Problems with H but not G

brokerwoods

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I have a Nexus 4 and am having problems with internet.

It works fine when I have G at the top of the screen, but as soon as i go into an area and get H, my browser stops working.

Aside from this, apps like Facebook work fine whether G or H.

Any ideas?

thanks

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
G is 3g and H is 4G. maybe the browser is not taking well when the switch happens.

i assume you are using chrome. can you update chrome to latest version. clear data cache for chrome and set it up again.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Technically you are correct. Most of us, and Verizon, refer to LTE as 4G, while AT&T and T-Mobile market HSPA+ as 4G.

As for your problem... I wish you luck lol. I do not have the slightest clue what the issue could be.

"4G" is a meaningless marketing term which simply means "4th generation"; the same applies to "3G' and "2G". As a marketing term, AT&T and T-Mobile have just as much right to call their HSPA network "4G" as Verizon has to call their LTE network "4G".

See 4G - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Meanwhile, it is a longshot but try this:

Open the phone app and dial *#*#4636#*#*. Tap Phone Info on the menu which pops up. Scroll down to the line just above the "Turn off radio" button and if it says anything other than "WCDMA preferred", tap the arrow to the right and set it accordingly.

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I always thought on older phones that "G" stood for GPRS, which was worse than edge.

G = GPRS (used to see this on my BB Curve)

E = EDGE

3G = 3G

H = HSPA (on some phones, some use. 4G to show HSPA as well)

4G = HSPA+ (on some phones, I guess some show H+)

4GLTE = LTE

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
"4G" is a meaningless marketing term which simply means "4th generation"; the same applies to "3G' and "2G". As a marketing term, AT&T and T-Mobile have just as much right to call their HSPA network "4G" as Verizon has to call their LTE network "4G".

See 4G - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Correct, which is why calling LTE "4G" is logical as it's the next generation of technology, meanwhile HPSA+ is the same technology used in the "third generation."

I suppose there's no real right or wrong answer, it's just clever/deceptive marketing by AT&T and T-Mobile to refer to their networks as 4G while they're using previous gen tech. I find it amusing that AT&T's LTE coverage is a fraction of Verizon's so they advertise they have the largest 4G network but leave out those three important letters lol.

josegb2011

May 2, 2012
Visit site
Sorry for the noob question since I'm coming from Verizon this is new to me but H for the nexus 4 at least can mean 4g both variants right from 21-42mbs speed.. Or do I need the + ?

Last edited:

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Sorry for the noob question since I'm coming from Verizon this is new to me but H for the nexus 4 at least can mean 4g both variants right from 21-42mbs speed.. Or do I need the + ?

I believe the N4 just displays the "H" for "4G." And you'll only have the capability of 42mbps if you're running on T-Mobile's DC-HSPA+ network as AT&T's theoretical maximum speeds top out at 21mpbs.

mattatwar1

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I always thought on older phones that "G" stood for GPRS, which was worse than edge.

G = GPRS (used to see this on my BB Curve)

E = EDGE

3G = 3G

H = HSPA (on some phones, some use. 4G to show HSPA as well)

4G = HSPA+ (on some phones, I guess some show H+)

4GLTE = LTE

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

Were I live my carriers fastest data here is edge..... (Has hspa+ in other locations)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Douglas Fields

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
First time poster, long time browser. Not sure if this is the same issue, but today, when I was on another part of my campus for the first time, the wifi and data icons turned gray- no google service. If I switched off the wifi, got data connection to google service just fine (data icon blue). Turn wifi back on, both drop out (still have connection, but gray, not blue). I've seen a lot of posts about things like this, but haven't seen a good technical description of the solution, if there is any besides turning off wifi. I'm just confused - if there is a problem with the wifi connection, why doesn't the data connection supersede?

saeufer

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
First time poster, long time browser. Not sure if this is the same issue, but today, when I was on another part of my campus for the first time, the wifi and data icons turned gray- no google service. If I switched off the wifi, got data connection to google service just fine (data icon blue). Turn wifi back on, both drop out (still have connection, but gray, not blue). I've seen a lot of posts about things like this, but haven't seen a good technical description of the solution, if there is any besides turning off wifi. I'm just confused - if there is a problem with the wifi connection, why doesn't the data connection supersede?

Because it just doesn't. Every Android device I've ever had defers to wifi for data even when the wifi is broken, not logged in, etc.

jim302

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
On the Nexus 4...

G = GPRS (marketed as 2G, fast enough for email, or basic web browsing with mostly text and minimal graphics)
E = EDGE (also marketed as 2G, but faster than GPRS and often usable for some streaming audio such as Pandora)
3G = UMTS W-CDMA (different than CDMA2000 as used by Verizon, Sprint, US Cellular, and some other regional carriers)
H = HSPA or HSPA+
4G = LTE (unofficial support enabled in a service menu... could be removed in a future update)

Phones can differ based on manufacturer and carrier customization. Some phones show 2G for EDGE or 4G for HSPA+. If you throw the CDMA2000 carriers such as Verizon and Sprint in the mix, things can get even more confusing.

Douglas Fields

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Because it just doesn't. Every Android device I've ever had defers to wifi for data even when the wifi is broken, not logged in, etc.

But I do get data (I could download a web page using Chrome for example), just no Google services (like Google Voice wouldn't log in). Is that most likely an issue with the router settings on campus? Not sure why they would block Google services when I COULD log on to my Google+ account. It was just weird, not a huge issue, but it happened when I was trying to show off my Nexus 4 to a group of iPhone users, so it was somewhat embarrassing.

saeufer

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
But I do get data (I could download a web page using Chrome for example), just no Google services (like Google Voice wouldn't log in). Is that most likely an issue with the router settings on campus? Not sure why they would block Google services when I COULD log on to my Google+ account. It was just weird, not a huge issue, but it happened when I was trying to show off my Nexus 4 to a group of iPhone users, so it was somewhat embarrassing.

Ahh... Yeah, it sounds like the router is configured to block most ports. G+ may use the same port as http/s (port 80 or 443) but I bet Voice and other services don't.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87