Does one need a data plan to send/receive images via Messaging?

Parth Ghetia

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
So basically, unless your mobile carrier supports MMS over WiFi (T-Mobile branded phones, mostly) it is impossible. No exceptions. Not even an iPhone can send MMS over WiFi. Any media you send to another contact over WiFi would be using iMessage which is an Apple proprietary "whatsapp" service.

Qbancelli

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
I have no data plan...

Using the stock Messaging app (green smiley face), I notice I cannot send
nor receive images. I cant only send/receive text.

To me this seems lame because I could do this with my iPhone as long as I was within WIFI.

Does it work differently with Android?
So you were using a third party messanging App all along, like most of us do, but rushed to dump on Android?

dynamite613

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
When you are on the Iphone ... If you are connected to wifi you can send/receive picture messages. You do not have to have a data package. All the people that are stating that on the Iphone ppl that are receiving picture messages through wifi are able to because they are using Imessage or another 3rd party app. Well I hate to inform you guys that, that is completely wrong. I previously had the Iphone and was on a pay as you go plan and had no problem sending/receiving picture messages when I was connected to wifi. This is a real disappointment from Android. Android lacks in this.

dynamite613

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Like i said I have had the Iphone and now that I have tried the Android network I think the Iphone is a lot better but after all maybe I'm saying this because I haven't been on the Android network for very long and I kind of have a cheap phone .. I have the LG Optimus White aka the LG P970G but regardless my first issue was the sending/receiving of picture messages over wifi.

ring o fire

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
This is what I was thinking and really the only thing that makes sense to me. So I am assuming that your family uses iPhones as well?
So basically, unless your mobile carrier supports MMS over WiFi (T-Mobile branded phones, mostly) it is impossible. No exceptions. Not even an iPhone can send MMS over WiFi. Any media you send to another contact over WiFi would be using iMessage which is an Apple proprietary "whatsapp" service.

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
OMG THANKS!
Using your instructions, for the first time ever I was able to view a picture message!

For other tmobile users googling this...
From the Home screen, press the Menu key.
Touch Settings.
Touch Wireless & networks.
Note: This varies on different software versions.
Touch Mobile Networks.
Touch Access Point Names or APNs.
Then enter this and click save in the upper right:
Access Point Name (APN): fast.t-mobile.com
MMSC Server: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Apple uses iMessage which is similar to AOL messenger, yahoo messenger, instance messenger, whatsApp, hangout, etc. They all use data (wifi, LTE). There are no size limit to your "texting " which is ba sickly IM.. But SMS uses the "signalling" to the cell towers. Old technology. Limited to only 160 chars per text. Integration between apple and android in group "text message" is a pain in the arse. Steve job is a genius marketing an old technology IM app as texting and apple users don't really care what's under the hood. Lol