Nexus 4 rebooting itself (sort of)

falcor87

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I think it has happened about 4 or 5 times now since I've had the device (about 1 month). My phone will randomly go to the colorful glowing X screen for about 5 seconds and then come back. All my apps shutdown and apps such as light flow show a notification as they start up again (similar to when I turn the phone on) so it appears that the phone is restarting, but at the same time given that it's extremely quick as compared to rebooting the phone manually I'm not sure if the phone is actually turning off and on. Regardless, it's annoying and while it hasn't happened yet it could occur at a very unfortunate moment.

Anyone else experiencing this, or has experienced it in the past on other phones? Any information about what might be the culprit would be helpful.

Parth Ghetia

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
This has happened to me a few times too. I don't remember what I was doing each time it happened, but it's exactly as you describe. I'm on 4.2.1

davela72

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I saw this for the first time yesterday. I was updating a few apps from the Play Store and all of a sudden the logo was doing it's thing on the screen. It hasn't happened since so hopefully it was a freak thing.

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
This is a known issue with the OS itself and Google is working on a fix. No ETA was given by them however so who knows when but your device isn't defective. It is just a bug across the entire OS of 4.2

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

NoahJohnson

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Got my replacement and have used it extensively for about a day. Not one reboot so far where the old phone would have rebooted about 5 times. I have all the same programs installed on 4.2.1. It seems to definitely have been a hardware issue.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

slduffer

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
I had the rebooting problem with my first phone and received a replacement device yesterday. Unfortunately, the new phone is doing the same thing. I can force the reboot by turning on wifi then turning it off. The phone locks up and reboots. My wife has the same phone and hers doesn't do this so I don't think it is an operating system issue. I've called google support and they haven't heard of this problem. Their only suggestion is to perform a factory reset. My wife and I have the same apps so I don't think that is the problem. The only difference I know of is that my phone is encrypted so I can receive work e-mails. Any suggestions for fixing this problem would be appreciated.

pat_the_cat

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I had an issue with mine today doing a complete reboot. I was listening to a podcast with BeyondPod and taking pictures. While previewing the last picture I took the screen froze and it rebooted. Not sure if that was a kernel panic or it was a memory thing. First time I had seen it happen.

eeleechan

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
The exact same thing happened to my N4 yesterday i.e. the same day I bought the phone. It happened once, so I just thought maybe it's got to do with OS updating.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

sandipsangani

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same problem since yesterday dec 23, 2012 and today is 24th it happens to me twice today in 1 hour. I immediately called google and they are aware of this situation.

They are sending me replacement unit on dec 26 after christmas and then i have to send my defective one. Thankfully they have some device in stock for replacement and guy on technical department told me it could be software problem and it could be LCD problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781