Is there an FM radio in the Nexus 4?

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Re: Is there fm radio in nexus 4?

well sony will be and always be the best, xperia v is awesome, far ahead from awesome, with LTE beating sammy phones, with analog radio, removable battery, expandable memory, light sony time scape UI,what else? hmmmm dual core beating quad core, WHAT? yes its true, its all about how sony put up all the parts and integrate it with each other working as one, Holy Angels, what if sony will put quadcore in their phones? best technology SONY.

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site

Like one user already mentioned, the chip in the phone ALREADY supports FM radio, they just chose not to bother making drivers to access it. Seems like a no brainer to me, the chip is already there and ready to go, why not just add the appropriate drivers and app to access fm radio? I would use it if it were there.

Chingyul

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site

I didn't know the existing chip could handle FM. That's pretty neat.
I know my OLD OLD sansa clip mp3 player had a fm receiver which I though was pretty neat. Could be handy for sure.

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

I understand but technology moves on. The Nexus 4 is a bleeding edge device and fm radio is technology that is no longer is included in today's devices. That's like expecting to find a floppy disk drive in a new computer.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

The international version of the Note 2 comes with FM radio. :)

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

TuneIn streams audio over a data connection. It is not a "radio" per se, but it will stream any of thousands of stations most of which probably broadcast on AM/FM bands as well as internet data streams.

littleemp

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site

Buy a Sony phone then? I don't see the point in those remarks. What many have said is true, analog standards need to die and be replaced with more current tech, if you keep supporting them, then you're not giving the companies responsible of upgrading a reason to improve their service for the user. Ultimately, by supporting old standards that are no longer relevant you're only hurting your experience as a user of said services.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site

FM tech is not dated nor is out of style... how many of you listen to the radio in your car. Ya FM tech. How many people go to the gym and want to listen to what's on the TV well that as well is FM tech. So don't give me that FM tech is out dated.

The chip set support FM radio. So its not like they have to add another chip for it to work. All they had to do as enable the api, program the kernel and make an app. Done. But no they decided not to and this pisses me off

Anyways. People need to realize that just because you may not use it doesn't mean there aren't tones of others out there that may or need it.
I actually agree with this. I love my Nexus 4, and I don't listen to the radio a whole lot (in my car, I am connected by bluetooth to my phone, and I usually have a podcast playing or Pandora). But that is not to say that this couldn't be a useful feature. If I had the feature on my phone, I probably would use it from time to time. And FM radio may be an old technology, but it certainly isn't dead technology.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

Buy a Sony phone then? I don't see the point in those remarks. What many have said is true, analog standards need to die and be replaced with more current tech, if you keep supporting them, then you're not giving the companies responsible of upgrading a reason to improve their service for the user. Ultimately, by supporting old standards that are no longer relevant you're only hurting your experience as a user of said services.

And how does that help me listen to the ballgame tonight?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

littleemp

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site

And how does that help me listen to the ballgame tonight?

Use a myriad of other ways to stream online the content? If you're not resourceful enough to do it, then that's your problem. Just because you have a smartphone doesn't mean the user doesn't have to be smart.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

Use a myriad of other ways to stream online the content? If you're not resourceful enough to do it, then that's your problem. Just because you have a smartphone doesn't mean the user doesn't have to be smart.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Professional sports broadcasts are blacked out from radio stations' online streams in the US. The point is that I can turn the two on and listen to a baseball or football game, but I can't listen to it via their website.

As long as that problem exists, broadcast radio will continue to exist.

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site

Professional sports broadcasts are blacked out from radio stations' online streams in the US. The point is that I can turn the two on and listen to a baseball or football game, but I can't listen to it via their website.

As long as that problem exists, broadcast radio will continue to exist.

I don't understand why they don't include FM on phones. It's technically trivial for them to do, must be all politics. Someone doesn't want FM radio on phones since it uses no data so it's free to use, when you stream you're using data so the carriers benefit. I guess I'll blame the carriers. Lol.

Still nexus 4 is carrier independent, Google really could have included it.

Qbancelli

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site

Well, after reading this thread, I went and pulled my old Nexus One running CM7 and started listening to my local sports stations, which I was doing until today with Tunein Pro using my data and wifi.

And guess what? Now I wish my Nexus 4 had an FM radio too. Soooo much better than internet radio!

So why not an FM radio, Google?

It is a no brainer, IMHO.

Last edited:

quixpeed

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site

well IMO, i think it is important to have such a low tech facility in such high end device, this guy problem is considerable, besides what if we have cellular network breakdown, seriously. for me i always keep a mini AM/FM radio around just in case.

TRSpeed3

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site

OP, even though I have no need for FM I completely understand. Back in the Zune days, I used to love listening to FM radio during my long commutes on the train.

As far as FM not being included in recent tech, I don't think it's a big business objective to faze out FM. The decision is probably all sales driven, "What hot new thing will sell our devices?" And what features can be cut based on consumer usage? Unfortunately, FM cannot compete with the advertising power of 4G, Siri, Google Now etc.

I'm sure adding FM would be cheap and wouldn't drive up costs, but I'm guessing FM is generally an oversight when companies are deciding specs.

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site

I don't understand why they don't include FM on phones. It's technically trivial for them to do, must be all politics. Someone doesn't want FM radio on phones since it uses no data so it's free to use, when you stream you're using data so the carriers benefit. I guess I'll blame the carriers. Lol.

In 2012, the NAB lobbied Congress to mandate that smartphones include FM. I don't think that was the first time.

Yes, it's pretty straightforward to add FM to a chipset. But it's an additional expense, and the chipset vendors and handset vendors scrutinize everything. It's also an additional antenna, and space is tight: multiple antennas for 4G not just in terms of bands but also diversity, plus antennas for 3G/2.5G fallback, GPS, Wi-Fi and NFC. The battery and display take priority when it comes to space. The antennas and everything else fight for what's left.

vxxxbzxs

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

old-fashioned FM works much better on a train on the daily commute than either streaming or DAB. In my experience (and in the UK). Show-stopper for me as well, maybe Ubuntu will make it's radio work (if all the hardware is present).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20