Nexus 4 shelf life

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I know many of you don't have the Nexus 4 yet for various reasons but wanted to start this just to see what people are thinking.

With the Google X phone and X tablet being talked about this week with a 2013 release does this mean the end of the Nexus line and a short life for the 4?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
One to two years is about right for any smartphone these days.

One year if you are a tech-nut who wants to stay on top of things; two years if you want to get your money's worth out of a device before moving on to the latest and greatest.

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
One to two years is about right for any smartphone these days.

One year if you are a tech-nut who wants to stay on top of things; two years if you want to get your money's worth out of a device before moving on to the latest and greatest.

Most non Nexus non Apple smartphones IMO don't last 2 years due to the OEM abandoning them after a year or less.

Hopefully the X phone and tablet will be Google experimental line while Nexus becomes Google retail consumer focused line. Of course if that's true Google has a lot to fix with their distribution channels.

akashvani

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Google calls the next phone X phone as internal code name. X product is a generic name that is commonly used to keep secrecy. This is pretty standard. I think the xphone will be their next nexus line. Google is trying to develop it in-house, rather than depend on unreliable manufacturers like LG. Nexus4 has been the worst high profile product launch ever. Google has got a real bad rap from this fiasco, not only from the frustrated consumers but from many corporate and industry watchers.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I thought the X line of phone and tablet were going to be Motorola branded, not Google branded......

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Google calls the next phone X phone as internal code name. X product is a generic name that is commonly used to keep secrecy. This is pretty standard. I think the xphone will be their next nexus line. Google is trying to develop it in-house, rather than depend on unreliable manufacturers like LG. Nexus4 has been the worst high profile product launch ever. Google has got a real bad rap from this fiasco, not only from the frustrated consumers but from many corporate and industry watchers.

"Worst high profile product launch ever?" Are you saying that simply because demand far outstripped supply, and Google wasn't prepared? I haven't seen many complaining about the phone outside of that issue. Google was never known as a retail outlet. I think the launch of the Verizon Galaxy Nexus was worse, what with the initial delays, Verizon refusing to load Google Wallet on the phone because of ISIS, and heavily delayed software updates. That's a bigger black eye than the high demand on the Nexus 4 and resulting supply line problems.

As for the OP, I fully expect the Nexus 4 to be viable for a good two years. There's always something better just around the corner.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I know many of you don't have the Nexus 4 yet for various reasons but wanted to start this just to see what people are thinking.

With the Google X phone and X tablet being talked about this week with a 2013 release does this mean the end of the Nexus line and a short life for the 4?

Right now many blogs are finding this rumor hard to believe. The X line sounds like flagship version of the G series they no longer do. The G series were lead devices then the nexus line took over as flagship pure Google experience. The X line may be the more mainstream carrier friendly android devices. (Bloatware, slow updates for the sake of exposure)

I not really for or against the line but I am little resevered about the concept of the X line. Since they just expanded Nexus line and been marketing product so heavily.

The X line compared to Nexus concept seems the X line will be more about the hardware. The X line will lead in hardware where the Nexus line leads in software. Here's 2013 Google.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
There is no X phone, good grief. That rumor was based one article that got picked up and rewritten so many times it seems like a flood of confirmations

At best the truth is that Google is in the early early design phase of a concept. An actual prototype would be a year or more away.

akashvani

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
"Worst high profile product launch ever?" Are you saying that simply because demand far outstripped supply, and Google wasn't prepared? I haven't seen many complaining about the phone outside of that issue. Google was never known as a retail outlet. I think the launch of the Verizon Galaxy Nexus was worse, what with the initial delays, Verizon refusing to load Google Wallet on the phone because of ISIS, and heavily delayed software updates. That's a bigger black eye than the high demand on the Nexus 4 and resulting supply line problems.

As for the OP, I fully expect the Nexus 4 to be viable for a good two years. There's always something better just around the corner.

Cayote, the issues with Nexus 4 launch are not just demand outstripping supply. There are several other issues. Lack of communication on the shipping status for people who ordered Nov 13, 27 and later. Shipping orders placed Dec 1st week before fulfilling Nov launch date orders etc. I have communicated with Google and they have acknowledged the fulfillment and communication issues. Google VP's statement about LG's supply being 'scarce and erratic' is the public acknowledgement of the problems.
On the demand and supply side Google has not come out with any specifics of how many sold so far.
Please don't get me wrong, I have been firmly in Android camp since Android 2.2 days and don't mind waiting to get my Nexus 4 no matter how long it takes. Google is in the right direction with coming out with a high end unlocked device at low cost. They need to smooth out their execution. Agree they don't want to be a retailer, but if they are selling products from Play Store then there are some basics they need to adhere to.

As for the OP, Nexus 4 will not be outdated like the carrier devices. You can easily get 2 years out of it since it have enough power to run new Android versions for that period at least.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
As other people have mentioned it will only last 2-3 years before the OEM stops putting compatible software with it (like the ipod 3 and the iphone 3g i think can't have iOS 6)
The Nexus 4 is a great device and in term of lasting with other phones strength, you can probably get 2-3 years too, maybe even four if compared to the iphone's specs.

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
A good friend of mine had official Jellybean from Google on his Nexus S almost immediately. If that's any indication of the shelf life on the Nexus line.

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
4.1 or 4.2? But I was talking about specs of the phone, keeping up with the applications made.

At the time 4.1 but he's since gone to the dark side, and got an iPhone 5 :/ The point is Nexus phones will get supported until Google decides not to support them. Everything else will get supported until the day the carrier decides you don't need anymore software updates. Then it's over to XDA for some custom rome! :p

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084