Solution for Android OS being top battery user

ido1985

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone,

a while ago i posted here about android os using 30%+ of battery and being my top battery user. since it has jumped to 50%+.
yesterday i found this thread on xda:
[Q] msm_hsic_host wakelock - xda-developers
which discusses the problem. they don't find any definitive solution but i did follow some of the fixes they listed there, and since my android os has dropped to 10%, which is great.
they were:
- disabling everything in settings>wireless>cell broadcasts
- disabling exchange services
- disabling location services (in the 4 different places they are listed)

i don't know if all of them are actually needed for the improvement, but that's what i did. i actually had location services turned off for a while with no effect, so i think its probably the first two that made the difference.

i thought i'd share since it took me ages to find something that helped.

TheSammyE

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I also found out (a while ago on my Nexus S so it may not apply to Nexus 4) that if you uncheck the "backup my data" and "automatic restore" options when you first sign into your account on your phone (as in initial set up) then this also really helps keep android OS under control. I've done this on my new Nexus 4 as well just in case. The downsides of course are if you've already set up your phone you'd need to wipe it and start again and also your apps wont automatically sync back down so you'd have to manually get the apps you want (personally I never trusted that process to get ALL the apps I like, its always been hit and miss for me). If you have Root and can do a Titanium backup (or whatever backup you like) then this process isnt as annoying but I, especially on my Nexus S really recommended it. Hope that helps someone if they're having the Android OS battery drain issue along with your recommendations of course.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Somebody has got to be on top. The fact that it is the operating system may just mean that you aren't doing much with other apps or sub-systems.

ido1985

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
update: it has improved my battery life dramatically.
before the changes i was getting about 14 hrs max with 2.5 hrs of screen time, which isnt bad.
right now im on running 13 hrs with 1hr of screen time and the battery is only at 61%.

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
update: it has improved my battery life dramatically.
before the changes i was getting about 14 hrs max with 2.5 hrs of screen time, which isnt bad.
right now im on running 13 hrs with 1hr of screen time and the battery is only at 61%.

You obviously dont use your phone much. 1hour of screen ON out of 13hrs the phone has been off the charger....thats why u are doing much better lol

Sent from my Galaxy S3?

ido1985

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
maybe, but for the exact same usage i was getting 50% android os battery usage and half the battery time. its a proportional improvement. anyway, i shared what worked for me.

AbuYazeedUK

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm on AOKP ROM i don't see the cell broadcast settings.

EDIT: is it safe to disable exchange services? i see it has something to do with email.

Clone9

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
There is a small button on the right side of your phone, if you push and hold it for a while the battery will last a LONG time. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs