LG Complaints

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
easy. its called a pre-order. they should've started it the day after having a real press event for it (not releasing a picture and a statement, i mean a real event, which should have been done in CA). it would at least give a general picture of demand.

They had a full press conference scheduled. You can't fault them for canceling under the circumstances, can you?

Even if they did prep orders the next day, that would still have only given them three or do weeks lead time. At that point, the orders were already placed and production scheduled well into the future.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I agree that they had a fault in the beginning but even though google kept saying PUSH THE AMOUNT TO BUILD, they still only created 400,000. iPhone 5 produced 5 million in just the first week and google can't even get half a million in a month and a half? That's ridiculous.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I agree that they had a fault in the beginning but even though google kept saying PUSH THE AMOUNT TO BUILD, they still only created 400,000. iPhone 5 produced 5 million in just the first week and google can't even get half a million in a month and a half? That's ridiculous.
you can't compare the two. iPhone sales are in a much different league. Nexus isn't even advertised. So it's a different game right from the beginning. If this was the Samsung GS4 I would agree with everyone but not for this phone.

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
They had a full press conference scheduled. You can't fault them for canceling under the circumstances, can you?

Even if they did prep orders the next day, that would still have only given them three or do weeks lead time. At that point, the orders were already placed and production scheduled well into the future.

they shouldn't have done in NYC in the first place. Hurricanes have warnings in advance... and what they could have done is reschedule it to a different location (CA) after they canceled it. If they took pre orders immediately after announcing it, most of them would be in the first (and/or 2nd) week I would presume. this would give a general picture of demand. they could even schedule the actual launch a little later, just so they could have ample time to place the right amount of orders and get a device out to everyone that wants it. Im willing to bet that they could have sold many more, IF they had more available. People are impatient, and with so many good alternatives (and good deals) they will just spring for something else.

- - - Updated - - -

Nexus isn't even advertised

i see nexus ads on TV and youtube all the time... its kind of funny because I imagine someone who sees the ad and goes "Cool!, I want one!", then they go online see its sold out and are left thinking "Wtf?" lol

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
i see nexus ads on TV and youtube all the time... its kind of funny because I imagine someone who sees the ad and goes "Cool!, I want one!", then they go online see its sold out and are left thinking "Wtf?" lol
Well considering Google owns YouTube that is a given. The TV ads have been minor compared to other companies like Samsung. And a lot of that has also be focused on the N7.

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
you can't compare the two. iPhone sales are in a much different league. Nexus isn't even advertised. So it's a different game right from the beginning. If this was the Samsung GS4 I would agree with everyone but not for this phone.

I know but the production is still really small. Were talking about google here dude.

Sent from my Nexus 4

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
I know but the production is still really small. Were talking about google here dude.

Sent from my Nexus 4

You're correct, we are talking about Google, a company that 1) does not produce its own hardware (i.e. Samsung, Apple), and 2) is not in the business of creating mobile phones.

Comparably to the rest of Google's profits, the Nexus line is next to irrelevant from a financial standpoint. The Nexus devices are in no way created to be top sellers.

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
You're correct, we are talking about Google, a company that 1) does not produce its own hardware (i.e. Samsung, Apple), and 2) is not in the business of creating mobile phones.

Comparably to the rest of Google's profits, the Nexus line is next to irrelevant from a financial standpoint. The Nexus devices are in no way created to be top sellers.

A search engine that has created a car that drives itself and a life augmented glasses.
And hey, they can just google it.

Sent from my Nexus 4

saeufer

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

And there's no shortage of speculation that Google isn't even making any real profit on them, just using them to get press for Android and attract users to their other services. Why would they be in a hurry to sell devices that aren't turning a profit? Waiting a month for a phone that was a pain to order sucks, but let's be realistic here--a comparable phone (e.g. an unlocked SGS3 or iPhone 5) through any other channel would've cost at least a couple hundred dollars more.

Plus, as others have pointed out, the GNex was a very poor seller, especially in its GSM form. I see GNex 'in the wild' often enough, but every one where I've seen the back or known the user has been the CDMA version, which was sold by the carriers, not Google. I probably see one GNex per 75-100 iPhones or SGS2/3. GSM GNex are so rare that Google would've had to be insane to think the N4 would be as hot an item as it is. The US is far and away the largest market, and Americans just don't buy cellphones (except low-end prepaid ones) outright. Well, except for N4s, I guess.

taj7575

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry, but although I don't like LG either, this is also Google's fault.

LG is nothing more than the manufacturer of the devices. Google, since being the sellers, dictated their play store price and how many devices LG should make for them.

Sure LG is in the fault of not supplying fast enough, but this same issue happened with the Nexus 7, and that really came down to Google not forecasting the play store demand well enough.

Google just seems to have a hard time understanding how to forecast demand for their products. It's like they're surprised that their low-cost and quality hardware is popular.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry, but although I don't like LG either, this is also Google's fault.

LG is nothing more than the manufacturer of the devices. Google, since being the sellers, dictated their play store price and how many devices LG should make for them.

Sure LG is in the fault of not supplying fast enough, but this same issue happened with the Nexus 7, and that really came down to Google not forecasting the play store demand well enough.

Google just seems to have a hard time understanding how to forecast demand for their products. It's like they're surprised that their low-cost and quality hardware is popular.
I would assume releasing products globally could be difficult as 250,000 one way or the other could be a significant error.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae