Foxfi on Nexus 4

mattmatt23

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Will this native tethering work without paid mobile hotspot support from TMobile, or other carriers? Does anyone have actual "real life" experience using FoxFi with Nexus 4?

sdoo25

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Will this native tethering work without paid mobile hotspot support from TMobile, or other carriers? Does anyone have actual "real life" experience using FoxFi with Nexus 4?

I had and used foxfi on my droid RAZR before getting my nexus 4. There us no need to use foxfi with the nexus 4 because it already has tethering built in. I have used the built in tethering with no problem. I'm on solavei. Before the RAZR I had a nexus s on T-Mobile and used the built-in tethering with no issues.

mattmatt23

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Was your tethering used on TMobile after they disabled all WiFi sharing without paying for it? It happened about 8 or 10 months ago? I used to share my WiFi on an LG MyTouch, but after they cut everyone off I switched to Open Garden and FoxFi.

mdandashly

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Because the N4 is sold unlocked directly from Google, carriers do not have the capability to lock the native tethering and try forcing you to pay for it.

I used to use FoxFi on the S3, but on my N4, don't need it. I use the built in tethering app.

Saljen

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm that WiFi tethering works natively on the Nexus 4 with the $30 Unlimited internet/text + 100 minute plan, however within 5 minutes of activating it and connecting my laptop to it, all pages I load direct me to a T-Mobile page suggesting I buy a Mobile HotSpot plan. Does anyone know a way around this? I tried FoxFi and it immidately crashes upon activating WiFi Hotspot, and this seems to be an issues related to its compatibility with Android 4.1+.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm that WiFi tethering works natively on the Nexus 4 with the $30 Unlimited internet/text + 100 minute plan, however within 5 minutes of activating it and connecting my laptop to it, all pages I load direct me to a T-Mobile page suggesting I buy a Mobile HotSpot plan. Does anyone know a way around this? I tried FoxFi and it immidately crashes upon activating WiFi Hotspot, and this seems to be an issues related to its compatibility with Android 4.1+.

T-mo has gotten better about detecting tethered/hotspot usage. Where I once (this is before N4) has been connect my PC from my G2x, it later stopped working but I could still tether my N7 (I think they couldn't tell because it was also Android). Then that stopped altogether. I too would love to hear if someone's found a solution.

boparunsxc

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm on T-mo and have no issues tethering to any of my devices (didn't pay the tethering fee). Mobile devices like iPods, tablets, etc. should work without issue. If tethering to a computer, you will need a UA string switcher (I have one that works really well for chrome). As long as the UA string you use is for a mobile device, there shouldn't be any issues.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm on T-mo and have no issues tethering to any of my devices (didn't pay the tethering fee). Mobile devices like iPods, tablets, etc. should work without issue. If tethering to a computer, you will need a UA string switcher (I have one that works really well for chrome). As long as the UA string you use is for a mobile device, there shouldn't be any issues.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

I think User Agent is one method they have to detect you. They can also possibly detect TTL settings, so that should be changed to a factor of 65 on your tethered device so that it shows the same 64 once it hits tmo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy