Emergency Alert!! scared the crap out of me

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
My phone started an emergency alert with some warning sign(Red triangle) and some text on the screen (I dismissed it).
It made loud alert sound with a voice saying "Emergency Alert blah blah blah". This happened 4am in the morning.

So you could image me panicking in half sleep. It took me a while to figure out what was going on.
At first I thought my phone fried since I had plugged in the phone overnight for charging. after I came to my sense i realized it an emergency alert system.
At 4am?? really?? btw, for 2 days we will have bad weather with 5-8 inch snow and storm.

I thought that was funny and would share so people wont panic

To get to emergency alert settings go to Settings-->More-->cell broadcasts

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
My phone started an emergency alert with some warning sign(Red triangle) and some text on the screen (I dismissed it).
It made loud alert sound with a voice saying "Emergency Alert blah blah blah". This happened 4am in the morning.

So you could image me panicking in half sleep. It took me a while to figure out what was going on.
At first I thought my phone fried since I had plugged in the phone overnight for charging. after I came to my sense i realized it an emergency alert system.
At 4am?? really?? btw, for 2 days we will have bad weather with 5-8 inch snow and storm.

I thought that was funny and would share so people wont panic

To get to emergency alert settings go to Settings-->More-->cell broadcasts

Too funny! FWIW, I don't personally consider 5 - 8 inches of snow to be an EMERGENCY!!

But, hey, that's just me.

OTOH, I work and live just 20'ish miles from the horrible tragedy that unfolded at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, CT last Friday. I didn't receive a single alert from my phone...

(and, yes, they are all turned on)

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Too funny! FWIW, I don't personally consider 5 - 8 inches of snow to be an EMERGENCY!!

But, hey, that's just me.

OTOH, I work and live just 20'ish miles from the horrible tragedy that unfolded at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, CT last Friday. I didn't receive a single alert from my phone...

(and, yes, they are all turned on)
well, its not just snow. its a Blizzard warning. National weather service issued it this morning

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&sclient=psy-ab&q=Central+Iowa+blizzard&fp=243effbdd0794140

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Funny, I had an Amber Alert on my phone twice yesterday! A coworker received one on his 4S, and I thought "Interesting, but I doubt the Nexus 4 will get an alert." But sure enough.

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Funny, I had an Amber Alert on my phone twice yesterday! A coworker received one on his 4S, and I thought "Interesting, but I doubt the Nexus 4 will get an alert." But sure enough.

same here. 2x yesterday and once this morning. first time i've got push alerts straight from the network. just have had them from apps like weatherbug in the past.

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I got a couple of Amber Alerts yesterday as well. Just the usual notification sound. Also got a weather advisory but no red triangles.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Phalonx

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I've had a few on my N7 as well but I can't possibly see the reason behind disabling emergency alerts... isn't the point of such an alert to... alert you?

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
This sounds awesome, can you restrict the time it goes off? e.g day time only.

No you cant but you can set it to silent or change the notification settings however you want.

the reason you cant change is because these alerts are sent by National Weather Service(in this case it was weather alert) via the carriers (not through data but via network).
I checked online and found that National Weather Service issued this alert by around 4 am in the morning and i got it right away. http://alerts.weather.gov/cap/wwaca...IA.DMXWSWDMX.00a57eceb00c341cde678c8c7f3da79e

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I've had a few on my N7 as well but I can't possibly see the reason behind disabling emergency alerts... isn't the point of such an alert to... alert you?

As much as I might be upset by it happening, a child going missing at the other end of my state doesn't qualify as enough of an emergency to wake me up at 4am!

bubbadog

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
As much as I might be upset by it happening, a child going missing at the other end of my state doesn't qualify as enough of an emergency to wake me up at 4am!

Normal "Amber Alerts" for a missing child will go out in your area via text message. When a child is known to be kidnapped and is considered to be in "Grave Danger" the authorities request an alert be put out via Emergence Broadcast System..

DroidTron

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Last xmas I was traveling in Ohio in the middle of nowhere. I'm using Straightalk with T-Mobile and had NO signal whatsoever. (no roaming in this plan) But I was also pretty surprised to get this emergency alert. Pretty cool I think.

Nexus_Alert1_zpsa2b6570d.jpg

Hannah Edmonds

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I received and AMBER alert too but it had nothing to do with weather. It said a car name license plate And said it was registered in Texas. It said it was a very severe message and it could threaten your life and property. It also said to report it immediately to authorities

galatians51

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I think it's safe to say that these alerts prove that the N4's low speaker volume is not a hardware issue. There is some setting they tweaked to make these things freaking LOUD!

jchidori

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
yea... this alarm freaked me out a 4am this morning due to the flooding in chicago...
and just did it again at 12pm at work for flooding in chicago.

i kinda like the idea, but this alarm sound is freaky sounding and loud and wasn't very enjoyable at 4am. i suppose i shouldn't complain since it's doing it's job in warning me about potential dangers, but i am really tired now :(