Hairline scratches on the rear

Liam Gibson

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I got my Nexus 4 from Virgin media yesterday and I've notice two scratches on the rear today, I've only used it for about an hour give or take, and I've baby'd it the rest, yet already I have these two scratches, one of them just under the NEXUS logo, the other just under the "LG". I realize it doesn't affect the device at all but it's quite annoying, I'm unsure whether they came with the device or not, in hindsight I should have given it a once over as soon as I took it out of the box, but it hasn't even touched a hard surface yet.

Anyone else have the same issue? I've heard of the rear glass actually cracking which is worrysome, but hairline/scratches appearing out of thin air I've not read about.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Liam Gibson

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Maybe you can get a protective skin or a case?

I've ordered a pack of cheap rear screen protectors for it and that bumper case that people keep saying falls apart all the time, bumperline or something, should give me some peace of mind, I'm certain the phone came with these two scratches though, I've photographed them:

1M5vt

1M5xO

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
that's a pretty good camera (My camera can't do that close without bluring up >.>) well anyways the sand in your pocket can cut your phone but it usually doesn't look like a hairline scratch. It is odd for your phone to have that though if you didn't cause it.

Richard46

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I've had my N4 for about 3 weeks now and I had gotten a few scratches on the top left corner on the back. I had had left it at home most of the time because I didn't have service on it yet. I had no I dea how they had gotten on there. Best thing you could do is just get a screen protector or a case, or both for that matter.

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I bought mine used and it had two hairline scratches o the it. Luckily you can o ly see them from certain angles and I've learned not to stress over them.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Liam Gibson

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
You invested in a new product and you received a damaged one, why wouldn't you have already requested a replacement?

I've contacted Virgin Media now but I doubt they'll replace it over a couple of hairline scratches but, worth a try, I really enjoy the look of the back so I don't really want to go with a full case, but some have suggested a rear screen protector and a bumper case, this should provide adequite protection so we will see, there really aren't many Nexus 4 case options right now which is a shame, but this should do for now, and if I can't get a replacement the screen protector should hide both scratches!

Thankyou everyone whom has replied, much appreciated.

Liam Gibson

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I have a few on the rear, oh well. Bound to happen. Still looks great!

After looking around the iPhone 4/4s with the glass rear also suffers this problem, it seems that the front glass uses Gorilla glass 2, but I doubt the back glass is the same, or if it is, it's much less resilient to scratches, so you can coddle is as much as you'd want but small scratches will most likely still appear. I suppose you just have to live with it or use a rear protector.

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I've had my Nexus 4 since release. Naked! I don't have a single scratch, mark, ding, dent, scuff or otherwise on it. It's in factory new, mint condition.

This phone is a little more resilient than people are giving it credit for... But with that said any speck of sand will scratch any glass. Period. Always lay your phone on a clean surface or clean cloth.

I always wipe my hand over a surface before laying my naked phone down on it. Any particles of sand/dirt is either wiped away by my hand or I feel it and don't lay my phone down on that spot, lol.

It's so simple. I do it so often that I don't even think about it. It's ingrained in me and takes a split second.

I also turn my pocket inside out and check for sand/lint every so often. And I turn out my pockets in the wash when I do laundry to wash away any sand that might be in there. Just common sense. Something that's so simple and takes a split second to do...

Anyway, glad the store is replacing it for you. I highly suggest you keep the factory screen protectors on until you receive the other ones and the bumper.

Good luck! :)

Sent from my Nexus 4

Liam Gibson

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I've had my Nexus 4 since release. Naked! I don't have a single scratch, mark, ding, dent, scuff or otherwise on it. It's in factory new, mint condition.

This phone is a little more resilient than people are giving it credit for... But with that said any speck of sand will scratch any glass. Period. Always lay your phone on a clean surface or clean cloth.

I always wipe my hand over a surface before laying my naked phone down on it. Any particles of sand/dirt is either wiped away by my hand or I feel it and don't lay my phone down on that spot, lol.

It's so simple. I do it so often that I don't even think about it. It's ingrained in me and takes a split second.

I also turn my pocket inside out and check for sand/lint every so often. And I turn out my pockets in the wash when I do laundry to wash away any sand that might be in there. Just common sense. Something that's so simple and takes a split second to do...

Anyway, glad the store is replacing it for you. I highly suggest you keep the factory screen protectors on until you receive the other ones and the bumper.

Good luck! :)

Sent from my Nexus 4

I'll definitely keep the rear protector it comes with on until I get the screen protectors. The front glass though uses Gorilla glass 2 so is much more resilient to scratches, I won't bother with a front protector.

DogPsyche

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Yeah have to say that the back glass isn't as scratch resistant as the front. It's sad to have to cover such a beautiful surface but you have to if you don't want it scratched.

Sent from my lovely Nexus 7

Go Ogle

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Naked on the front. One hairline scratch and one ding in 7 weeks. Rearth case on back because too many hairlines on the back. Oh well. I love it off but can't stand to see the hairlines

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
So far, so good. I've had it for almost two months and no nicks or scratches. I'm using a combination of the OEM bumpers and a Timbuk2 sleeve I've had for six months or so. No skins or screen protectors, but I baby this thing to an almost nauseating extent. When it isn't in my hand or on my wireless charger, it is in the sleeve. Period. When I show someone something on the phone and they reach for it, I tell them to look with their eyes, not with their hands.

It kind of makes me long for the days of the Moto Razor. I treated that phone like a doggy chew toy and it just kept going.

mr.rickeyk

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I got my N4 not even a week a go and have been so careful with it until I receive my screen protector and case from Amazon tomorrow. I pulled it out of my pocket yesterday to show someone at work and OMG I have a tiny hairline cracks bout 1/2 inch long starting from the middle edge going towards the center. You know what happens to a hairline cracks, they continue to run. It makes me mad they used so a poorly made glass back. I'm hoping my Zagg protector will stop the run

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I got my N4 not even a week a go and have been so careful with it until I receive my screen protector and case from Amazon tomorrow. I pulled it out of my pocket yesterday to show someone at work and OMG I have a tiny hairline cracks bout 1/2 inch long starting from the middle edge going towards the center. You know what happens to a hairline cracks, they continue to run. It makes me mad they used so a poorly made glass back. I'm hoping my Zagg protector will stop the run

I've had mine for almost two months now. Naked except for the film on the back that the phone shipped with. Had a case on it for maybe two days before I took it off because I hated how it made the phone look and feel. If my Nexus isn't in my pocket, it's on a flat surface (usually on paper or something) away from edges, or in my car dock. Not a scratch on it, except for some very tiny hairline ones on the top "chrome" bezel.

Disappointing that yours is cracked, but it didn't magically happen because it was poorly made. Some undue stress was placed on your phone, likely when it was in your pocket. Hopefully your back protector will help keep the crack from growing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae