Camera shutter speed/lag/delay?

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
How quick is the camera shutter on the Nexus 4? Is it just as quick as the Galaxy S3?

For me, shutter speed is even more important to me than quality. Anyone with kids knows shutter lag makes picture taking aggravating.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
How quick is the camera shutter on the Nexus 4? Is it just as quick as the Galaxy S3?

For me, shutter speed is even more important to me than quality. Anyone with kids knows shutter lag makes picture taking aggravating.

I feel like the animation on the N4 camera slows it down a bit when compared to the GS3 that just snaps the pic without an animation. Although the animation is nice and its still pretty fast with it, I can only imagine itd be faster without it. The iPhone 5 has an animation too but it seems to handle it better and still moves faster.

I've taken some blurry shots of folks who move while im taking a picture. Happens more often than not. But im sure not everyone has experienced this. (Also on a side note when compared to my friends GS3, when rapidly tapping the button to take the pictures, I found that the camera will sometimes pause to refocus before continuing. I cant rip off 20 pics in a row smoothly as my buddys GS3 could.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
It is def slow in comparison to gs3. Every time I take a picture I'm reminded of it. I remember how happy I was when I got the gs3 because bam your picture was so automatic with no lag at all. One of my biggest complaints with the nexus is everything involving the camera.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
It is def slow in comparison to gs3. Every time I take a picture I'm reminded of it. I remember how happy I was when I got the gs3 because bam your picture was so automatic with no lag at all. One of my biggest complaints with the nexus is everything involving the camera.

Thanks. Yeah, that was my understanding, and fear, about the Nexus 4 camera. The camera portion is pretty important to me, so I'm seriously considering a S3 instead. Thanks again, both of you, for your input.

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
If you want a good phone camera then I think the nexus 4 is going to disappoint you. Its not terrible and takes decent photos but the GS3 is by far the better choice for camera quality.

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Any way to address this issue with an app or something?

It seems like the camera speed increased on the Gnex from 4.0 to 4.1, with 4.2 and the new N4 it seems on par with what the Gnex does. So maybe with some software tweaks in the camera app on Android 5.0 (Different animation maybe? Tweak the auto focuse) it would probably be faster...but thats with the next OS version. Also, maybe a different camera app may utulize the speed better.

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I used a different app (Camera Zoom FX) and it can take pictures significantly faster than the stock app. It can take 4 pictures in less than a second using the burst mode. Also it takes pictures much faster than the galaxy nexus in this app.

taj7575

May 28, 2011
Visit site
The stock camera is extremely slow. The thing that disappointed me the most is the HDR mode, which takes forever to render, while the iPhone 5 takes about 2 seconds to render. To give a comparison, the iPhone 4 took about 8 seconds to render an HDR picture, and the Nexus 4 feels that long, which is sad considering the fact that it has a quad-core processor...

zzbxdo

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
HDR Feels pretty quick to me ~2secs... compared to like 10 on the gnex using HDR+. I was actually amazed how quick it processed in comparison when I used it my first time.

nickacs

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
I used a different app (Camera Zoom FX) and it can take pictures significantly faster than the stock app. It can take 4 pictures in less than a second using the burst mode. Also it takes pictures much faster than the galaxy nexus in this app.

I use this too. I HATE the HDR stock camera lag on this device. Ridiculous coming from such a high end phone/JB 4.2 software :( I have a 13month old so I take a lot of quick shots and I've missed so many and/or they come out blurry because he moves in the 3-5secs it takes to take a friggin picture :mad:

I didn't use Camera FX or Vignette much with my old Droid Bionic, but I switched to both in the last 2 weeks and photos are crystal clear and take shots immediately with NO lag... I really hope a future update of JB software can fix this ridiculous lag

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
After careful consideration I went with the Sammy GS3. The reviews on the S3 camera have been pretty much stellar across the board and it seemed like the wise choice.

If they ever improve the stock camera performance in the N4 in the future and I decide to switch, I can always sell my S3 for more than I need to cover the cost of the 16GB N4.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol