Truth about Gorilla Glass!

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Saw this video on youtube and I learned a lot about gorilla glass and what you need for the Nexus 4 if you apply that knowledge.

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, it is a pretty old video but I was just introduced into the android field (and gorilla glass since iPhone doesn't use it) so I have a lot to watch and learn ^ ^

SOLGarion

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
As far as I am aware the iPhone does use Gorilla Glass and always has. Apple and Corning just don't advertise it as such. Apple wants the impression of the iPhone to be all Apple.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
As far as I am aware the iPhone does use Gorilla Glass and always has. Apple and Corning just don't advertise it as such. Apple wants the impression of the iPhone to be all Apple.

Tim Cook, and I believe even Steve Jobs have both actually said they use gorilla glass. It was in reference to Apple products being made in the states, when they said the glass was made by Corning in Kentucky.

PhilSterBoy

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Great video! I normally do not use screen protectors because I hate the way they feel and I feel like they make then screen look worse. Does anyone know of with these glass screen protectors if they feel like the plastic ones?

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Great video! I normally do not use screen protectors because I hate the way they feel and I feel like they make then screen look worse. Does anyone know of with these glass screen protectors if they feel like the plastic ones?

Well I think (just basing off the video) the feel of the corning gorilla glass comes from the film that she was talking about and if you don't have that on a screen protector then it won't feel the same.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

The Spigen screen protectors are made of the same materials as Gorilla glass so they apparently feel the same.

kgk1985

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site

I believe Apple uses a real glass that is chemical treated (not synthetic like GG) and has an antismudge coating, called. ....oleophobic or something like that. Iphone glass shatters much easier than other phones from what I've seen

sent from Galaxy Note 2

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I believe Apple uses a real glass that is chemical treated (not synthetic like GG) and has an antismudge coating, called. ....oleophobic or something like that. Iphone glass shatters much easier than other phones from what I've seen

sent from Galaxy Note 2
Apple uses Gorilla glass.

SOLGarion

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I think Steve Jobs and Cook know, or in Jobs case knew, more about it than you. Don't know if the 5 uses 1 or 2 but they all use GG.

Edit:

Here http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/06/04/corning-outs-ultra-slim-flexible-willow-glass/

Article is about new willow glass but goes on to talk about the start of the iPhone and GG.

If not for Jobs might have had to wait a bit longer before GG became widely used or produced. Corning already had the idea and technique for GG all on their own but Jobs pushed them to get mass manufacturing up and running sooner. Jobs did his usual "Do it now" thing despite what timelines he was told were required. Supplier lists are often not complete.

Last edited:

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I think Steve Jobs and Cook know, or in Jobs case knew, more about it than you. Don't know if the 5 uses 1 or 2 but they all use GG.

Edit:

Here iPhone display glass maker Corning outs ultra-slim, flexible Willow Glass

Article is about new willow glass but goes on to talk about the start of the iPhone and GG.

If not for Jobs might have had to wait a bit longer before GG became widely used or produced. Corning already had the idea and technique for GG all on their own but Jobs pushed them to get mass manufacturing up and running sooner. Jobs did his usual "Do it now" thing despite what timelines he was told were required. Supplier lists are often not complete.

Hmm, never knew they used gorilla glass. Well I found that the glass is quite durable to scratches and everything and i'm 100% sure that they didn't use gorilla glass on the ipod touch 4 so it might be just iphone or new generations

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, never knew they used gorilla glass. Well I found that the glass is quite durable to scratches and everything and i'm 100% sure that they didn't use gorilla glass on the ipod touch 4 so it might be just iphone or new generations
I think it was only on the 4S. Maybe the 4 but I don't think the ipods have had it.

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I must admit people who do the most common drops must be idiots like exiting a car... really? yes i will run over my phone with a car..