No mobile data on Straight Talk (T-Mobile) with Nexus 4

shawnjacobs

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I have read through many threads and spent many (MANY) hours on the phone with Straight Talk customer service. Thus far I have not received any helpful suggestions. The issue I'm having is getting mobile data to work on my Nexus 4. My carrier is Straight Talk (via T-Mobile). My APN settings are correct, and I will list them here. Any helpful ideas would be extremely appreciated.

APN information:
Name: Straight Talk
APN: wap.tracfone
Proxy: not set
Port: 8080
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://mms.tracfone.com
MMS proxy: Not set
MMS port: Not set
MCC: 310
MNC: 260
Authentication type: Not set
APN type: default,supl,mms
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
APN enable/disable: APN enabled
Beared: Unspecified

Here's some information that stuck out to me from Settings>About phone>Status:
Network: Home
Mobile network type: UNKNOWN:0
Mobile network state: Disconnected

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Just tried a half-dozen things on the software side with my Straight Talk card installed, and couldn't get it to do that.

Dumb question, but you're sure you've got T-Mobile coverage where you are? (Apologies -- just thinking out loud.)

Other things I tried, without getting the same results as you:
  • Airplane mode on
  • Default T-Mobile APN instead of straight talk
  • Removed value for APN Type (which is not listed under the ST settings on its support page)
  • Turned off mobile data

MazoMark

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you are roaming and not receiving a strong enough T-Mobile signal. Straight Talk won't receive any mobile data if you're roaming off network.

jrham

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Phils question is actually quite valid. I've had service but not date in fringe areas. Have you tried using data in both apps and the browser? I had an issue with that at first, I'm trying to remember the cause of the issue.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Android Central Forums

shawnjacobs

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I guess I'm skeptical because I live in the heart of Salt Lake City. Yes, I have tried using both apps and the browser; no success with either one.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I was having this problem with T-Mobile's monthly 4G when I first got my Nexus. I fixed it simply by resetting my APN profile back to default and it's worked perfectly since. Try that, and see if it works. If not, add any extra settings ST normally has you add. If that doesn't work, try making a whole new profile and deleting the old one.

shawnjacobs

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I was having this problem with T-Mobile's monthly 4G when I first got my Nexus. I fixed it simply by resetting my APN profile back to default and it's worked perfectly since. Try that, and see if it works. If not, add any extra settings ST normally has you add. If that doesn't work, try making a whole new profile and deleting the old one.

I have done both of these things multiple times. :(

shawnjacobs

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Spoke with ST yet again today. At one point, she had me restart my phone despite me not making any changes on my end. When I was up and running again, I had a small "H" next to my bars (as well as little arrows). However, upon trying to access anything in my browser, I get the message, "Server error; The website encountered an error while retrieving http://androidapi.t-mobile.com/apppack/mvno.html. It may be down for maintenance or configured incorrectly." This happens when attempted to visit ANY website. So I haven't changed any settings, she just made some alteration on the ST end. When asked what it is she did, she refused to say, which I found odd. She then explained that my phone SHOULD be working (*eyeroll*). She then advised me to contact my manufacturer (LG) and ask them what is wrong with my phone. I asked her what the next step would be assuming LG found my phone to be fine, and she said that ST would attempt the same steps that they had done today during the phone call. I pushed her further asking what would THEN be the next step, and she said that she could then escalate my ticket. I'm happy to see that at least SOME degree of progress is being made, but it's silly that it's taken well over 20 hours of futile interaction with customer service just to get this far. I plan to speak with ST once more, get my ticket escalated, and then see what they can offer me. If the issue is not fixed immediately thereafter, I will change to a different carrier. What a headache. On the bright side, my browser is at least getting redirected instead of simply not connecting to anything.

One final note -- my "mobile network type" now reads "HSPA:10" instead of "UNKNOWN:0". My "mobile network state" has been bouncing around from "Connected" to "Disconnected."

Tim Dougherty

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Oh, boy... looks like I a min the same boat as you Shawn.
Any insight into WTF is going on... I'm at the point where in About Phone: Status
it says Mobile Network Type: UNKNOWN:0

I get all bars of graphic signal... no 'H', no HSPA+

Mobile NETowrk State:= Disconnected

What a pain!

-Tim

Bitojoe

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm also getting this exact same problem. I have the correct apn settings (have tried making the fields blank) and I've tried resetting the phone multiple times as well. The only difference is that I signed up on Straight Talks at&t network. My phone reads this...
Mobile Network Type: HSPA:10
Service State: In service (I have 4 bars)
Mobile Network state: Disconnected

Also when I go to the *#*#4636#*#* menu, It says this...
GPRS service: Disconnected
GSM disconnects: ========DATA=======

If you find anything out, please tell us! I'm starting to think its something that is wrong with the phone

rhea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Is this a recent (last day or two) sign up? It can take more than 24 hours for data to work. Check to make sure your mobile data is turned on (yeah, I know it is too) then submit a support ticket at Facebook. When I first got my nexus 4, I was getting data but no mms and I was using the sim from my gnex-cut down of course. I read somewhere to use MMS proxy "mms2.tracfone.com" which seemed to work but now it works with the published MMS proxy. Go figure. In any case, when you submit a fb ticket, they respond with generic info which you've already done, BUT, they do something that gets things working- that's been my experience. YMMV but worth a try. Good luck.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Bitojoe

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Is this a recent (last day or two) sign up? It can take more than 24 hours for data to work. Check to make sure your mobile data is turned on (yeah, I know it is too) then submit a support ticket at Facebook. When I first got my nexus 4, I was getting data but no mms and I was using the sim from my gnex-cut down of course. I read somewhere to use MMS proxy "mms2.tracfone.com" which seemed to work but now it works with the published MMS proxy. Go figure. In any case, when you submit a fb ticket, they respond with generic info which you've already done, BUT, they do something that gets things working- that's been my experience. YMMV but worth a try. Good luck.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Yeah I signed up Tuesday night. I am just concerned because if it's a messed up device, I only have a few more days to do an RMA. At the moment, I can't get mms or any data. I will try the facebook thing right now though.

shawnjacobs

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I highly doubt the problem is with the phone. Straight Talk forums have had several similar issues in the last 24 hours. Problem is, they only resolve issues in private messages, and you have to post on their forums five times before you're able to utilize private messages. My phone started having this exact same issue (again) today after several weeks of working just fine, so I'm inclined to believe it's something with ST's service having a hiccup. Most infuriating is that I don't know what finally caused my data to start working a couple of weeks ago. If this problem isn't resolved by ST by tomorrow, I am switching over to T-mobile. I wish I could assist further in letting you know what caused/resolved my issue in the past, but ST has been tight-lipped about it.

shawnjacobs

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Here is today's correspondence with ST in PMs. Note that more recent messages come first.

Re: No mobile data

Sent: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:17 pm
by shawnjacobs
I restarted my phone three times before that, and the mobile data still did not work.

Sent: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:15 pm
by ST - Katie
I did nothing. I just asked you to turn your phone off and on so as your data connection to refresh it.

Sent: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:10 pm
by shawnjacobs
I have just restarted my phone. I once again have mobile data. I have not updated my phone's "software" recently. What did you do to cause the mobile data to start working again?

Sent: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:07 pm
by ST - Katie
Please turn your phone off and on as well as your 3G connection. Did you update your software recently?

Sent: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:03 pm
by shawnjacobs
Yes. It says "Unable to connect to the Internet. Google Chrome can't display the webpage because your mobile device isn't connected to the Internet."

Sent: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:58 pm
by ST - Katie
Did you encounter an error when you try to access your web browser?

Sent: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:54 pm
by shawnjacobs
The SIM card number is: *snip*

Sent: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:51 pm
by ST - Katie
I need to access your account for me to assist you. You can provide me your SIM card number.

Sent: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:49 pm
by shawnjacobs
What value is the serial number? The issue is with Straight Talk, not my phone.

Sent: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:36 pm
by ST - Katie
Subject: No mobile data

May I have the serial number of your phone?

Bitojoe

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Here is today's correspondence with ST in PMs. Note that more recent messages come first.

God thats ridiculous. I was on the phone with some lady from straight talk today and I swear she had me restart my phone at least 6 times. F@*king ridiculous. Well thanks for your help! I guess I will go onto their forum and ask why my data isn't working...

Tim Dougherty

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Called 'Fictitious Name' from straight talk today and after describing my issue to one operator and asking for a reset on there side, she sent me to another operator who reset my phone, instructed me to reboot, and it worked immediately. I find getting an operator is the hard part. ALthough I hate the customer service, I talk to them with a smile on my face and address them by the made up names they give me. :)

Anyway, the white bars went to blue and the grey 'H' showed up next to the bars for the first time
The APN is Straight Talk, it says "HOME" below the lock button and in the "About Phone" page Network = HOME, Mobile Network Type = HSPA:10
Service State:In Service, Mobile Network State :Connected

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1