2 Weeks With the Nexus 4

Rezorate

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
So, I received my Nexus 4 two weeks ago - I am not happy. The phone's pricing is amazing, and for $300 I wasn't expecting much, however, coming from an iPhone, build quality was my biggest concern. I plan on returning my phone tomorrow, as it's day 15. The Android OS is ugly, and confusing. I am a very tech-friendly guy, and work a lot with computers and other electronics, but the OS is just plain bad. I had friend after friend tell me that I would enjoy Android and the customization that it allows for - wow, were they wrong. I had grown tired of the iOS ecosystem on my iPhone 4S and wanted something new, and fell in love with the Nexus 4 and its price when I saw it.

I received the phone after 2 weeks of waiting, and ripped the packaging open like a kid on Christmas day. Initially, I was happy with what I saw -- the sparkly back, the smooth beveled edge of the screen, and the huge 4.7" glistening screen. I was disappointed by the lack of headphones, but remembered the price tag and assured myself all was well. I turned on the phone and took my first dive into the Android operating system, happy as can be. The first app I opened after setup was the music app, Google Music I believe. The UI of the app was terrible and 2006-ish. I tried to get over it and uploaded some music to the phone (which was a lot simpler than using iTunes - well done, Google.), and loaded up the app again, this time with a small part of my library on it.

As I maneuvered around the app, I realized that it was not only poorly designed, but a pain to navigate! I would switch from one artist to the other with 4-5 clicks, where on my iPhone it only took 2. The music app wasn't my only disappointment as I made my way around the phone. The next app I tried out was Google Chrome, which came pre-loaded on the phone. The app was sluggish and laggy upon first use. I tried going to Google, Yahoo!, and other popular websites, only to see that they all loaded slowly and inefficiently compared to my prior phone. Spec-wise, the phone seemed amazing compared to the iPhone, but I guess it's more about software than hardware on a mobile device.The camera on the Nexus 4 is sub-par compared to my iPhone 4S, and the software buttons take away that nice 'click' you get when you press the home button on an iPhone.

Build quality - lacking. The day I took my phone out of the box, I noticed that by the corner at the top left, the 'chrome' bevel was lifting from the black plastic part. To this day it's still separated and ugly. Speaking of the bevel, coming from an iPhone it looks and feels cheap. Plastic? Really, Google? Once again, price-tag. The screen, though, is definitely the Nexus 4's high point. It's a beautiful, smoothly beveled edge that doesn't scratch easily. The volume rocker and power button also look and feel cheap - not surprisingly. After the 2 weeks I've spent with the phone, the power button seems to make an annoying squeak when I press it, which it didn't the first few days. The notification light, I must say though, is pretty cool.

As far as smart phone's go, I wouldn't give the Nexus 4 as much praise as most people seem to be. The pricing is definitely amazing, but the flaws outweigh that pretty price tag to me. I was disappointed by the phone's OS, camera, and build quality. I was also impressed by certain aspects, such as the screen, the notification light, and the specs. The lack of available accessories from Google is also a bummer, but I'll let you decide whether that's a flaw worthy of dictating one's purchase of the device.

Eric1987

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
You aren't tech saavy if you had a problem using Google Music. Chrome wasn't laggy on my Galaxy Note. Troll thread move along everyone nothing to see.

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Its all personal preference. My girlfriend came from iPhone and loves the Android OS as well as the larger screen, etc. At least you gave it a try, Android isn't for you. Still love my nexus 4 after switching from my iPhone 4S and the Android experience.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Woodsy

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
So basically you have no clue what you're talking about. These forums are for the improvement of Android. Not the bashing of it. Bad troll is bad.

Sent from the greatest phone in the world, The Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon.

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I always wonder how many of the people who complain about "Plastic" on everything outside of iPhone were bashing the 3G and 3GS or was that acceptable "Plastic" because it had a shinny silver apple logo on it.

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
So basically you have no clue what you're talking about. These forums are for the improvement of Android. Not the bashing of it. Bad troll is bad.

And here you are bashing Nexus 4 by saying the Note 2 is the best phone :p

And I dont know what the this guy is talking about, everything is ing easy but there are some settings that you have to be more advanced to know but on the surface, it's just like the simplicity of an iphone. And are you kidding me? The android UI is ugly? Well , if you don't like it, guess what? YOU CAN CUSTOMIZE IT TO LOOK LIKE AN IPHONE!

Rezorate

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to know how, if I'm not tech saavy, that I can work as a web developer? I wouldn't have spent all that time writing this if it were a troll. I was sincerely disappointed by the phone, Eric.

Rezorate

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Its all personal preference. My girlfriend came from iPhone and loves the Android OS as well as the larger screen, etc. At least you gave it a try, Android isn't for you. Still love my nexus 4 after switching from my iPhone 4S and the Android experience.

Hey, thanks for being understanding. I guess you're right. It's just a little much for me, as I like things better, simpler. Have fun with your phone!

Rezorate

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site

Oh, I'm sorry forum moderator. I'll be sure to follow the clearly written rules about bashing Android next time I make a thread. Could you kindly point out to me where I didn't know what I was talking about? Thanks!

Rezorate

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I didn't create this thread to 'bash' Android, nor to 'troll.' I was expressing my feeling about the phone, if you don't like what I write, move on. I'm not here to please anyone - just to give my experience with the Nexus 4.

Rezorate

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I always wonder how many of the people who complain about "Plastic" on everything outside of iPhone were bashing the 3G and 3GS or was that acceptable "Plastic" because it had a shinny silver apple logo on it.

I definitely didn't like the 3GS I owned, I just feel like a cell phone should be well built. Plastic is cheap and so was the 3GS' build quality.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
As I maneuvered around the app, I realized that it was not only poorly designed, but a pain to navigate! I would switch from one artist to the other with 4-5 clicks, where on my iPhone it only took 2. The music app wasn't my only disappointment as I made my way around the phone.

It's true that this app is not very good, but here's where (if you give it a chance) you're going to like Android. There are a lot of amazing music players in the Play store (Google's version of the App Store) and unlike Apple's iOS, you can make those music player apps the default music player! That's right, you don't have to use Google's music player. In Apple, you can install other apps, but only Apple's apps can be the default. So if you click a link (for example), it'll open only in Safari. Not so in Android! Please give the other apps a try. Install one from the Play Store. Here's some options: 10 best Android music players

The next app I tried out was Google Chrome, which came pre-loaded on the phone.

Yes, this is a known issue - CHROME SUCKS. But that's not a problem! Install either Firefox or Dolphin and you'll have a great browser. And then set it as the default and all your links will be handled by that instead of Chrome!

The camera on the Nexus 4 is sub-par compared to my iPhone 4S, and the software buttons take away that nice 'click' you get when you press the home button on an iPhone.

Yes, the camera sucks. Again, here's where Android shines, replace the camera app! 12 Best Camera Apps

Build quality - lacking. The day I took my phone out of the box, I noticed that by the corner at the top left, the 'chrome' bevel was lifting from the black plastic part. To this day it's still separated and ugly.

I can't help you there but it could just be a bad device. Remember, Apple's had the same issues. People have had yellowed screens, pre-scratched iPhone 5 bezels/corners, antannae problems - it happens.

I hope this helps!

Note to everyone here who yelled at OP and called him a troll: isn't this forum supposed to be where we help each other and offer useful information?

Eric1987

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
I'd like to know how, if I'm not tech saavy, that I can work as a web developer? I wouldn't have spent all that time writing this if it were a troll. I was sincerely disappointed by the phone, Eric.

That doesn't mean . I've had computer techs tell my friends not to put thermal compound on their CPU's. In my eyes that makes them an idiot and not tech saavy. Your title doesn't mean . My "tech" friend also couldn't even put his CPU Heatsink/fan on correctly and left it half hanging off. Guess what? He graduated from ITT Tech. Your title means nothing. Your passion means everything.

josegb2011

May 2, 2012
Visit site
I respect your opinion on the nexus 4 and android but all this problems your having can be fixed easily by going to the play store and getting your needs..if i learned one thing from ios users is that a lot of them do not have a good IQ at least when it comes to tech and can only handle iphones simplicity.android is proven to be more advanced so it takes a bit more to learn ..i am not trolling on you, just give it at least a month and try to customize it to your liking.if you still dont like it than you can sadly go back to your simple ios ....

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site

Anyone can make websites! By year five (10ish Years old or younger), I was administrator and creating layouts for the website... it had roughly 10,000 members and 300 active. So your not tech savy, I am not ether.

Last edited:

sinistar25

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
As a 4 year iPhone user, this is my first try at android. Choose Nexus because of upgrade reasons, hate the fragmentation horror stories lol. I agree the default music player sucks but try out the Poweramp app, much better player imo. Now...if only they can somehow fix the music volume issue(when using aux jack). Also, I only tried one other browser, but find Dolphin better than stock, seems less sluggish.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Umberto Eco said it best: Apple users are like Catholics. They are given a confined world with laws to abide to, and as long as they follow these rules, they reach a level of salvation and can be happy. With an Android user, you are more like a Protestant, with the freedom to work the land as much as required for you to reach happiness and a level of glory. :D

Haha, he actually compared pc to mac, but the same principal applies. It always the same, and it never changes. You either feel more comforted in the womb of Apple or feel better with the wide open freedom of Android, but have to earn that satisfaction. LOL

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Hey, thanks for being understanding. I guess you're right. It's just a little much for me, as I like things better, simpler. Have fun with your phone!

I wouldn't say better for either experience. In my opinion Android is "better" but again that's personal preference. Not everyone is going to think its a better experience, like yourself, which is completely fine. That's why you have choice based on what works better for you. iOS is a great experience as well, people bashing you because you enjoy it over Android is pretty stupid and should be ignored. :D

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Two weeks with the phone and you couldn't figure out that you don't have to use the apps that come pre-installed? You spout off about the Music and Chrome app being poorly designed as if your stuck with them. There are LOADS of alternatives.

Also, you talk bad about the build quality but you said you marveled at it when you unboxed it. I also don't get how ANYONE could not like the build quality of this phone. Yeah the trim is plastic but thats irrelevant compared to the OVERALL build of this phone from the rubberized grip and the premium back glass to the beautiful screen. Build quality is one of the things everyone praised about this phone across the board.

So take away your argument about the apps and the build quality, you're left with your subjective OPINION on the look of Android (if you think Jellybean android is ugly, look at Gingerbread and then look back at it) and your gripe with the camera. The camera isn't the best in the world (which if you read any review before you bought this phone, you would've known that) but its definitely serviceable. In the right settings I've gotten wonderful pictures. Play around with the exposure or try HDR mode. Check out the pictures thread here on AC and you'll see some great photos out of this thing. BUT, if all of that is too hard or complex for you then just get a different phone. Your tech savvy, right? I don't know how you didn't do your homework on this device before you bought it but hey, you tried it and didnt like it so move on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781