Saying goodbye

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
The Note 2 is an impressive device, but it isn't for everyone. Sure, it offers a great deal of functionality, but its portability is hindered by its size.
You got to be kidding how is the Note II any less of than a 4" phone. For me this phone is as portable as my Galaxy S

I agree. Although the Note II is wonderful, it is way too big for me to use as a daily phone. That's why I'm happy with the Nexus 4. But I think the best combination is the Nexus 4 for normal phone usage, and then the Nexus 7 for everything else. And the best part? Both of those together is cheaper than the Note II unlocked.
That is something I considered before I bought my phone. I use to carry my 4"phone and 7"table for a few years, but the truth is carrying one device is far more convenient than two. All carry now is one of.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Actually worldwide its estimated 1 billion active smart phones not "billions"

Even so 5 million units is massive for an individual device especially considering its status as a niche phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

corance

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
You can't compare the N2 with all cell phone sales, you compare it to other high-end phones. The iPhone sells "poorly" if you want to compare it against every other cellular device sold on Earth. So, 5 million for a device with a screen that big shows there is demand for devices of that nature in the high-end market. I admit, though, the N2's sales pale in comparison to that of the iPhone or Galaxy S3. Regardless, it's quite a respectable number.

I agree with your last, I would classify 4.5" and up as "big."

Ughhh, I'm not comparing phones per se. I'm compaiing phone sizes. Let me try again. Of all the phones that are being carried around, we are talking size here, MOST are not TV size. Most are 4.5ish. I don't have exact numbers, sorry. You got me, I don't have hard evidence. I have seen numbers that say most people like 4 to 4.5ish, so that's all I know. I was at the mall today and I was looking at EVERY phone I saw. Most of those were smaller phones. And by smaller I mean not N1 or N2. What are we arguing about again? Hahaha, I forgot. Oh yeah! Real world experience...just go to a crowded area and look around. Sadly, most are iPhones, after that it's other 4.8is and down. No matter what brand, make, or model. Once again we are talking size here. On another note the Apple store was packed!!!

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Wait a year or two and the numbers will change think about how long anything larger than 4.5 in has been out not terribly long original note was really a first. I think the trends will change with a little more time.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Ughhh, I'm not comparing phones per se. I'm compaiing phone sizes. Let me try again. Of all the phones that are being carried around, we are talking size here, MOST are not TV size. Most are 4.5ish. I don't have exact numbers, sorry. You got me, I don't have hard evidence. I have seen numbers that say most people like 4 to 4.5ish, so that's all I know. I was at the mall today and I was looking at EVERY phone I saw. Most of those were smaller phones. And by smaller I mean not N1 or N2. What are we arguing about again? Hahaha, I forgot. Oh yeah! Real world experience...just go to a crowded area and look around. Sadly, most are iPhones, after that it's other 4.8is and down. No matter what brand, make, or model. Once again we are talking size here. On another note the Apple store was packed!!!
The Google Play store is packed too :p

I was in town the other day and it was the first time that I saw more Android phones than iphones. It was really weird. And although I don't disagree that most people don't want a phone much bigger than 5inches right now, I do think that as the Note 2 continues to gain popularity we will see more of them out in the wild. I am very surprised by how many people are talking about the Note2. It is really gaining traction for a lot of people that only want one device that lets them do all of the features of a tablet and phone. It's too big for some but in a year I don't think it will look as big.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
The Google Play store is packed too :p

I was in town the other day and it was the first time that I saw more Android phones than iphones. It was really weird. And although I don't disagree that most people don't want a phone much bigger than 5inches right now, I do think that as the Note 2 continues to gain popularity we will see more of them out in the wild. I am very surprised by how many people are talking about the Note2. It is really gaining traction for a lot of people that only want one device that lets them do all of the features of a tablet and phone. It's too big for some but in a year I don't think it will look as big.

Same experience here when my wife and I were last minute xmas shopping. Very easy to identify android phones as most have the center camera and there were lots of those! Lots of S3's, I think he's right, come summer time the market will have shifted even more and android will become even more common, sales figures already prove this.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
No, guy, what didn't make sense was comparing technological advancements, i.e. large, HD resolution displays, to fashion trends. Which you did. Bravo.

And yes, smaller displays would be a step backwards as there have never been any that are remotely comparable to the large displays (Nexus 4, HOX, Note II, etc) as far as quality and resolution. Creating large, high quality displays is an improvement upon smaller displays that simply cannot compete with the current offerings.

"As for big screens being the thing please please please give me at least 3 sources that say that." I'm not sure what you're asking here, and obviously the English language and logic are not your strong suits. If you that was your retort to my saying large screen phones sell well on a global level, then you need to wake up. 5+ million Note II's sold is impressive, and that's one of a dozen current high-end phones. Sales figures are widely available
A couple of things. First, make a point and stop insulting a member personally. Second, the size is not an advancement in and of itself, the quality of the display is. The exact same technologically advanced quality display can be large or small. The iPad (not the mini) and the iPhone have the same quality display, but not the same size. The size is simply a form factor, and in that it IS style.

I guarantee you that the GS III will have a total sale number higher than the Note II. Does that mean the former has better technology than the latter? No. Sales figures don't necessarily correspond to technological superiority.

Everyone is allowed their choice. Just because someone doesn't make yours or think like you does not make them dumb.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I've been thinking about picking up a Note 2. Went to a Verizon store and played around with it for a while. I haven't decided yet, but I could see using it as my everyday device.

Sent from my Nexus 4

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
You got to be kidding how is the Note II any less of than a 4" phone. For me this phone is as portable as my Galaxy S
If for you it's just as portable, great. Use it. But that a larger size makes the note less portable is a statement of fact. It in fact isn't as easy to fit in my jeans' front pocket, which is where I usually carry my phone. I also have smaller hands, so carrying a large phone like the Note II in my grip would be more difficult and tiring.

None of this may affect you enough that you wouldn't consider using it. But that doesn't mean I have to be kidding.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
A couple of things. First, make a point and stop insulting a member personally. Second, the size is not an advancement in and of itself, the quality of the display is. The exact same technologically advanced quality display can be large or small. The iPad (not the mini) and the iPhone have the same quality display, but not the same size. The size is simply a form factor, and in that it IS style.

I guarantee you that the GS III will have a total sale number higher than the Note II. Does that mean the former has better technology than the latter? No. Sales figures don't necessarily correspond to technological superiority.

Everyone is allowed their choice. Just because someone doesn't make yours or think like you does not make them dumb.

First off, when referring to smaller displays, I'm referring to those ever smaller than the iPhone, you know, small displays that simply cannot compete with large displays in terms of technology, and haven't.

Secondly, of course the GS3 will sell better, as it already is. Oddly enough I pointed that out myself, you just failed to read the entire discussion.

Thirdly, everyone does deserve to make their own choices based on their preferences. Variety is a huge reason we all love Android. Interestingly enough the discussion I had with corance had absolutely nothing to do with choice. Him and I even have the same device. Furthermore, if you had read the entire discussion before posting, you would notice I round every display from 4.5" and up as large, which corance also agreed with. I'm not quite sure why ou're comparing the displays of the GS3 with the Note II as they're both large screen, high-end devices.

The entire discussion that you're commenting on was solely about whether or not large screen displays were a trend or not. Corance argues large display devices are an trend, while I argue large displays are an advancement of technology. It's likely a little of both, but if you'd like to contribute on the matter go right ahead.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Consider what these smart phones are built for also. The big thing is media consumption and that media becomes easier and nicer to digest on a larger screen "generalized statement". Most people buying a smartphone aren't just buying one to make phone calls, but to do more like browsing, games, music, and movies. I think the larger screen is more a natural evolution of things given the increasing demand we place on our devices as media replacements when we aren't in our homes. I don't feel its a trend nor do I feel that larger screens themselves are an advancement in technology, although packing a 1080p screen on such small devices is pretty incredible. I think you guys are looking at this argument in the wrong light, look more at the general public and what they do day by day.

taj7575

May 28, 2011
Visit site
If every phone was a Nexus phone that would be great, yes. People would still be free to make the OS as ugly as they like, they would have the choice to do that, but people who don't want to root and ROM would be able to actually buy a phone that performs well out of the box without crap bogging it down and we'd all get updates in a much more timely fashion.

Either way, the non-Nexus Android world doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned. I don't even look at anything that isn't a Nexus device.

But where would the innovation be? As nice as roms are, people don't have the money to invest in R&D and come up with more innovative ideas. The Nexus as it is now has come by taking elements from other manufacturers tries at the Android OS. The Android OS was made to be customized and messed around with, and that goes for the manufacturers as well. And if you don't like it, you can get a Nexus 4 or root a device.

Sometimes, I think some of us Android fans sound like Apple fanboys, and don't even realize it...

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
But where would the innovation be? As nice as roms are, people don't have the money to invest in R&D and come up with more innovative ideas. The Nexus as it is now has come by taking elements from other manufacturers tries at the Android OS. The Android OS was made to be customized and messed around with, and that goes for the manufacturers as well. And if you don't like it, you can get a Nexus 4 or root a device.

Sometimes, I think some of us Android fans sound like Apple fanboys, and don't even realize it...
Of course we are fans. Nothing wrong with that.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
No, guy, what didn't make sense was comparing technological advancements, i.e. large, HD resolution displays, to fashion trends. Which you did. Bravo.

And yes, smaller displays would be a step backwards as there have never been any that are remotely comparable to the large displays (Nexus 4, HOX, Note II, etc) as far as quality and resolution. Creating large, high quality displays is an improvement upon smaller displays that simply cannot compete with the current offerings.

"As for big screens being the thing please please please give me at least 3 sources that say that." I'm not sure what you're asking here, and obviously the English language and logic are not your strong suits. If you that was your retort to my saying large screen phones sell well on a global level, then you need to wake up. 5+ million Note II's sold is impressive, and that's one of a dozen current high-end phones. Sales figures are widely available, take the initiative to research a topic before discussing it.

In short, large screen phones sell extremely well, and large screen displays are not only an improvement on past technology, but a thing of the future.

I forgot to throw "bro" in there, but as I'm not as incompetent as the Jersey Shore cast, or in middle school, I think I'll live.

I wanted to quote the post below in case you missed it. If you can't respect the person you're debating, at least respect your own argument enough not to weaken it by having to resort to personal attacks that have nothing to do with the subject at hand.

A couple of things. First, make a point and stop insulting a member personally.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
I wanted to quote the post below in case you missed it. If you can't respect the person you're debating, at least respect your own argument enough not to weaken it by having to resort to personal attacks that have nothing to do with the subject at hand.

That's fair, though I addressed my fellow debater with the same courteous attitude he had showed me.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Thirdly, everyone does deserve to make their own choices based on their preferences. Variety is a huge reason we all love Android. Interestingly enough the discussion I had with corance had absolutely nothing to do with choice. Him and I even have the same device. Furthermore, if you had read the entire discussion before posting, you would notice I round every display from 4.5" and up as large, which corance also agreed with. I'm not quite sure why ou're comparing the displays of the GS3 with the Note II as they're both large screen, high-end devices.

The entire discussion that you're commenting on was solely about whether or not large screen displays were a trend or not. Corance argues large display devices are an trend, while I argue large displays are an advancement of technology.

Not to belabor the point, but you're the one assuming that I was backing up someone else as opposed to making my own points. 4.5" is a convenient cut off point for your argument, but there is a difference between 4.5" and 5.5". I am arguing that phablets specifically are a trend, not a technological advancement. That is to say that huge screen phones are, not all large screen portable devices (e.g. tablets).

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Not to belabor the point, but you're the one assuming that I was backing up someone else as opposed to making my own points. 4.5" is a convenient cut off point for your argument, but there is a difference between 4.5" and 5.5". I am arguing that phablets specifically are a trend, not a technological advancement. That is to say that huge screen phones are, not all large screen portable devices (e.g. tablets).

I would like an elaboration on why you feel its a trend