T-Mobile Nexus 4 contract cancelled

corance

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Btw, if you really want to rip them off and screw someone to get what you want, TMobile is doing "$0 down" on phones including the n4. Now you can get it completely free....

sillar68

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Then you will be billed for the remaining $300. How does this make sense? $199(initial cost) + $200 (cancellation fee) + $300(remaining balance billed) = $600 for a $349 phone. Explain how this is a deal?

There is no $200 ETF/cancellation fee if you cancelled BEFORE 14 days and keep the phone.

Google charging $349 is NOT an official retail price and PROBABLY SUBSIDIZED by Google.

corance

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Look you're not going to get a $500 phone (TMobile price) for $200 by some scam that carriers are aware of. It will come back to you sooner or later. End of discussion.

Doooshty

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
There is no $200 ETF/cancellation fee if you cancelled BEFORE 14 days and keep the phone.

Google charging $349 is NOT an official retail price and PROBABLY SUBSIDIZED by Google.

OK. So paying 499 (199+300 billed for later) for a phone that you could wait and get for 349 isn't smart either, but some people have more money than sense.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Then you will be billed for the remaining $300. How does this make sense? $199(initial cost) + $200 (cancellation fee) + $300(remaining balance billed) = $600 for a $349 phone. Explain how this is a deal?

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of the 'value' plans where you have a remaining balance due on the phone, normally billed out to you over a period of time (I think it's either 15 or 18 months, not sure). With purchase under a 'classic' plan, T-mo takes a subsidy against the device, selling it outright to you for $199. Their only recourse for recovery is the ETF, $200, whose primary purpose is cost recovery against device subsidy.

Doooshty

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure you're thinking of the 'value' plans where you have a remaining balance due on the phone, normally billed out to you over a period of time (I think it's either 15 or 18 months, not sure). With purchase under a 'classic' plan, T-mo takes a subsidy against the device, selling it outright to you for $199. Their only recourse for recovery is the ETF, $200, whose primary purpose is cost recovery against device subsidy.

No. If its cancelled during buyers remorse and you keep the phone you will be billed the difference. Do you think carriers are dumb. Why would anyone buy a phone then just get a phone for free or $99 then cancel in 15 days then sign up for prepay.

Once you enter the contract, THEN the only recourse is the ETF. If you cancel before you will be billed if you don't return the phone

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
While now this is a hypothetical situation, it was very real until about a week ago:

Google Play out of stock, phone going on the open market for $400-500 second hand -- so without warranty.

Buy from T-Mo under classic plan for $199 (sign up through a business sales rep (they will gladly sell individual lines) to save activation fee, possibly get a better price). 16 days later, cancel, pay $200 ETF. Own the phone for $199 + tax + 200 = ~ $420. That's a premium of about $25 over the cost from Play store, and you still have a warranty. You'll also have had to pay for service for that timeframe, but you also have that service to start with before switching it to another service provider (and you can port your number to T-mo at the start ,and away at the end).

In short, you pay a small premium over the Play store price, but get it much, much faster, and for less than buying it second-hand without warranty.

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
While now this is a hypothetical situation, it was very real until about a week ago:

Google Play out of stock, phone going on the open market for $400-500 second hand -- so without warranty.

Buy from T-Mo under classic plan for $199 (sign up through a business sales rep (they will gladly sell individual lines) to save activation fee, possibly get a better price). 16 days later, cancel, pay $200 ETF. Own the phone for $199 + tax + 200 = ~ $420. That's a premium of about $25 over the cost from Play store, and you still have a warranty. You'll also have had to pay for service for that timeframe, but you also have that service to start with before switching it to another service provider (and you can port your number to T-mo at the start ,and away at the end).

In short, you pay a small premium over the Play store price, but get it much, much faster, and for less than buying it second-hand without warranty.

If you read around LG is honoring the warranty on the device when Google Play doesn't. Also I called Google Play while picking up my Nexus 4 second hand. They asked for the IMEI and may Google account email address and I was all set.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678