Can I upload movies to somewhere and watch them on my Nexus 4?

willdogs

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
If I read correctly, you have to be in the same wifi network as the external hardrive right? I think the OP is trying to say I want to watch is somewhere else, not his home.

Negative. I've been on vacation in other states and still able to access my seagate goflex

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, but the reviews on Google Play are pretty bad for this. Lots of comments about not playing back video which was what I'm after. Thanks though, all options most welcome.
I have also setup this system and am very happy with it. You do need a decent connection in order to stream the movies so I typically only stream files under 1gb but it works well. I got the idea from this video. It cost me $200 total with 1Tb of storage. You can also share files like on dropbox and Google drive.
Watch this for details. No computer needed. The Pogoplug app still needs work, but does the job. You can also stream music etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QopyTVucD-I&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Ya that's cool. I subscribe to his channel and am always impressed. But Airdroid doesn't allow you to stream movies to your device. Only from it.

Oh, lame! :(
No one liked his 10 things I hte about android video though lol.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Oh, lame! :(
No one liked his 10 things I hte about android video though lol.
Lol. I honesty think he did that video just to prove that nothing is perfect. Ironically a number of items in his list have been added now :D

Christian Jacob

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I installed remote potato on my win 7 pc which is free. Them I use remote media center app to stream. The only audio player that seems to work though is v player. I can stream mp4 avi and mkv with really good quality.

Pughypro

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks again for all the replies to date, I really like the look of QVIVO, just the monthly subscription putting me off a little, other than this does everything I would like. Plex also a good looking option, just needing the server running all the time.

Google Drive has limited space for free ( I think ) so probably not good for uploading movies and Dropbox only allows a certain length of movies file to be played.

Might just have to man up and pay for the QVIVO service!

Hand_O_Death

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I have A Buffalo Cloudstor which is a personal cloud storage device you connect to you modem. I like it for its expandability, home control, no monthly fees, and it uses an app called PogoPlug which has not had any issues on any Android device (since a few updates ago) that I own. Amazon sells them if interested.

I use it only for streaming videos. I just made three folders for me and my family (me, wife, kids) and love it. Good luck with what ever you pick.

I use Plex to stream the video from the drive, through my home PC, to my kids Roku device, but it is a little wonky and the PC needs to be on at all times.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol