Honestly - Was 4.2 rushed?

taj7575

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I've had this phone for exactly 2 weeks now. It's been a wonderful device, but after 2 weeks, I can't help but ask why there are still so many bugs that persist. Force closes (not only on 3rd party, but google apps as well), camera issues, lag! (how is it possible that a quad core processor lags? How?), and so on.

I just don't think the software has even been close to being optimized with this device. Although there are ROMs and so on, there is still so much inconsistency?

I know the argument is that the Nexus line is made for early adopters and developers - but I don't think that's the case anymore. With the Nexus 4,7, and 10, Google is taking a different approach and supporting their core software through their own devices. It's not just the developer/early adopter target anymore, but a target of the normal consumer with a core Google product.

Does anyone else agree? What do you guys think?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I am no fanboy.. But honestly have zero lag on my device, the camera works great, and I may have gotten a few force closes here and there but certainly not enough to be a concern.. So i dont really see what the complaint is about.

Sometimes people forget that technology is never perfect. The most top end computer will lag sometimes and programs crash occasionally.. And sometimes we forget that cramming all that power and capability into a phone is not easy and we expect everything to run perfectly all the time.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
My guess is most people will still be running alot of older apps that aren't exactly compatible and could possibly cause problems with google stuff as well. It's just par for course with a device like a phone that is designed to have all sorts of stuff constantly running in the background.

I'm thinking, if you are a hardware guy, the N4 is perfect in that you can streamline the thing and have a phone that runs faster than anything and works flawlessly with the newest stuff. But "streamlining" is the key word here. You have to keep it clean to achieve top performance.. Otherwise, your bottleneck and Achilles heal will always be apps that are lagging with updates.

If you are more of an app kind of person, it's always the better choice to stick with older versions of Android until something absolutely forces you to upgrade.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Are you running 4.2 or 4.2.1?

4.2.1 is current; if you haven't installed it yet try Settings -> About -> System Updates.

If you are running 4.2.1, then I suggest you look inward as not everyone is suffering the problems you cite. Certainly not me, for example.

This, by the way, is one of the potential flaws with being on the cutting edge of OS updates. Sure, you get them earlier than most everyone else, but, in effect, you become the beta tester for all those app developers big and small who have not yet optimized their code for the new OS.

taj7575

May 28, 2011
Visit site
My guess is most people will still be running alot of older apps that aren't exactly compatible and could possibly cause problems with google stuff as well. It's just par for course with a device like a phone that is designed to have all sorts of stuff constantly running in the background.

I'm thinking, if you are a hardware guy, the N4 is perfect in that you can streamline the thing and have a phone that runs faster than anything and works flawlessly with the newest stuff. But "streamlining" is the key word here. You have to keep it clean to achieve top performance.. Otherwise, your bottleneck and Achilles heal will always be apps that are lagging with updates.

If you are more of an app kind of person, it's always the better choice to stick with older versions of Android until something absolutely forces you to upgrade.

I keep it extremely streamlined. Aside from the Google apps, I only have about 4-5 other apps. That's all I need. But it still lags. Like I said though, it's the Google apps that lag and create problems.

I'm on 4.2.1 by the way.

XsynthZ

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I believe the new lockscreen was rushed and should not have been released quite yet. It seems to be in the same boat as Honeycomb was. It laid the groundwork for the future, but wasn't good then. Hopefully it gets updated and made better just like Honeycomb was replaced with ICS and then Jelly Bean.

D Mac

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
My N4 arrives today so I can't speak to 4.2 on that. My N10 shipped with 4.2 so its impossible to say what is hardware and what is software related (this of course is the same for everyone with an N4).

However I can most definitely say that Yes 4.2 Was rushed.

On my N7 when I went from 4.1 to 4.2 I started getting a Lot more stalls and slowdowns. 4.2 just doesn't run anywhere close to as smoothly as 4.1 does. Check the N7 forums and you will see tons people with the same experience. Also lots of people have gone back to 4.1 for this reason. Also Galaxy Nexus users are saying similar things plus complaining of decreased battery life.

So yes I don't think there is any doubt that it was rushed out before it was fully optimized.

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
My N4 arrives today so I can't speak to 4.2 on that. My N10 shipped with 4.2 so its impossible to say what is hardware and what is software related (this of course is the same for everyone with an N4).

However I can most definitely say that Yes 4.2 Was rushed.

On my N7 when I went from 4.1 to 4.2 I started getting a Lot more stalls and slowdowns. 4.2 just doesn't run anywhere close to as smoothly as 4.1 does. Check the N7 forums and you will see tons people with the same experience. Also lots of people have gone back to 4.1 for this reason. Also Galaxy Nexus users are saying similar things plus complaining of decreased battery life.

So yes I don't think there is any doubt that it was rushed out before it was fully optimized.

The problem with 4.2 is that some of its features mainly the lock screen widgets are aimed towards cutting edge hardware like the Nexus 4. I also noticed how leggy the lock screen was on my GNex when I upgraded it to 4.2.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

D Mac

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
The problem with 4.2 is that some of its features mainly the lock screen widgets are aimed towards cutting edge hardware like the Nexus 4. I also noticed how leggy the lock screen was on my GNex when I upgraded it to 4.2.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

That is potentially a factor but it is certainly more than that as well. I have the lock screen turned off completely on all my devices.

... and why would having my calendar show on my lock screen require cutting edge hardware. That's a pretty basic feature.

taj7575

May 28, 2011
Visit site
That is potentially a factor but it is certainly more than that as well. I have the lock screen turned off completely on all my devices.

... and why would having my calendar show on my lock screen require cutting edge hardware. That's a pretty basic feature.

I agree. I don't see how it can use so much processing power. I don't have anything on my lockscreen anyways.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci