nexus 4 using up my mobile data wtf?1?1

jinjin12

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
so i'm on the unlimited text + 1000 minutes plan. i have to pay per use for mobile data, it's like 2 bucks per MB. i don't use data though. however, when i got the nexus, i didn't realize that mobile data was enabled by default and i didn't know that i could be even charged since i don't have have a data plan. but anyway, i checked my account and seen that it used 2 mb of data, which is weird since it should have been using my internet anyway since i had wifi connected. so i turned off mobile data ever since i found out it was on by default.

so am i good? is this it? are there any other settings i should know about to make sure it's not using mobile data and wasting me money?

peejay1977

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
If mobile data is off it shouldn't ever rack up charges. You could erase the APN settings just to be sure. If mobile data is off MMS messages won't send (I don't think).

Data is enabled on all phones by default.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

jinjin12

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
If mobile data is off it shouldn't ever rack up charges. You could erase the APN settings just to be sure. If mobile data is off MMS messages won't send (I don't think).

Data is enabled on all phones by default.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
it's my first smartphone :D so i didn't know. i had a flip phone before lol

jinjin12

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Why would you get a smartphone without a data plan?

it's like buying a Ferrari and never filling up the gas tank.
everyone has there own preferences and reasons, just cause you like to waste money on data browsing facebook on the subway, don't mean that i do. i don't use data, it's a waste of money. i was using a flip phone + an ipod touch but it was getting annoying to carry both and also the ipod touch had no gps, which i needed for some offline maps programs. also the new ipod touch is $300 and a neuxs 4 is $300....what would you choose?

it's useful to have both in one without the hassle and plus i can still read pdfs, check my email with wifi, listen to music and use maps. again if you like data then good for you, it's not for me. also your comparison with a smartphone with no data plan vs a ferrari w/ no gas is piss poor. having no gas on a ferrari means it's useless. however, have no data plan, means almost nothing for a smartphone, it's only a very small part. and for someone like me, data plan is useless. the ferrari is not functional without gas where the smartphone is plenty functional without data plan.

Last edited:

android newb

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
everyone has there own preferences and reasons, just cause you like to waste money on data browsing facebook on the subway, don't mean that i do. i don't use data, it's a waste of money. i was using a flip phone + an ipod touch but it was getting annoying to carry both and also the ipod touch had no gps, which i needed for some offline maps programs. also the new ipod touch is $300 and a neuxs 4 is $300....what would you choose?

it's useful to have both in one without the hassle and plus i can still read pdfs, check my email with wifi, listen to music and use maps. again if you like data then good for you, it's not for me. also your comparison with a smartphone with no data plan vs a ferrari w/ no gas is piss poor. having no gas on a ferrari means it's useless. however, have no data plan, means almost nothing for a smartphone, it's only a very small part. and for someone like it, data plan is useless. the ferrari is not functional without gas where the smartphone is plenty functional without data plan.

Totally agree. What can't you do on wifi that you can't on data? Occasional gaming, assistant apps don't refuse wifi, plus I don't have the habit of using my phone while driving. Why would I need internet on the road.