Nova Launcher on Nexus 4 - Any users?

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm hearing a lot about Nova lately.

I've used ADW EX for over a year now and it sounds almost identical. It's super stable, smooth, fast and completely customizable. Awesome transitions, gestures (I currently have it set to open the camera on pinch... Pretty cool), dock customizing, folders, icons etc. Flawless jellybean/ics integration...Totally feels oem. I love it.

What are the differences and plusses of Nova over ADW?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

i've used ADW (free version) for a little bit and dont like the way the app drawer behaves (scrolling way too fast) in comparison to nova. also, no dock pages, no dock swipes, no dock divider, and you are stuck with that glossy finish at the bottom of the screen if you want a dock. another thing is when you long press an icon on the homescreen, you can't uninstall the app directly. you also cant change the icon directly, you have to go through a more extensive process (create a custom shortcut or something iirc). Apex and Nova are almost identical but Nova edges it out because of its ability to backup/restore widgets and your whole desktop layout very easily (a themer's dream launcher lol). ADW is still decent though.

promanex

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
They are called Metro Station. Probably the most versatile icons available.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...p.u1aryz.products.metrostation&token=MfIH7XHs

Here's my screen with a new twist with the same look.
View attachment 55637

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Thanks! Now my home screen looks like this :D

1OuVKvPxvNWl6_aZWIwroxDfo0Y03m2ebYasKLaqd54

Bong Yu

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Dear all,

Do you know how can i import the backup setting from previous andorid device to Nexus 4 ?? i cant find com.teslacoilsw.launcher this folder .. thanks.

Basscase

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
i've used ADW (free version) for a little bit and dont like the way the app drawer behaves (scrolling way too fast) in comparison to nova. also, no dock pages, no dock swipes, no dock divider, and you are stuck with that glossy finish at the bottom of the screen if you want a dock. another thing is when you long press an icon on the homescreen, you can't uninstall the app directly. you also cant change the icon directly, you have to go through a more extensive process (create a custom shortcut or something iirc). Apex and Nova are almost identical but Nova edges it out because of its ability to backup/restore widgets and your whole desktop layout very easily (a themer's dream launcher lol). ADW is still decent though.

Every single thing you mentioned is addressed in the paid version of ADW. Scrollable docks, themed docks, paginators, icons etc.

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Every single thing you mentioned is addressed in the paid version of ADW. Scrollable docks, themed docks, paginators, icons etc.
I know you can change icons in ADW but it's a pain when compared to nova or apex. Instead of long pressing the icon to change the icon, you have to create a custom shortcut. If you are insinuating that it's different in the paid version of ADW, then that would be illogical on ADWs part. Same goes for long pressing an icon on the home screen to un install the app directly. ADW paid has dock swipes? Not referring to dock pages, I'm talking about doing an upward swiping motion on an app in the dock to achieve another function. Also, you can only add one app at a time in the home screen whereas in nova you can add multiple apps on the home screen at the same time (saves a lot of time, trust me). And for me, I don't like the scrolling speed in ADWs app drawer but I guess that's rather subjective. It's good to see that ADW can backup and restore widgets though...

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I know you can change icons in ADW but it's a pain when compared to nova or apex. Instead of long pressing the icon to change the icon, you have to create a custom shortcut. If you are insinuating that it's different in the paid version of ADW, then that would be illogical on ADWs part. Same goes for long pressing an icon on the home screen to un install the app directly. ADW paid has dock swipes? Not referring to dock pages, I'm talking about doing an upward swiping motion on an app in the dock to achieve another function. Also, you can only add one app at a time in the home screen whereas in nova you can add multiple apps on the home screen at the same time (saves a lot of time, trust me). And for me, I don't like the scrolling speed in ADWs app drawer but I guess that's rather subjective. It's good to see that ADW can backup and restore widgets though...

I think they call the swipes "gesture controls". And I agree regarding the adding multiple apps. Apex also doesn't do this which is a pain. Nova rules in my opinion. Even Go Launcher is great if it wasn't such a memory hog.

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I think they call the swipes "gesture controls". And I agree regarding the adding multiple apps. Apex also doesn't do this which is a pain. Nova rules in my opinion. Even Go Launcher is great if it wasn't such a memory hog.

Yeah just noticed that but it appears you get one 'swipe action' for the entire dock whereas with nova you can do different swipes for each app on the dock... Yeah apex needs to allow for adding multiple apps on the home screen and needs backup/restore feature similar to nova. Then they would be very even.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Yeah just noticed that but it appears you get one 'swipe action' for the entire dock whereas with nova you can do different swipes for each app on the dock... Yeah apex needs to allow for adding multiple apps on the home screen and needs backup/restore feature similar to nova. Then they would be very even.

I think I saw a backup option in Apex but haven't tried it. One other thing I love about Nova is that when you speed up the transitions it just flies. Almost instantaneous response on my Nexus 4.

Basscase

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site

Double tap on any icon and you can change it, resize, manage the app (uninstall and otherwise), and share the app. And yep, you can set a gesture for the dock. And multiple gestures on a single screen.

Although you got me in the adding multiple apps to a homescreen at a time.

reraze3a.jpg

esazenu4.jpg

Also, I really love the widget integration.
ara6ynuq.jpg

3e6utuga.jpg

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Double tap on any icon and you can change it, resize, manage the app (uninstall and otherwise), and share the app. And yep, you can set a gesture for the dock. And multiple gestures on a single screen.

Although you got me in the adding multiple apps to a homescreen at a time.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/05/reraze3a.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/05/esazenu4.jpg

Also, I really love the widget integration.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/05/ara6ynuq.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/05/3e6utuga.jpg

Did not know about the double tap thing.... Thanks for informing. Nova still wins in the dock gesture department because you can set each app in the dock to perform a different function as opposed to one gesture for the entire dock like ADW... So for this example, if I swipe up on air droid in my dock, my phone will automatically sync with my itunes library, wirelessly. Pretty cool stuff.

hebu3yvu.jpg

I also like ADWs widget menu that you showed. Is there a way to change the scrolling speed in the app drawer?

Novas gesture functions are more detailed as well having clockwise and counterclockwise gestures and including page jumpers

uploadfromtaptalk1357365309473.jpg

Another thing would be allowing no background image for folders. Not a huge deal but it does matter when themeing sometimes

uploadfromtaptalk1357365474292.jpg

One thing I gotta give credit to ADW would be it's ability to change the background color to any color you want. Nova doesn't have this. uploadfromtaptalk1357365556917.jpg

More things that nova can do that ADW can't is the overlap when placing (different than just widget overlap when resizing). What this allows you to do is essentially place icons over widgets (useful feature for some themes)
uploadfromtaptalk1357366023579.jpg

Also nova can show unread badge counts for missed calls, unread texts, emails, etc. Didn't see this in ADW
uploadfromtaptalk1357366086435.jpg

With nova you can also place widgets on the dock itself, which can be useful sometimes
uploadfromtaptalk1357366176066.jpg

Last edited:

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
After learning about the double tap thing (very useful btw), I think i'm going to make a theme on ADW and toggle between it, Nova and Apex... Nova is still my fav though

Basscase

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Nova still wins in the dock gesture department because you can set each app in the dock to perform a different function as opposed to one gesture for the entire dock like ADW... So for this example, if I swipe up on air droid in my dock, my phone will automatically sync with my itunes library, wirelessly. Pretty cool stuff.
That is very cool! I can see some awesome uses for that!

I also like ADWs widget menu that you showed. Is there a way to change the scrolling speed in the app drawer?
Not really, but you can change the page transition. Maybe that will help. I have no issues with the speed. There are some pretty cool drawer opening effects too.

Another thing would be allowing no background image for folders. Not a huge deal but it does matter when themeing sometimes
ADW has a few different folder styles. But you're right the no background option would be nice.

More things that nova can do that ADW can't is the overlap when placing (different than just widget overlap when resizing). What this allows you to do is essentially place icons over widgets (useful feature for some themes)
Interesting. That could be useful.

Also nova can show unread badge counts for missed calls, unread texts, emails, etc. Didn't see this in ADW
I want to say ADW has this. I could be wrong though.

With nova you can also place widgets on the dock itself, which can be useful sometimes
Now this I've never heard of. Sounds cool.

This is exactly the discussion I was looking for! Thanks! I might just have to give nova a try.

Edit:
Bought Nova Prime. :D

Edit #2:
It gave me an error when I tried to import my ADW settings. I'll have to play with it when I get a chance.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995