Does one need a data plan to send/receive images via Messaging?

PaulDiM

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I have no data plan...

Using the stock Messaging app (green smiley face), I notice I cannot send
nor receive images. I cant only send/receive text.

To me this seems lame because I could do this with my iPhone as long as I was within WIFI.

Does it work differently with Android?

PaulDiM

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Yes. Images and such are sent via MMS, not SMS. MMS messages are sent (and received!) over a data connection.

Thanks, but then why can't I send/receive images when I'm connected to WIFI? When I'm connected to WIFI don't I have a data connection?

ttrimmer

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
It has to be the carrier's data network. You could always email it or use any of the numerous messaging services out there.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

PaulDiM

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
If you can get your friends to install WhatsApp you will be able to use that Wi-Fi connection.

I'm not crazy about WhatsApp because most of my family is not using that software.

So basically using WIFI is not the same as using WIFI on an iPhone? Cause on the iPhone when I'm connected to WIFI, messaging acts the same as if I was on a data plan.

saeufer

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
You should still be able to send MMS with no data plan. You do need to set up your APN as if you had data, though.

I have no data plan on my 'backup' phone and have no problem sending MMS. T-Mobile pay-by-the-minute, btw.

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what an APN is either but if you get a third-party application you can use wifi to send and recieve images if supported. You probably can't unless the other party is also using the same application (i've used one before and i've never gotten images when people sent it)

saeufer

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Maybe you could lead me in the right direction? I have no idea what changing the APN does?

The APN settings are how your phone knows how to send and receive data over the mobile network. Your phone will connect whether you have data service or not, but none of your 'web' data will work if you're not paying for it. MMS will work without a data plan so long as data is set up correctly. Look up your carrier's APN settings online and make sure your phone is set up correctly. For example, T-Mobile's settings are here: Support: APN settings for data and picture messaging (MMS): Android but ignore the line about "make sure there are no dashes in the phone number." It might matter on a few phones, but it never has on any phone I've ever used with T-Mobile, including the N4.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm not crazy about WhatsApp because most of my family is not using that software.

So basically using WIFI is not the same as using WIFI on an iPhone? Cause on the iPhone when I'm connected to WIFI, messaging acts the same as if I was on a data plan.

What sort of plan are you on now? What plan was your iPhone on?

You can do MMS without a true data plan so long as you do have some sort of plan which permits both SMS ("text") and MMS. Post-paid plans (what most of us are used to)
typically bundle SMS and MMS together under one heading. Pre-paid plans seemingly do not.

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
GO SMS says it is usable over wifi, don't know for certain, but check some other 3rd party text apps.

~?~?Holliewood ?~?~

Every time I send an mms using go SMS while connected to wi fi, it switches to my network to send the mms then switches back to wi fi after it is sent. SMS messages go through regularly while connected to wi fi though

saeufer

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Does mobile data also need to be turned ON while I am within a Wifi?

Yes. You can't send MMS over wi-fi. (Well, not on the N4. T-Mobile branded phones can do it via wi-fi calling.)

Every time I send an mms using go SMS while connected to wi fi, it switches to my network to send the mms then switches back to wi fi after it is sent. SMS messages go through regularly while connected to wi fi though

That's because SMS is a basic GSM function--it's sending over the cell network but doesn't need to turn data on to do it.

PaulDiM

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
My plan hasn't changed when I switched from iPhone to nexus 4.

There seems to be a lot of android issues around MMS over wifi. I've been searching google and many people are experiencing it as well.

I hate to say this, but Apple does a better job of handling MMS over Wi-Fi when you don't have a data plan

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Have you been sending mms messages from your iPhone to other iPhone users ? Maybe you've been using iMessage??

IMessage is a feature to message between ios devices...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

maxod

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
My plan hasn't changed when I switched from iPhone to nexus 4.

There seems to be a lot of android issues around MMS over wifi. I've been searching google and many people are experiencing it as well.

I hate to say this, but Apple does a better job of handling MMS over Wi-Fi when you don't have a data plan

That's because on your iPhone you have turned on imessage which sends your text over Wi-Fi through Apple's servers.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums