Saying goodbye

andr0idralphie

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
We're in the middle of a technological shakeout, the participating audience to the stage where the fight to find the most perfect balance between our constant flow of data and our interaction with the platform to do so is waged by those whom stand to gain the most. We're here arguing over our preferred cow tag. I prefer my Nexus 4. Nyyyah!

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Why do you guys downplay rooting against updates my skyrockets running 4.1.2 and we are getting closer to 4.2. I don't care about what skin the phone comes with or what version its on I look at raw specs and throw an aosp ROM on anyway. Updates are for chumps to scared of really owning your device. Silly end users.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

jeremydc

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The battery is horrible. If I wasn't going to Korea and needed an unlocked phone, I would have returned it. I pray a battery pack or a software fix is coming before Feb 15th

KwietStorm

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Why do you guys downplay rooting against updates my skyrockets running 4.1.2 and we are getting closer to 4.2. I don't care about what skin the phone comes with or what version its on I look at raw specs and throw an aosp ROM on anyway. Updates are for chumps to scared of really owning your device. Silly end users.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

That's a really silly statement.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

SAENZ_SCENE

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Part of the fun is rooting and flashing Roms. Someone gets a device other than a nexus. So what. They can still put cm10.1 or aokp or any other aosp based ROM and have stock android. All androids are great. You just have to find the one for you.

Sent from my Nexus 7

bruceleer0y

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Part of the fun is rooting and flashing Roms. Someone gets a device other than a nexus. So what. They can still put cm10.1 or aokp or any other aosp based ROM and have stock android. All androids are great. You just have to find the one for you.

Sent from my Nexus 7

I was nvr to good with that, maybe thats the reason touchwiz and Sense exist, for people like me.

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm not talking about the Note. I'm talking in general. It wasn't that long ago that 4.3 inch screens were considered huge. Now we're at 5 and larger with some, and I don't think we need to be advancing in that direction. My screen is 4.7 inches, and the phone itself isn't big. It feels good. Manufacturers should be focusing on battery technology and enlarging screens without enlarging the bezel along with it.

Samsung is focusing on the battery. The Note 2 has 3100mah removable battery that will last a very long time.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
You're either severely downplaying the obvious advancements that Android has made, or you're just that guy who can't bother to be impressed by a cat operating heavy construction vehicles.

Ha ha. Nice one.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
You'll see. History repeats itself. Trends come and go. Look at clothing trends. It may not be soon but it will happen. These flat screens people carry in their pockets will be seen as crazy. Don't worry though, you're cool for a few more years at least. Only in America are huge phone cool. The rest of the world still like the 4inchers. Read some statistics on what size people like most.

This explains why we've gone back to CRT TV's and dial up internet.

Technology is not a fad like bell bottom jeans. Style is a trend, technological improvements are not.

These huge super phones flourish outside the U.S., you may want to check the sales figures there.

Last edited:

corance

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
This explains why we've gone back to CRT TV's and dial up internet.

Technology is not a fad like bell bottom jeans. Style is a trend, technological improvements are not.

These huge super phones flourish outside the U.S., you may want to check the sales figures there.

Except those examples don't make sense. I'm not saying it will go back to older technology.... Smaller screen doesn't mean old technology. You can have all the newest technology in a 4.7 in phone. It doesn't have to be 6 in screen. Bigger screen doesn't equal better technology bro. Going back to dial up is a step back in PERFORMANCE. Smaller screen isn't.

As for big screens being the thing please please please give me at least 3 sources that say that. While you find those, go to the mall food court and look at screen sizes...

socialcarpet

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Touchwiz may have been a bad UI...But the one on the Note II isn't bad at all. Some could even argue that it's functionality is better than the pure android OS. It really all comes down to preference. I love my Nexus 4 and vanilla android, but I miss some awesome Touchwiz features.

Would it really be fun if every phone, from every manufacturer, in every phone size only consisted of a pure vanilla OS? That would be boring. You might as well get an iPhone.

If every phone was a Nexus phone that would be great, yes. People would still be free to make the OS as ugly as they like, they would have the choice to do that, but people who don't want to root and ROM would be able to actually buy a phone that performs well out of the box without crap bogging it down and we'd all get updates in a much more timely fashion.

Either way, the non-Nexus Android world doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned. I don't even look at anything that isn't a Nexus device.

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Sales figures are easy to come by just look at last week's Forbes or Wallstreet Journal; nexus4, Note2 and gs3 take the top three android spots followed by the Maxx hd, dna and HTC.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Except those examples don't make sense. I'm not saying it will go back to older technology.... Smaller screen doesn't mean old technology. You can have all the newest technology in a 4.7 in phone. It doesn't have to be 6 in screen. Bigger screen doesn't equal better technology bro. Going back to dial up is a step back in PERFORMANCE. Smaller screen isn't.

As for big screens being the thing please please please give me at least 3 sources that say that. While you find those, go to the mall food court and look at screen sizes...

No, guy, what didn't make sense was comparing technological advancements, i.e. large, HD resolution displays, to fashion trends. Which you did. Bravo.

And yes, smaller displays would be a step backwards as there have never been any that are remotely comparable to the large displays (Nexus 4, HOX, Note II, etc) as far as quality and resolution. Creating large, high quality displays is an improvement upon smaller displays that simply cannot compete with the current offerings.

"As for big screens being the thing please please please give me at least 3 sources that say that." I'm not sure what you're asking here, and obviously the English language and logic are not your strong suits. If you that was your retort to my saying large screen phones sell well on a global level, then you need to wake up. 5+ million Note II's sold is impressive, and that's one of a dozen current high-end phones. Sales figures are widely available, take the initiative to research a topic before discussing it.

In short, large screen phones sell extremely well, and large screen displays are not only an improvement on past technology, but a thing of the future.

I forgot to throw "bro" in there, but as I'm not as incompetent as the Jersey Shore cast, or in middle school, I think I'll live.

corance

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
No, guy, what didn't make sense was comparing technological advancements, i.e. large, HD resolution displays, to fashion trends. Which you did. Bravo.

And yes, smaller displays would be a step backwards as there have never been any that are remotely comparable to the large displays (Nexus 4, HOX, Note II, etc) as far as quality and resolution. Creating large, high quality displays is an improvement upon smaller displays that simply cannot compete with the current offerings.

"As for big screens being the thing please please please give me at least 3 sources that say that." I'm not sure what you're asking here, and obviously the English language and logic are not your strong suits. If you that was your retort to my saying large screen phones sell well on a global level, then you need to wake up. 5+ million Note II's sold is impressive, and that's one of a dozen current high-end phones. Sales figures are widely available, take the initiative to research a topic before discussing it.

In short, large screen phones sell extremely well, and large screen displays are not only an improvement on past technology, but a thing of the future.

I forgot to throw "bro" in there, but as I'm not as incompetent as the Jersey Shore cast, or in middle school, I think I'll live.

Wow, you used big words sir. Now allow me to speak in proper English since my last dialect, while understandable, didn't suffice. I never said the nexus 4 isn't a large screen. I was saying the nexus 4 is about the right size for most. What I was referring to as big screens was the note size screens. If you consider the nexus 4 " big" screen, then yes, that is the trend. I retract my previous statement. You are right. Yours truly bro :)

BTW 5 million is impressive, yes, but out of how many phones? Billions? Not so impressive now, is it? And so this will stop; you are right big screens are the way to go. By big I mean 4.5in and up.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
BTW 5 million is impressive, yes, but out of how many phones? Billions? Not so impressive now, is it? And so this will stop; you are right big screens are the way to go. By big I mean 4.5in and up.

You can't compare the N2 with all cell phone sales, you compare it to other high-end phones. The iPhone sells "poorly" if you want to compare it against every other cellular device sold on Earth. So, 5 million for a device with a screen that big shows there is demand for devices of that nature in the high-end market. I admit, though, the N2's sales pale in comparison to that of the iPhone or Galaxy S3. Regardless, it's quite a respectable number.

I agree with your last, I would classify 4.5" and up as "big."

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante