so they have stepped up with updates but the N4 is so cheap that anyone would be crazy to not go for it. Plus I am in Canada so I get LTE too.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781