Activation on AT&T - anyone do it in the last 10 days?

jasondg116

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Anyone know if AT&T has added the Nexus 4 to its systems yet? In other words, will they be able to activate my device in-store without any issue, or will I still need to use a fake IMEI?

Trying to save myself a trip if possible!

brett_f

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
I activated mine in the store yesterday. The rep entered my Nexus 4 IMEI, which wasn't recognized. He chose an option called "customer provided device" and then he switched my data plan from the unlimited iPhone 3G plan to "Unlimited for Smartphone Personal HSPA+". I watched to make sure he picked the plan that was HSPA+ and Unlimited.

My AT&T account now shows this for data:

"Data Unlimited SmartPhone Personal"
"Data Plan for SmartPhones. Unlimited domestic data usage. Only available for upgrades. Requires customers to be on a "Gold List" Data Unlimited SmartPhone Plan prior to upgrade to 4G device. "

I deleted the wap.cingular APN and created the "phone" APN listed here and on XDA and rebooted the phone.

I have run the Speedtest app several times to verify my speeds, and depending on the area I'm in I tend to get 3Mbps to 8 Mbps down. I have seen it get close to 10 as well. That being said, I haven't had a chance to test it very much in different areas, but everything seems to be working just fine.

Hope this helps.

Daria Bentley

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Just went to ATT store on 1/2/13-no problem-put in sim card, moved contacts from old phone and my gmail acct-some duplicates or unwanted contacts - so have to spend some time cleaning up contacts-other than that no issues and since Nexus 4 is not their phone you r not under contract. good luck!

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
On AT&T now and using a 4G LTE plan with APN as pta settings. Getting 5 to 12 down depending on my location.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

XxTacticS

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I switched from and iPhone 4S and I just took the sim card out and put in my Nexus 4. It seems to work, I can make phone calls and stuff. Do I need to go into a AT&T store and have them set it up or do something with the phone?

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
No you don't need to go in because they won't help you anyway since its not in their systems.

red5ive1

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
No you don't need to go in because they won't help you anyway since its not in their systems.

I went into an AT&T store to get my mobile share plan updated from an iPhone 4s plan to a 4G plan so that I could get HSPA+ data speeds. In doing so, I gave him my IMEI number and he entered in and it selected the correct data plan. He didn't say anything other than 'You're all set", so whatever he did worked. I rebooted and did a speedtest and my speeds went from 4.30Mbps to 10.14Mbps. For kicks, I downloaded speednet on an iPhone 5 in the store and ran it and it go 10.30Mbps. Thought that was interesting that the HSPA+ and LTE speeds were identical.

That said, I don't know if the AT&T rep I dealt with just knows what he's doing and I got lucky or if the phone was added to the system.

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I went into an AT&T store to get my mobile share plan updated from an iPhone 4s plan to a 4G plan so that I could get HSPA+ data speeds. In doing so, I gave him my IMEI number and he entered in and it selected the correct data plan. He didn't say anything other than 'You're all set", so whatever he did worked. I rebooted and did a speedtest and my speeds went from 4.30Mbps to 10.14Mbps. For kicks, I downloaded speednet on an iPhone 5 in the store and ran it and it go 10.30Mbps. Thought that was interesting that the HSPA+ and LTE speeds were identical.

That said, I don't know if the AT&T rep I dealt with just knows what he's doing and I got lucky or if the phone was added to the system.

I'll have to check on that then, thank you for the information. Last time I checked in with AT&T they told me the IMEI didn't come up in their systems so I was out of luck and couldn't get the right plan. I'm not getting terrible AT&T speeds with my current set up though.

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
What does your AT&T account say you have for a data plan? Just called into AT&T and got the IMEI added but was switched back to datapro 3GB for smartphone. Getting decent speeds of 4-6 Mbps down and 1.5 Mbps up.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
My colleague and I went on our lunch hour to switch his DATA plan from Unlimited 3G to Unlimited 4(Faux)G.

The at&t employee was familiar with the N4 after showing it off to his colleagues, he entered the IMEI, selected Customer Provided Device and than selected the 4G Smartphone Unlimited Plan.

My colleague went from 4Mbps to 8Mbps and his account reflected Smartphone Unlimited Plan (and statement about the Gold List referenced earlier)

Dan

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz