Nova Launcher on Nexus 4 - Any users?

AuntieJimbo

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm trying out Nova on my new Nexus 7 before my 4 arrives today (HURRY UPS). It's a bit perplexing. I'm perplexed. But I'm sure the more time I spend with it, the more sense it will make. I hope.

eta: I see that I need to use Go launcher to change the app icons. So is Nova launcher like a pizza crust, and Go launcher and similar are the toppings?

Last edited:

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I use Nova on my N4. No considerable battery drain. No performance issues either... It's really smooth.
Some times I even forget there's a launcher!

The ability to hide apps and create folders within the application list is really handy.

Why not just disable them?

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
So, as an example, I tap and hold the Google+ app, select disable and it tells me that other apps may misbehave if I disable it. It then asks me to install the factory version of it.

Its not making it very easy to just hide the app. Am I doing something wrong?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Nope, you're not doing it wrong. Do this:

1. Uninstall updates to Google+ (i.e. go back to factory version)
2. Disable it
3. Force Stop it/Clear data/cache

I disabled it (2-3 weeks ago) and have not had any problems.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
So, as an example, I tap and hold the Google+ app, select disable and it tells me that other apps may misbehave if I disable it.

It's just a simple warning that the app is not completely stand-alone. In this case, when it says other apps may misbehave, it's probably talking about the photo upload feature and other minor options you can enable in G+. If you don't use it, don't worry about it.

Chingyul

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Been using the free Nova since i got the nexus 4. Love the tweaking you can do (one of the big draws for ditching iOS).

You can change app icons with Nova (at least on the home screen) by long pressing and then hit Edit.
Has the paid version ever been on sale? Was kinda holding out for one, but if it doesn't, I may just jump in at $4.

promanex

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm trying out Nova on my new Nexus 7 before my 4 arrives today (HURRY UPS). It's a bit perplexing. I'm perplexed. But I'm sure the more time I spend with it, the more sense it will make. I hope.

eta: I see that I need to use Go launcher to change the app icons. So is Nova launcher like a pizza crust, and Go launcher and similar are the toppings?

Nope. In nova just tap and hold the app shortcut an it will give you an option to edit it, tap that then tap the icon and it will let you choose a new one.

Chum

May 7, 2010
Visit site

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I bought it for 25 cents at the end of September during Google Play's 25-cent promotional sale. Long before I even bought my Nexus. Maybe I'll install it this weekend.
Google's final day of 25-cent apps features Horn, Nova Launcher Prime, Air Control and more | Android Central
I got it at the same time. I kept going back to Go Launcher but decided to give Nova a try again on my Nexus 4 and love it. It runs so fast. Here's my latest screen. uploadfromtaptalk1357194744885.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Basscase

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm hearing a lot about Nova lately.

I've used ADW EX for over a year now and it sounds almost identical. It's super stable, smooth, fast and completely customizable. Awesome transitions, gestures (I currently have it set to open the camera on pinch... Pretty cool), dock customizing, folders, icons etc. Flawless jellybean/ics integration...Totally feels oem. I love it.

What are the differences and plusses of Nova over ADW?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

pugnuttt

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
I just installed it yesterday and I love it! Lost sleep can't stop playing with it. I installed it on my N7 but it didn't work so well. Lagg and snag.

krustyg

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: Sv: Nova Launcher on Nexus 4 - Any users?

I am using it on my Nexus 4 and I find it's just as quick and smooth as the stock launcher but adds a few features that I really like. I think I am gonna go ahead and get the paid version as I have been using the free one and I like it so much.

edit: I also use it on my Nexus 7 because I wanted my phone and tablet to have a consistent UI, and I have found it runs fine on that bad boy too

Bar81

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Nova is good but after it fubared icons I also bought Apex and like it even better. Try both and make up your mind

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Nova is good but after it fubared icons I also bought Apex and like it even better. Try both and make up your mind

How did it fubar your icons? I have Apex and Nova both installed and swap back and forth all the time. They are both pretty good, but I think Nova is better. It's faster and gives you a few more features that make customizing easier.

Bar81

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Would not load theme line after I had been using it for a couple of days although the other themes were fine; I tried everything including deleting data and the apps and reinstalling but could never get it to work again. Went to Apex and it worked.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Would not load theme line after I had been using it for acouple of days although the other themes were fine; I tried everyting including deleting data and the apps and reinstalling but could never get it to work again.
Theme Line? What does that mean?

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Oh. Icons. Not sure why you had an issue. I've never had a problem.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463