WAY too hot!!

mattdo93

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
My Nexus 4 was working fine for the past couple of days. Then one morning I wake up and find it at 68% when I know I charged it in overnight. I check the battery and it flashes between "Not charging" and "Charging (AC)". So I take it off and use it for the rest of the day.

It dies about 2 hours before I go to sleep and I charge it. I check on it 15 minutes later and it barely charged at all. I check the battery and it says it's "Charging (USB)". But it's plugged into an outlet....

I factory reset, try charging it again with different outlets and still says Charging (USB), which is very slow. Phone dies while I'm at school and I plugged it in as soon as I get home. I check back an hour later, turn on the phone, and it's at 44 degrees Celsius with 1%.

TL;DR Phone gets way too hot, way too quick, and charges way too slow.

Help?

Screenshot_2012-12-18-12-49-33_zpsa48d953f.png

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like you have a runaway app running in the background. You can try going to Settings -> Battery and see what the biggest users are to maybe get an idea where the problem is.

In general, rebooting can solve these issues. With phone on, press and hold power button until menu appears; select Power Off and OK. After shutdown, press and hold power button for 5 seconds until haptic feedback, then release. Phone will reboot.

If the problem returns, you are going to have to figure out which app is responsible. It is always an app; take my word for it.

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Holy crap 41 C? Just a headsup but that's bad for the battery to be in that heat and it'll drain and die faster.
Well anyways shut it off for a bit and wait until it cools down, if this persists then check your battery and see what is taking a majority of the process.
you can also underclock the phone so it won't run as much processess.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Factory reset won't get rid of the runaway app?

Also, would this heat shorten the battery's lifespan? I'm most likely gonna RMA

The factory reset should have eliminated the problem had it been an app (that's assuming you didn't then install all the old apps back on it again). If you did, it could be an incompatible app. Can you recall installing any right before this behavior started? You might try another factory reset and let it sit for a day with total stock apps and see what happens. If it still misbehaves, then it's RMA time.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
You don't need a factory reset, just a reboot. Reboot will stop anything that is locked up or caught in a loop.

It may never happen again or if you have installed a truly wayward app the problem will return the next time you run that particular app.

Nonymous666

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like you have a runaway app running in the background. You can try going to Settings -> Battery and see what the biggest users are to maybe get an idea where the problem is.
Yeah, you definitely need to do this as a start.

Just yesterday I charged my phone up in the morning at work to 100%. Took it with me at lunch time and carried it into the afternoon. Just a couple hours later I turned it back on and it was down to 50% charge already. Checked the battery status and it said the Maps app was using like 60% of the battery. wft, I hadn't even looked at Maps in days or played with any Location settings at all.

mattdo93

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
The only strange, out of the ordinary apps I recall installing were the Yahoo Weather app from the Play Store and this live wallpaper: [Live Wallpaper GUMMY] Gummy Beam - APK attached - xda-developers Everything else is just social media apps (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.) I also turned off Google Now

I turned off the phone and let it rest for awhile and now it's normal, cold temperature again. What exactly should I do now? I don't want to mess this up and it's at 4% so it'll probably drain really fast.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Try charging it with the phone off. Wait a few moments after you plug it in and it should display charging status on the screen for a few seconds.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Leave your phone off and charge it up. If you reinstalled your aps after the factory reset, delete the live wallpaper (and anything else you suspect) and see if that makes a difference.

Sent from my SGSIII

mattdo93

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Right now the phone is getting warm, but it's not 41 C hot...yet. I'm about to leave for work so I'll post an update in about 5 hours. I wouldn't be surprised if it's only like 30% and charging via USB though.

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Right now the phone is getting warm, but it's not 41 C hot...yet. I'm about to leave for work so I'll post an update in about 5 hours. I wouldn't be surprised if it's only like 30% and charging via USB though.

It shouldn't get warm (I don't think) if you aren't doing anything intensive for the hardware. Only thing that should do that is graphics intensive games and notice how I say graphics intensive? The daily use won't make it that warm and shouldn't, not even a live wallpaper.

mattdo93

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Just got back from work. Felt the phone and it was damn hot. Turned it on and guess what? 42 C and the phone's only at 7%. After 5 hours. What kind of sick app would be doing this, or was that Gummy Beam thing a virus?

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Just got back from work. Felt the phone and it was damn hot. Turned it on and guess what? 42 C and the phone's only at 7%. After 5 hours. What kind of sick app would be doing this, or was that Gummy Beam thing a virus?

Install a trusted anti-virus software then, i heard kaspersky is number one on a computer so try getting that for android. This is not normal, ask for a replacement device on google and see if you are able to get another one.

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like you have a bad battery... Send the phone back, and get a replacement.

It's not the battery's problem (at least I don't think it is) it was just manufactured faulty. I'm guessing that there is something wrong with either the processor or the fact that the phone is allowing to expel all the heat that it is making from the processor and is sent onto the battery, making it extremely hot. (again this is just a hypothesis)

mycrownvic02#WN

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Could be, however after working as a tech in the phone industry for many years now, its not uncommon that a failed battery could be the issue. I've tested thousands of phones, and often times, the batteries were the issue rather than the hardware most of the time. I guess it remains to be seen until we start seeing more of these issues.

andr0idralphie

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Install a trusted anti-virus software then, i heard kaspersky is number one on a computer so try getting that for android. This is not normal, ask for a replacement device on google and see if you are able to get another one.

I agree 100% about antivirus but I wouldn't go with Kaspersky for Android. I had it for a few weeks on my Sensation 4G and it suffers from a serious design flaw; its major weakness is that, quite sporadically, yet quite often, it will not load at boot and launching it will force you to set it up all over again as if you never installed it. The culprit? Google Play Store's cache! It's even under Troubleshooting in their product description, which they blame on Google, conveniently. How often do end users remember to clear the Play Store cache? Yet that will have Kaspersky not load at boot and force a paid user to re-authenticate and go through setup again and again. Even when the phone would start to act like it needed to be rebooted and I did remember to clear the cache... no dice, many times I'd miss the magical window.

Kaspersky is best for PC, I won't trust my Android device to them again anytime soon.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Google won't issue an RMA until tech support walks him through a full factory restore and the phone is tested with no add-on apps whatsoever. If the OP hasn't done this yet, he may as well do so now.