Nexus 4 buttons

vNaK

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
At first I didn't like them, but finally find they are quite nice. I like how they change sides and orient themselves so they are right side up. Very neat. What I don't like is that it takes up the 4.7 inch screen making the screen a tad smaller.

Since they are onscreen buttons is there an app or something that can change what buttons you have? It would be cool if you customize it.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I still don't like that they take up screen space , but I've completely gotten used to them coming from a galaxy s3 and before that an evo.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
At first I didn't like them, but finally find they are quite nice. I like how they change sides and orient themselves so they are right side up. Very neat. What I don't like is that it takes up the 4.7 inch screen making the screen a tad smaller.

Since they are onscreen buttons is there an app or something that can change what buttons you have? It would be cool if you customize it.

You sure can customize. Check this thread.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2005937

Sent from my mako :)p)

copperwatt

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
What I don't like is that it takes up the 4.7 inch screen making the screen a tad smaller.
I still don't like that they take up screen space

See, I don't get this complaint. Why would you want you screen any taller, except for videos (at which point they disappear anyway)?

I love the squarish-ness of the screen over say, the S3. I like the extra width, as it makes reading in portrait mode nicer, but I can just barely reach the Google address bar at the top with my thumb as it is. I tried a droid DNA the other day, and the tall screen felt really awkward.

To me it is best of both worlds... a comfortable size screen when you need to navigate with one hand, a nice wide screen for videos.

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Guess what. If you don't like the buttons, you can remove it and then put it onto the power button (when you hold it down, the options that were on the bottom are now in the pop-up that the poewrbutton has.

theCman

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Coming from a mytouch 4g I have to say that onscreen buttons took me no time to get used to. Honestly the only complaint I have is that it takes up potential screen space.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Guess what. If you don't like the buttons, you can remove it and then put it onto the power button (when you hold it down, the options that were on the bottom are now in the pop-up that the poewrbutton has.

I don't think I would want to do this, but still wondering - how is this accomplished?

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
There are custom ROMs that have this feature. I know that AOKP includes settings to turn off the on-screen buttons and show them in the power menu.

Sent from my SGSIII

Ohh yeah it is a custom rom, I saw it on the GNex with a ROM to upgrade it to 4.2, still forgot the name though but i'll find it
pretty sure that's it

vNaK

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
See, I don't get this complaint. Why would you want you screen any taller, except for videos (at which point they disappear anyway)?

I love the squarish-ness of the screen over say, the S3. I like the extra width, as it makes reading in portrait mode nicer, but I can just barely reach the Google address bar at the top with my thumb as it is. I tried a droid DNA the other day, and the tall screen felt really awkward.

To me it is best of both worlds... a comfortable size screen when you need to navigate with one hand, a nice wide screen for videos.

When it's advertised as 4.7" screen, I'm expecting 4.7" of usable screen. My Note 2 is 5.5" and it's 5.5" of usable screen, same with my SGS1 and HTC Sensation. I thought it was going to be a nice jump in screen size from my Sensation, but in reality it was only about .2" more.

I had no problems with the DNA screen size. 5" usable was quite nice. Didn't notice the awkward feeling of it being tall, but it's going to be different for everyone. :)

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
When it's advertised as 4.7" screen, I'm expecting 4.7" of usable screen. My Note 2 is 5.5" and it's 5.5" of usable screen, same with my SGS1 and HTC Sensation. I thought it was going to be a nice jump in screen size from my Sensation, but in reality it was only about .2" more.

I had no problems with the DNA screen size. 5" usable was quite nice. Didn't notice the awkward feeling of it being tall, but it's going to be different for everyone. :)

I love how the software buttons look and all (much better than the S3 imo) but I hate how it takes some of the screen. I would've been fine with the buttons similar to the S3 if it didn't take up space on the screen but oh well, I can just remove it when I want to on certain apps when I root it

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

Software buttons are context sensitive, so applications can use the whole screen if need be and they can move around the screen based on orientation of the phone.
Hardware buttons are always just sitting there in the way.