Canadian Nexus 4 Ordered On December 3rd - Receiving the device

V-Tech

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
So after out long wait, starting tomorrow or Tuesday we should should finally get our great N4 :)

I wanted to open a new thread for this so we can all post when we receive the device and our first impression of it. Other topics are just to large now and i think it's appropriate to have a new one.

Let's all hope for an earlier arrival :)

V-Tech

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
So no early arrival for us but starting tomorrow (Tuesday) we will start getting our devices :)

Let's all share our first impressions of the device and have a nice discussion about it.

Good luck to us all :)

VertigoM

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Just received the phone and I've encountered one problem already. Whenever I go to the Google Play store on my PC (thru a browser) I do not see my Nexus 4 listed as one of my Devices. Then when I try installing apps from my browser, I get an error message ?You haven?t accessed the Google Play Store app on your device with this email account." But I HAVE accessed the Play Store from my Nexus 4 and I've logged in with my google account. What gives???

EDIT: After updating a few apps my device now appears on the Play store and I no longer get the above error message. Now time to play with my device! I will post my first impressions later this evening :)

Last edited:

V-Tech

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Got the device guy's :)

Opening the box now (with a small tear in my eye) and it looks very cool.
I came home only for few hours and then i need to get back to work. Dont have a SIM for it yet, will take care of it tomorrow i guess.

Will post my first impression later on.

V-Tech

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
My first impression of the device....

So i'm coming from a BB Torch 9810 and i have to say WOW.

1. I thought that it will be a bit more complicated to learn a whole new system from 0 because it's the first time i have an Android device and i have to say that i was wrong. Android (at least for me) is very easy to use. Just took me few minutes to understand how the system works and from that points it's very easy.

2. The size of the screen and the quality of the screen is amazing for me. Of course it's not even close to the much smaller screen of my BB but still the screen looks just amazing.

3. Surfing the web is so fast and easy to do. This was of the the biggest down sides of the BB, surfing was slow and the small screen was problematic.My BB was H+ as the N4 but speed difference is not even close.

4. Play store is very easy to use. Most of the apps that i wanted i already download and installed without any problem.

Few negatives -

1. I'm still not able to set my profiles for different tones as i'm used on my BB which is a big down side for me but i'm still looking for a solution. Got one app "Quick Profiles" which is nice but not exactly what i'm looking for.

2. For some reason the data usage jumps from H+ to 3G from time to time and i'm not sure why.

3. For some reason there is not vibrate settings for when i receive messages. Maybe there is somewhere but i was not able to find it yet.

All in all i'm very happy with the device. Will keep tweaking the device to it will be just as i want it :)

bambamd

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Got my Nexus about an hour or so...First impression, so far so good. Feels good, looks good. My previous phone was an IPhone 4, which I have no complaints but was due for an upgrade. Total cost for nexus 400$ +, 16gb. Why didn't I get the iPhone 5? A longer screen with no youtube & google map was not IMHO a plausible upgrade. So reading online and being a. Major google fan with storage purchase, picasa, gmail and G+ the next logical step was to defect to a Nexus 4. I'm new to the android scene, never own any android devices only an ipad 3, blackberry playbook and iPhone 3 & 4. That being said I did not feel like WOW when I started looking at the layout and stock apps on the Nexus. What I notice that bothered me was I found the speaker terrible compare to my iPhone 4, the screen resolution on full brightness was a bit disappointing since I could notice the pixels, something I could not notice on the retina display. I also found the stock camera of 8mb not that crisp, closing the phone make the screen flash like an old TV being turn off with a line on the center of the screen. I know this is my first hour of playing with Android and Nexus and maybe my expectations are set too high but if you want to dent apple market share with this phone u need to go big or go home and I didn't see or feel this on my initial testing of the Nexus. I'm sure with time I'll learn to love it but this is my first impression!

jimrebello

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android. The jumping from 3g to H is probably just when data is idle. At least that's how it is on my 2 year old phone. It says 3g until it starts loading and then changes to H.

Sent from my SGH-I896 using Android Central Forums

V-Tech

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android. The jumping from 3g to H is probably just when data is idle. At least that's how it is on my 2 year old phone. It says 3g until it starts loading and then changes to H.

Sent from my SGH-I896 using Android Central Forums

Thanks for the info! I'm starting to find the settings to change notice ringtones in each messenger app :)

VertigoM

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
3. For some reason there is not vibrate settings for when i receive messages. Maybe there is somewhere but i was not able to find it yet.

Open up the Messaging app then go to Settings. At the bottom there is a setting to enable Vibrate under Notifications.

JJDigitized

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Only half a day's use in so far, but I'm loving the Nexus 4. I was a Nexus S user for about 2 years, then had a Galaxy S3 (which is now my wife's) before this phone.

The thing that really has blown my mind is just how GORGEOUS this screen is. Even compared to the S3, it's a big improvement.

Very happy so far, well worth the struggle to get and wait (not so patiently) for.

VertigoM

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Why is Chrome constantly draining battery even if I'm not using it? Whenever I go check the Battery status Chrome is always near the top at 19%. Is this normal?

V-Tech

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Why is Chrome constantly draining battery even if I'm not using it? Whenever I go check the Battery status Chrome is always near the top at 19%. Is this normal?

I dont have it. The main thing in my phone is the screen time because i'm using it a lot now :)

VertigoM

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I'm reading the battery usage details incorrectly. Does the percentage shown indicate the current instantaneous usage or the history of battery usage over a set amount of time?

I was using Chrome heavily before so perhaps that's why it's still showing up on the usage details list.

V-Tech

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I'm reading the battery usage details incorrectly. Does the percentage shown indicate the current instantaneous usage or the history of battery usage over a set amount of time?

I was using Chrome heavily before so perhaps that's why it's still showing up on the usage details list.

I'm still not sure how it calculates the % there, i'll try to read about it a bit more.

Maybe it's since the last charge or something.

MrNinjaPanda

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
My first impression of the device....

1. I'm still not able to set my profiles for different tones as i'm used on my BB which is a big down side for me but i'm still looking for a solution. Got one app "Quick Profiles" which is nice but not exactly what i'm looking for.

I've been using Profile Scheduler. I've tried couple of different profile apps, and I think this one is the best.

fmeragli

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I got the device today too. I mentioned in the other thread that I had a scare because for some reason the UPS guy decided to leave it outside my door - and I live in a large apartment complex, I wouldn't put it past some of my neighbours to have swiped it if they had noticed (luckily he tried to stuff it into the corner of the door). lol anyway... YAY NEXUS!