Rumor that Nexus 5 will be a 'phablet'

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
This article is passing along rumors from a Korean forum that the Nexus 5 will be a phablet:

The Nexus 5, that will be the 5th smartphone in the series, is rumoured to make an entrance into the phablet category sporting a 5-inch full-HD (1920 x 1080) display translating into a pixel density of 440ppi. Seems like an obvious choice (only if rumours are to be believed), considering most other smartphones will feature a high-end display.

Furthermore, the Nexus 5 apparently boasts the all-new NVIDIA Tegra 4 processor with 2GB of RAM, 8/16GB of internal storage, a 13-megapixel auto-focus rear camera with LED flash and a 3-megapixel front-facing camera.

Not just that, the smartphone's rumoured pricing indicates that the 8GB model will retail for $299 (Ring-a-bell?) Well, the current [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]N[/FONT]​[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]exus 4[/FONT] (SOLD OUT on the Google Play store) is priced ditto as the Nexus 5.

With all the other "LG stopping production" rumors and such floating around I'm not sure how believable it all is, but it is an interesting idea...

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Not my style at all. Not a fan of the phablet trend. The N4 is pretty much the max size for me to comfortably carry around. Anything bigger and I would need a purse to store it in. :confused:

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I agree. The present size is perfect for me. If this were to be true then our nexus 4's could become rare collector's items for those people who don't want a phablet-sized nexus! :-D

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
We're close to a year away from the N5. At this point, you could say the N5 is rumored to be a Chrome laptop. Not much sense in fretting (or even wanting) any rumored device. Just enjoy the one you're with!

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
The Note/2 is a fairly well selling niche "phablet" device by all means with a 5.5" screen because it also has a large bezel. It looks and feels big in my rather large hands and it feels rather ridiculous for me to put up to my ear and use as a phone. The DNA is 5" and didn't feel any different than my gnex. It's still comfortable to use as a phone. I understand that for someone who thought 4.3" was their maximum size for their phone a 5" phone might seem too much, but the next round of flagship phones will all have 1080p 5" displays BUT with less bezel to remain in that general 4.3-4.8" form factor we've all become comfortable with. Here's a 5" DNA next to a N4 for comparison. Negligible to most.

snap dna.jpgsnapGN2.jpg

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I think its too soon for these rumors. Well anyways the specs are going to be better since ces announcements.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't mind a 5.0inch but anything (even 0.01) bigger is too much.
4.99 would be ideal as I'd still be able to say "At least it's not a 5inch screen!"

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't mind a 5.0inch but anything (even 0.01) bigger is too much.
4.99 would be ideal as I'd still be able to say "At least it's not a 5inch screen!"

Can you even use a screen that big in one hand or do you have trouble. I'm having a bit with this nexus 4 screen even though some is taken by the screen buttons so more like 4.6.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Can you even use a screen that big in one hand or do you have trouble.

I can't palm the Note 2 but the N4 & Droid DNA are fine.
That said, I think it'd be easier if it had better grip on the outer edges - that's where the ring finger on my right hand often slips when using that hand to type with my thumb.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
The Note/2 is a fairly well selling niche "phablet" device by all means with a 5.5" screen because it also has a large bezel. It looks and feels big in my rather large hands and it feels rather ridiculous for me to put up to my ear and use as a phone. The DNA is 5" and didn't feel any different than my gnex. It's still comfortable to use as a phone. I understand that for someone who thought 4.3" was their maximum size for their phone a 5" phone might seem too much, but the next round of flagship phones will all have 1080p 5" displays BUT with less bezel to remain in that general 4.3-4.8" form factor we've all become comfortable with. Here's a 5" DNA next to a N4 for comparison. Negligible to most.

Likewise. The Note 2 just seems freakishly large, even though I'm able to hold it easily. Before I picked up a Nexus I was considering a Note 2 because I really liked everything I had read about it, and the pics made it seem not that bad (like yours). But then I saw it in person and fiddled with it, and I just could not shake the truth that I was holding this massive slab of electronics in my hand that I would have to hold up to my face at some point. I just couldn't do it, and decided to go with the N4. The Note 2 is a nice device and has its fans, but for me at least the photos did not tell the whole story.

As for a Nexus phablet, I'm not even going to consider any rumors about the device until the fall at the earliest. Anything before that is pure conjecture.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
^^Word. I guess my major point was that the next Nexus will almost certainly have a 5" 1080p display, as will "every" flagship device in 2013/beyond, but it will NOT be a "phablet" like the GN2. It will have the same familiar form factor of the GNex, N4, GS3, etc. with a smaller bezel and larger display. Me gusta.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Likewise. The Note 2 just seems freakishly large, even though I'm able to hold it easily. Before I picked up a Nexus I was considering a Note 2 because I really liked everything I had read about it, and the pics made it seem not that bad (like yours). But then I saw it in person and fiddled with it, and I just could not shake the truth that I was holding this massive slab of electronics in my hand that I would have to hold up to my face at some point. I just couldn't do it, and decided to go with the N4. The Note 2 is a nice device and has its fans, but for me at least the photos did not tell the whole story.

As for a Nexus phablet, I'm not even going to consider any rumors about the device until the fall at the earliest. Anything before that is pure conjecture.

For the record, I posted the GN2 vs N4 above because I thought it showed how freakishly large the GN2 is...it's a "phablet". The N4 isn't a small phone lol. The DNA is just a tiny bit larger than the N4 even with a 5" screen. It still looks/feels like phone. Judging by CES and the rumor mill that is what you should expect for the next round of flagships. I wouldn't be surprised to see the GN3 has a 6" screen with the same phablet form factor as the GN2 because of a reduced bezel.

CrazCruz

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
For me it makes no longer sense. We can barely or non see the difference between the screens we have now and the ones we had a few months ago.
Hardware is where I would like to see real improvement

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Batteries, ever will it be batteries.

GN2 already has that covered with a 3100mah battery. Mines last a very long time. I don't worry about the battery running down anymore. With a big phone comes a big battery.

MrVivekB

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I still think the N4 is a unicorn and none of you really have one. How else to explain why it's always unavailable to order when I finally contemplate it...

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

KwietStorm

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I hate this my screen is bigger than your screen trend. I've watched Android grow and grow, literally, and I remember when 4.3 was large. That ended up being comfortable, and my Nexus 4 is even very comfortable in my hand, but these 5 inch phones can go to hell. It would be one thing if these manufacturers shrunk the bezel, but even still, screen size is not a necessary focal point to me. Its 2013 and we're still looking behind every crevice to find where the battery juice went. I think the battery is of the utmost importance with any mobile device, and by "improving" these other aspects of the hardware, I feel they're ignoring more important ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463