Rumor that Nexus 5 will be a 'phablet'

CrazCruz

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I still think the N4 is a unicorn and none of you really have one. How else to explain why it's always unavailable to order when I finally contemplate it...

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
I don't think is necessary to sign with "Sent from my nexus 4..."

Batteries, ever will it be batteries.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
Yes, I tried to include batteries and performance by saying software, not hardware.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
^^Word. I guess my major point was that the next Nexus will almost certainly have a 5" 1080p display, as will "every" flagship device in 2013/beyond, but it will NOT be a "phablet" like the GN2. It will have the same familiar form factor of the GNex, N4, GS3, etc. with a smaller bezel and larger display. Me gusta.

This

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

KwietStorm

May 14, 2010
Visit site
GN2 already has that covered with a 3100mah battery. Mines last a very long time. I don't worry about the battery running down anymore. With a big phone comes a big battery.

Putting a larger capacity battery in a device doesn't solve the issue of battery optimization and/or improvement. Actually, the Note II is already large, so it's not surprising to have a larger battery by default.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
^^Word. I guess my major point was that the next Nexus will almost certainly have a 5" 1080p display, as will "every" flagship device in 2013/beyond, but it will NOT be a "phablet" like the GN2. It will have the same familiar form factor of the GNex, N4, GS3, etc. with a smaller bezel and larger display. Me gusta.
Ditto. I like the size of my Nexus 4 but think I could handle it being a bit longer. The on screen buttons take up a bit of room that I would like to see added to the screen real estate.

kurosenpai

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Been a note user for a year I just love big screen phone. I can't go back to small sizes phone and if the rumors are true I might gonna buy it. :eek:

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

ZarathustraHead

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Frankly, I think 5" is too small for a phablet. When I had a GS3, I thought it could stand to be a bit smaller. Ironically, now that I've upgraded to a Note 2, I think it could stand to be bigger. Getting the Note 2 was crossing a threshold to something greater.

5" is just a large phone. 6" is a phablet.

Looking forward to the Nexus 6.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Not my style at all. Not a fan of the phablet trend. The N4 is pretty much the max size for me to comfortably carry around. Anything bigger and I would need a purse to store it in. :confused:

i agree but look at the droid dna and sony's new flagship, both are 5 inches. rumors that the GS4 will be the same. 5-inch 1080p trend is going to take over unfortunately :(. I really dont want any bigger than 4.7!

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I guess my major point was that the next Nexus will almost certainly have a 5" 1080p display, as will "every" flagship device in 2013/beyond, but it will NOT be a "phablet" like the GN2. It will have the same familiar form factor of the GNex, N4, GS3, etc. with a smaller bezel and larger display
i think the bezel will still be larger. taller, but the same width

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Ditto. I like the size of my Nexus 4 but think I could handle it being a bit longer. The on screen buttons take up a bit of room that I would like to see added to the screen real estate.

i feel like people with large/very large size hands keep wanting a little bit more and more, but people like me with small/average size hands are already at the limit with the current size. i have to keep fumbling it for one hand use, i really dont need any more! (regardless of how "negligible" it is) :(....

ysbg

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
I hate this my screen is bigger than your screen trend. I've watched Android grow and grow, literally, and I remember when 4.3 was large. That ended up being comfortable, and my Nexus 4 is even very comfortable in my hand, but these 5 inch phones can go to hell. It would be one thing if these manufacturers shrunk the bezel, but even still, screen size is not a necessary focal point to me. Its 2013 and we're still looking behind every crevice to find where the battery juice went. I think the battery is of the utmost importance with any mobile device, and by "improving" these other aspects of the hardware, I feel they're ignoring more important ones.

What you are describing here is purely a personal preference, which doesn't seem to be very stable in time given that at some point 4.3 was large and now Nexus 4 is very comfortable. In the end the market will decide what it wants, in the same way that 3D phone didn't make it because nobody cared. If people feel happy about having a 5 inch phone then so be it. But we have the chance to have a lot of choice in devices with android.

For example, and this is purely anecdotal evidence, I moved from an HTC Desire to the Nexus 4 and I thought I would find it gigantic. In the end I find it very comfortable and love having so much more screen real estate. To the point where I wonder if I wouldn't be even happier with a bigger screen, so why not go 5 inch. As ConTejas has showed, there is not such a big difference between the nexus 4 and a DNA.

In the end as you pointed out, what matters is what feels comfortable or not in the hand. But just we go above a certain threshold doesn't mean it will stop being comfortable. It depends a lot on the rest of the design.

Finally, couldn't agree more about the battery.

Last edited:

AtomicFrost

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Putting a larger capacity battery in a device doesn't solve the issue of battery optimization and/or improvement. Actually, the Note II is already large, so it's not surprising to have a larger battery by default.

Throwing more battery at the problem may not be the best solution. However, improving the energy density of the battery would go a long way towards improving battery life. Having something like 6400 mAh in a battery the size of the Nexus 4's would greatly improve battery life, and allow them to use more high performance, energy hungry parts. :D

I would like to see a 5" Nexus phone WITH a very slim bezel. They could keep the overall size of the phone about the same, and have more usable screen area. However, I wouldn't call a 5" screened device a phablet. A lot of manufactures seem to be releasing highend smartphones that have screens about that size.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Perspective people, let's get a little perspective. It's all about personal preference. I am a small guy (5'5") and use the Note 2 and have zero issues about the size. As someone said above, the market will dictate what mfgs put out there. I think it would be awesome if the next Nexus is a 5" device. I prefer the 5" size of the DNA, but don't care for some other things about that device. But I love everything the Note brings to the game, and the size became a non-issue within just a couple days of using it. I don't feel silly making calls with it, and have yet to notice anyone look at me funny when using it for calls in public (they most certainly look at me funny for other reasons I'm sure :D). Blue tooth or speakerphone in the car is king anyway, and I rarely make calls anywhere else. I thought the Fascinate was huge when I got it. I thought the Galaxy Nexus was huge when I got it. Both feel like a child's toy now. Don't assume that your personal preference is what everyone else wants.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
One newer phone that is bucking the trend is the Moto Razr M. Of course, it still doesn't have a top quad core processor, but the form factor and battery life are almost perfect for a compact phone experience. And by all accounts, it's a pretty popular phone, drawing in fans from the factors I mentioned. Only problem.... it's LTE and locked into Verizon. :confused:

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Which is what makes this platform so awesome...there's something for everyone. I could never see myself going back to anything smaller than the 5" form factor. One size most definitely does not fit all.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
i feel like people with large/very large size hands keep wanting a little bit more and more, but people like me with small/average size hands are already at the limit with the current size. i have to keep fumbling it for one hand use, i really dont need any more! (regardless of how "negligible" it is) :(....
I never use my phone one handed.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
One newer phone that is bucking the trend is the Moto Razr M. Of course, it still doesn't have a top quad core processor, but the form factor and battery life are almost perfect for a compact phone experience. And by all accounts, it's a pretty popular phone, drawing in fans from the factors I mentioned. Only problem.... it's LTE and locked into Verizon. :confused:
The new HTC VX phone that is only on Cricket in the US is a very nice smaller phone too. Jerry was going on about how nice it was in his review. I think it's a 4.3in.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

I get the Verizon part but lte is a negative?

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

m3lover1

Trusted Member
May 4, 2010
Visit site
I would also love a 5 inch nexus 5. Currently I'm in love with the new xperia z. Looks so damn sexy!

Like the other poster said, this is the beauty of android. Want a big screen, go for note 2. Smaller screen, with the one vx. In between, nexus 4 or one x or sgs3.

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Throwing more battery at the problem may not be the best solution. However, improving the energy density of the battery would go a long way towards improving battery life. Having something like 6400 mAh in a battery the size of the Nexus 4's would greatly improve battery life, and allow them to use more high performance, energy hungry parts. :D

I would like to see a 5" Nexus phone WITH a very slim bezel. They could keep the overall size of the phone about the same, and have more usable screen area. However, I wouldn't call a 5" screened device a phablet. A lot of manufactures seem to be releasing highend smartphones that have screens about that size.

that would also hike up production costs... i think software optimization to improve battery life is the solution, not throwing in gigantic batteries.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance