Problem moving from Wireless to Data Network

Gadzooky

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi all. First post here and I couldn't find a similar thread - I apologize if this has already been mentioned. I was wondering if others are experiencing (and have found a solution to) a problem I have with my N4. Every morning (and I mean every morning) when I leave the house to travel to work and my phone drops out wireless range of my network it does not pick up my mobile network, the only way to circumvent this is to reboot my phone. Upon reboot the data link connects immediately and there is an alert box stating that there had been a problem and they're (google I assume) looking into it.

It's incredibly frustrating. This only seems to happen when I leave my home, when I drop out of the wireless network at the office the phone picks up the data network no problem. :-X

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried "forgetting" your home wi-fi connection and then recreating it?

That's the only thought that comes to mind right now...

[edit]

Just out of curiosity, what security type are you using on your home wi-fi connection?

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Hi all. First post here and I couldn't find a similar thread - I apologize if this has already been mentioned. I was wondering if others are experiencing (and have found a solution to) a problem I have with my N4. Every morning (and I mean every morning) when I leave the house to travel to work and my phone drops out wireless range of my network it does not pick up my mobile network, the only way to circumvent this is to reboot my phone. Upon reboot the data link connects immediately and there is an alert box stating that there had been a problem and they're (google I assume) looking into it.

It's incredibly frustrating. This only seems to happen when I leave my home, when I drop out of the wireless network at the office the phone picks up the data network no problem. :-X

What network/provider are you on? I had a similar problem at the start with T-Mobile, but I fixed it by resetting my APN back to default and haven't had any problems since.

cyclejim

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
I am having what I think is the same problem, but I will be creating a new post because I am also having some other issues as well.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
My home network is WPA2 and I live in Switzerland, my phone carrier is Sunrise.

As an experiment, try switching your router's encryption to something else and see if it makes a difference. Have you had this problem elsewhere? Can you go into a place with public wi-fi, for example, and leave it without any problems?

Gadzooky

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
As an experiment, try switching your router's encryption to something else and see if it makes a difference. Have you had this problem elsewhere? Can you go into a place with public wi-fi, for example, and leave it without any problems?

Yeah, the office w/network is WPA2 also but I've no problems connecting to my mobile data network once I leave the wireless network in the office.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, the office w/network is WPA2 also but I've no problems connecting to my mobile data network once I leave the wireless network in the office.

It could be something specific to your home router then. I have heard of people having problems with some routers and the N4. Usually it's with simply connecting rather than a problem with the hand-off to the mobile network, so your case is a little odd. You could try borrowing a friend's router and testing it at your home to see if you have the same hand-off problem. It's also possible there is a weird tower near your home that's causing the issue, and your router has nothing to do with it.

Coyote I'm having this problem too. I imagine on prepaid Tmobile service in phx. Could you post your apn, settings?

My APN settings are totally stock, but here they are:

Name: T-Mobile US
APN: epc.tmobile.com
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not set
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
MMS proxy: Not set
MMS port: Not set
MCC: 310
MNC: 260
Authentication type: Not set
APN type: default, supl, mms
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
Bearer: Unspecified

Previously, when I was having problems I had a few extra things under APN type and had the protocol set to IPv4/IPv6. After using the reset command from the APN screen (not the edit settings screen) the above is what I got and my problems disappeared.