Backup & Restore

BobbyTC

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I have a Nexus 4 16gb, not rooted. Under setting I have backup and restore checked. But I also see apps such as Titanium Backup and Ultimate Backup available on the Play store. Is what I have for backup & restore enough or what more do I need to do? Thank you.

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Backup and restore in Android only backs up certain settings and which apps you have installed. Apps like Titanium backup will also backup app data.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
The only true "data/settings" backup is using Titanium or MyBackup Root which requires the device to be unlocked & rooted. The application and normally its important data is saved to /data/app/ which requires root access for these applications to touch those areas of your device.

Android's backup and restore will remember the apps which you downloaded and some associated settings. If you were to factory reset your device or switch to a new device it would redownload those apps on initial start up.

But for example if you were playing Angry Birds and wanted to save your progress the in the game the only way to do it is by rooting and using one of the mentioned 3rd party apps.

Tip: Always try and take advantage of any apps that have backup & restore options built into the settings of the app. Apps that come to mind for this are most 3rd party launchers (Nova, Go Launcher, ADW Launcher) or other apps like Dolphin Browser, ColorNote, etc..

Its slow going but more and more developers are starting to implement the option to backup and save app data/settings for the user so they don't have to turn to rooting and use of 3rd party applications.

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
There are some applications that you need to be rooted to use, like titanium backup, but some of them you don't need to. TItanium back up is the best imo and a lot of people use it but you need to be rooted

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
The backup that Android makes is linked to your Google account. Backups performed by Titanium or other 3rd party apps is normally saved on your sdcard (internal/external storage) and even some have the option to save it online to a specified account (this I don't recommend for security/privacy reasons).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34