getting My Nexus today, should I keep it or return.

boristhespie

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Just had email to say I should get this today but have had time to doubt.

When I ordered this it was new and exciting but as the weeks have gone on my enthusiasm has waned and now with CES build up throwing up new phones left right and centre and rumours of Galaxy S4 etc I am asking myself "has Google missed the boat with me". Nexus 4 was new but it seems in the fast moving world of mobile it no longer is. Even the rumour of an X phone irritates given the delay in getting my mitts on my order.

I was even admiring and contemplating the Lumia 920 which is available around the same price as I have paid for the Nexus and i rate Windows 8, sorry and rate Nokia who make classy hardware.the HTC Droid DNA.

So can I ask advice. Has Google left it too late and should I wait for a month or so or is the Nexus 4 THAT great?

Last edited:

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Every phone becomes outdated not too long after its released. If everyone paused and said "Wait, this phone is great and all, but there could be something better in a few months" approach, you would never get a new phone because you'd be constantly second guessing whether or not there was something similar or better right around the corner. Know what I mean? The HTC DNA came out and then rumours of the HTC M whatever its called started swirling. Or this year, the One X came out then the One X+ came out shortly after. Does that mean the One X is outdated. Yes I suppose, because the X+ has better specs. But is it a bad phone and are the owners wrong for not waiting to see if there was something better coming? No. They made a great choice at the time and its still a great phone. Every phone is usurped by a better phone at least 3months apart in my opinion. I would just pick the best phone available and be happy with it. You have the Nexus 4, I think i'd be fine with that. I wouldn't even expect a S4 release until at least May. And everything else are just rumors, no concrete proof or release dates yet.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't buy anything that CES announces this year...rumor has it that next year's CES will have even better stuff. Return the N4 and wait for the next best device.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't buy anything that CES announces this year...rumor has it that next year's CES will have even better stuff. Return the N4 and wait for the next best device.
Lol. Sounds like someone wants your phone.

This phone is a future proof as it gets. It's fast beautiful and will get updates for years. I love it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Depends on what you want in a phone. Like Deadpool said above, there is always a better looking phone right around the corner. Get used to that. I will tell you that I adore this phone, it is fast, gorgeous, and fits my needs in terms of a huge amount of developer support (custom ROM action) and I love the security of knowing that I can never brick a Nexus and they will always be easily unlockable and flocked to by the dev community. AOSP based ROMs will come fast, be updated all the time, and pretty much be stable and reliable right off the bat since it's an AOSP-supported device.

If the dev scene isn't for you there are still plenty of perks... things to consider would be how much you enjoy pure vanilla Android versus the OEM versions available, how important having the latest version of Android is to you, having most apps work with your device before others (since as a developer device, app developers almost entirely own the Nexus and use it to judge when designing their apps).. among other things.

I owned the Galaxy Nexus for almost a year before this phone came out and never felt lacking when new phones were released. Whereas I had the Droid Bionic first and that was almost immediately out done by the Droid Razr and other phones every few weeks, before I sold it 3 months after purchase to get the Gnex, which again I never felt was missing anything.

JGK123

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I got the Nexus 4 a couple weeks ago and came from a blackberry bold 9900. I am very happy with the phone although I do miss my blackberry slightly. I agree with DeadPoolJunior, don't make yourself suffer by constantly thinking, 'what if.' I suggest trying out the Nexus for a week or two. if you like it, keep it. If there are things you don't particularly like, then you should consider looking into something else. Everyone has a different preference, that's why we have so many different companies, phones and OS's out there. Everyone has a preference. If you use the nexus for a few weeks and really like it, what's the point in looking at other phones? I've been suffering from the "if I wait a bit longer then a better phone will come out" curse, and recently decided that it's not worth my time. I like the nexus, and that's enough for me... for now :p

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
They're will always be better android phones in the new months. Those phones announced at CES won't be vanilla android and will be controlled by the carriers like almost all android phones except the Nexus devices. You won't have the best phone forever, buy the one that best suits your wants and needs not because you want to have the newest toy.

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
They're will always be better android phones in the new months. Those phones announced at CES won't be vanilla android and will be controlled by the carriers like almost all android phones except the Nexus devices. You won't have the best phone forever, buy the one that best suits your wants and needs not because you want to have the newest toy.

Next months? I don't think so. Well yeah but not significantly. The Nexus 4 isn't that much better than the S3 and that was released a while back. The best phone imo in the next year or so is the Nexus 4 because of it's price. The specs are going to get outdated but the price will still be lower than many other phones.

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Next months? I don't think so. Well yeah but not significantly. The Nexus 4 isn't that much better than the S3 and that was released a while back. The best phone imo in the next year or so is the Nexus 4 because of it's price. The specs are going to get outdated but the price will still be lower than many other phones.

Point is get what you like, not what's the newest toy on the block so I can show it off to my co workers. That's all.

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I'd get a phone that is guaranteed to get the latest Android updates on time, every time. And right now that is the Nexus 4, until next years Nexus 5. By then Google will have caught up on demand for the Nexus 4!

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I'd get a phone that is guaranteed to get the latest Android updates on time, every time. And right now that is the Nexus 4, until next years Nexus 5. By then Google will have caught up on demand for the Nexus 4!
I've decided to go 100% Nexus. I can buy a new phone every year and pass my old one down to my wife or kids and still be spending less than if I went with a contract plan for a different device. The Note 2 is cool, but I have a tablet to play with, so it's all about getting the latest and greatest Vanilla experience from Google.

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I've decided to go 100% Nexus. I can buy a new phone every year and pass my old one down to my wife or kids and still be spending less than if I went with a contract plan for a different device. The Note 2 is cool, but I have a tablet to play with, so it's all about getting the latest and greatest Vanilla experience from Google.

No experience like the pure Google experience. I, as well as others would agree you've made a wise decision. Keep in mind that hardware is only as good as the software it runs, and no other phone out there is running Android 4.2. I hope you enjoy your Nexus 4! :p

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
No experience like the pure Google experience. I, as well as others would agree you've made a wise decision. Keep in mind that hardware is only as good as the software it runs, and no other phone out there is running Android 4.2. I hope you enjoy your Nexus 4! :p
I am really liking it. There could be better phones in some areas but not with the ability to see the next os features. It's not everyone's choice but it is mine. The size is perfect.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
When I was shopping for my first computer back around 1996 or so, I kept stalling because the latest thing was so expensive, the cheaper stuff was obsolete, and something even better was just over the horizon. Finally, a guy at the now-long-defunct Computer City gave me a crystalizing piece of wisdom: "The tech world is an ever-flowing river of progress and you're just going to have to jump in sometime."

While the GS4 may be getting announced at CES, how likely is it to be getting rushed to stores when the GS3 is only 7 months old? The GS3 is selling like hotcakes and the moment they announce a new model, people will stop buying them while waiting for the new hotness to arrive. What's the upside of that for Samsung?

Then you have to remember the killer features of the Nexus 4; more important than pure Android and super-hot specs: It's inexpensive, unlocked, and NO CONTRACTS!!! You're not going to get a GS4 or anything else new in 2013 for $350. Period. And to get that "bargain" price of $200-$250 you'll have to commit to two years of bondage with a carrier which may cost double (or more) than what most people are paying with Straight Talk and similar services. Do the math: $350 Nexus 4 + $50/mo. Straight Talk (w/taxes) for two years is $1550 vs. a "$200" subsidized GS4 + $100/mo service costing $2600. What's the better deal? (Duh.) And when the new Nexus comes out, you can sell the old one and continue on your merry way with whatever GSM service you've been using.