Apex or nova? Possibly other launchers?

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I am trying a new layout and am wondering how to get a different wallpaper for each screen. I swear I've seen the setting for it but I can't find it in Nova or Apex.

Anyone know how to do this?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

GB_Meneses

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
I am trying a new layout and am wondering how to get a different wallpaper for each screen. I swear I've seen the setting for it but I can't find it in Nova or Apex.

I would love to know as well. Someone reply quick!
In regards to the subject of the thread, I decided to go with Apex. I have been using it for a while and I already purchased the full version when I had my Samsung Galaxy Nexus. However, I might have to try Nova sooner or later as well. Thanks for the replies guys

Michael Rodgers

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to start using Nova as well, but I've delayed it because I've already become so habituated to starting Google Now by sliding up from the home button. Does anyone know how to launch Google Now with Nova? And can you set it to copy the stock approach?

m3lover1

Trusted Member
May 4, 2010
Visit site

I think you need a 3rd party app for it. Download multipicture live wallpaper from app store. I used that for a while

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to start using Nova as well, but I've delayed it because I've already become so habituated to starting Google Now by sliding up from the home button. Does anyone know how to launch Google Now with Nova? And can you set it to copy the stock approach?
you can still just hold down the home button then slide up to select Google Now. This stays the same in Apex and Nova

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I think you need a 3rd party app for it. Download multipicture live wallpaper from app store. I used that for a while
I tried this app but I couldn't get it to work. I'm also having trouble changing my lock screen image to something different. That app is supposed to work for that too but it is not working.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

You don't have to do anything special , that gesture works normally with Nova as well.

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site

Swiping up from the home button launches Google Now in both Nova and Apex. For the record, they seem very similar to me (at least the free versions). I haven't decided which to use for full app, Apex or Nova.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Swiping up from the home button launches Google Now in both Nova and Apex. For the record, they seem very similar to me (at least the free versions). I haven't decided which to use for full app, Apex or Nova.
The biggest thing for me is Nova allows multiple app selection and has better backup.

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Which is a better launchers for the N4? Apex or Nova? I already have the full paid version of Apex but wanted to know if Nova was worth another 4 bucks. Or maybe other launchers anyone might like on the N4?

they are almost exactly the same, i just find nova to be a little more fluid and its backup/restore feature is better than apex's.

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I tried this app but I couldn't get it to work. I'm also having trouble changing my lock screen image to something different. That app is supposed to work for that too but it is not working.

did you see that video i link'd in the other thread?

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I can't guarantee that it sucks more battery but I just noticed that it got better after I uninstalled it. Could be totally unrelated. Both launchers are good but, there are a couple of things I like better about Nova.

1. You can multi select icons when adding to your screens.

2. You can have multiple backups.

There is another thread where these things were discussed in more detail. Nova Launcher on Nexus 4 - Any users? - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

you "can" do multiple backups with apex, it just takes a bit of extra work. you still can't restore widgets though. i discussed it here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-4/225815-nexus-4-screenshots-share-them-here-20.html

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. How does that work in practice?

Edit: from reading the other thread you linked looks like the two significant differences between Apex and Nova are the multi-select for icons and more than one backup (just one backup for Apex). Also looks like the ADW is more feature rich than both when it comes to actual customization options.

ADW is not more feature rich, where did you get that? Read the thread I linked above on how to do multiple backups with apex.

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Personally I choose Nova Prime but only because it's the sole Launcher I've found that supports GLOBAL Badge Notification (SMS, GMail, Calls aren't enough). Here's how--> http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=199709
If not for that feature, it'd be a toss-up between Nova & Apex.

Also works independently if you use WidgetLocker as your Lockscreen & want a different Launcher.

apex has this feature too

Edit: it has it for SMS, Gmail, Calls and an option for "External notifiers" (for other applications, idk which though)

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
apex has this feature too

Edit: it has it for SMS, Gmail, Calls and an option for "External notifiers" (for other applications, idk which though)

Doesn't actually work currently though.
The option has been there almost 6mos and still isn't working.
I've contacted the Dev & all I get as a reply is they point me to a poll I need to vote on to get Global Badge Notifications as a feature before they actually work on making it functional- No thanks.

It currently already works with Nova so that's the Launcher I use.

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't actually work currently though.
The option has been there almost 6mos and still isn't working.
I've contacted the Dev & all I get as a reply is they point me to a poll I need to vote on to get Global Badge Notifications as a feature before they actually work on making it functional- No thanks.

It currently already works with Nova so that's the Launcher I use.

i see. thanks for informing. i contacted apex dev about adding a widget restore feature and got pointed to that poll as well.