encrypted text file cross platform

donec

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I am looking for a way to keep an encrypted text file in my dropbox account that can be opened in Windows 7, Linux Mint and Android. Any ideas?

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

donec

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I found an app with a software counter part that work together using Java called Encrypted Notes/enotes and it works fine for my purposes except in android it will not work from dropbox. You have to export the file from dropbox for the app to open it. I think though that is more something to do with android than the app. Because Encrypted Notes/enotes is java it works with Win7, Linux and Android.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I found an app with a software counter part that work together using Java called Encrypted Notes/enotes and it works fine for my purposes except in android it will not work from dropbox. You have to export the file from dropbox for the app to open it. I think though that is more something to do with android than the app. Because Encrypted Notes/enotes is java it works with Win7, Linux and Android.
Its more to do with dropbox app rather than Android. dropbox is cloud storage so its expected.

donec

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Its more to do with dropbox app rather than Android. dropbox is cloud storage so its expected.
What makes me believe it has to do with Android is in both Linux and Win7 it works fine but Android it requires the file to be exported. Yet for OfficeSuite and xls files Android works fine. The only difference is the file for Encrypted Notes/enotes is encrypted. Of course I guess it could be a problem with the Encrypted Notes/enotes app that is different than the programs for Linux and Win7.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
What makes me believe it has to do with Android is in both Linux and Win7 it works fine but Android it requires the file to be exported. Yet for OfficeSuite and xls files Android works fine. The only difference is the file for Encrypted Notes/enotes is encrypted. Of course I guess it could be a problem with the Encrypted Notes/enotes app that is different than the programs for Linux and Win7.

a PC with 1TB HDD is different than a mobile phone with about 16 gb memory. you are comparing apples and oranges. its a wrong comparison.

its a mobile phone and mobile phones are not meant to be high end compared to PC. There is no OS out there which Android can do right now. ie, dropbox question

iOS? Wp8? Blackberry? Symbian? none can do what you are doing(your dropbox question) in your Android, not even close.

donec

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
a PC with 1TB HDD is different than a mobile phone with about 16 gb memory. you are comparing apples and oranges. its a wrong comparison.
I'm not comparing them. But they can both do the same functions within their limits.

its a mobile phone and mobile phones are not meant to be high end compared to PC. There is no OS out there which Android can do right now. ie, dropbox question
Phones are high end compared to any other computing device but do have limitations. Android already opens files in dropbox and saves files to dropbox using OfficeSuite Pro with an xls file. Which is much more complex than a simple text file. The difference is the text file is encrypted, but that should not matter to Android or dropbox.

iOS? Wp8? Blackberry? Symbian? none can do what you are doing(your dropbox question) in your Android, not even close.
Android can do it and does. Also dropbox also works with Android and OfficeSuite so it is not a dropbox problem.

BTW I have been into computers since 1974, I have built computers repaired computers and taught computers. So I know there is a difference in a phone and a desktop/laptop.

The problem is probably in the app it's self but could be in the handling requirements of Android for it's ability to read a file in order to know what to do with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alfatv