Rumor that Nexus 5 will be a 'phablet'

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
If this turns out to be true, sign me up. I have very large hands and not-so-great eyesight. I do not fear the five inch beast.

As long as they aren't afraid to put enough battery on it to be useful.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I think we are going to settle in right about where we are, the 4.7-5 range which is fine for most.

Bigger than five brings you to phablet territory then bigger than six you are in tablet territory.

That 6.1 is really going to flop a bit. It is just too much for most everyone. It is a nice offering, but very few will go with it.

Then you also have to consider the concepts we saw at the last show with the flexible screens....

Tough to pinpoint where all of this is gonna shake out.

This year should be interesting with a five inch s4, a better Nexus, and whatever Sony brings to the table. I am not writing the other companies off, they just need to show something cool in February.

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Not everyone has the same size pockets. If I wanted to wear a jacket everyday with pockets, I would carry an even bigger phone!

Oh, I can fit just about any size phone into jeans pockets.... walking normally with the phone in there is another story. lol

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
most folks continue to assume that what they like is what should be what everyone else likes. You said this...

I have small/average hands and love the size of the Note. I don't like phones smaller than 5" any longer, but that is my personal preference. I don't assume anyone else feels this way, because it is my own opinion. And I'm sure there are plenty of large-handed folks out there with iPhones and Android phones smaller than 5". Hell, I see most people in my area using flip phones still!
Flip phones? Where do you live? Siberia?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I think we are going to settle in right about where we are, the 4.7-5 range which is fine for most.

Bigger than five brings you to phablet territory then bigger than six you are in tablet territory.

That 6.1 is really going to flop a bit. It is just too much for most everyone. It is a nice offering, but very few will go with it.

Then you also have to consider the concepts we saw at the last show with the flexible screens....

Tough to pinpoint where all of this is gonna shake out.

This year should be interesting with a five inch s4, a better Nexus, and whatever Sony brings to the table. I am not writing the other companies off, they just need to show something cool in February.

I think you are bang on. I would also add that with the larger phone becoming so popular that many people are finding tablets to be less of a necessity. I find that I use mine much less after getting my Nexus 4 while my wife who has a Blackberry uses her tablet all the time. If you have a note 2 you really don't need a tablet unless you are replacing a laptop with a Transformer Prime.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

richdroidx

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Im used to my note2 size already. Once you get used to it it really doesn't seem as big. I dont speak on phones much so I'm rarely holding it to my ears. A nexus 5 incher would be great especially edge to edge display

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Im used to my note2 size already. Once you get used to it it really doesn't seem as big. I dont speak on phones much so I'm rarely holding it to my ears. A nexus 5 incher would be great especially edge to edge display

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

since 5 inch phones will take over, all i can hope for is a bezel "as small as possible". i can't go to iphone (just saw my friends today). android is beautiful...

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I know but was not terribly impressed. I want to see more before I bump them up in class.

How about we see how it stacks up with the other offerings at that show in February

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I know but was not terribly impressed. I want to see more before I bump them up in class.

How about we see how it stacks up with the other offerings at that show in February

i think cpu/RAM wise i think the n4 will stand up just fine with the phones of the near future. the next big thing IMO is advancement in materials.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
By the same token, everything in the last six months will.

We are getting close to the end of the line for Cpu and ram bumps. This is the year that should put the focus on display and battery life.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
To take from an old joke, I spent a month in cleveland one weekend... Seriously it was boring.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I know, right?!?! Lots of old school folks in my part of town, clinging to anything that is not a "smart" phone.

haha - I still like my old razr v3i flip phone. I use it as a backup and got a sim adapter so I could swap in the N4 sim if ever needed. Except I lost it somewhere and have to find it. Damn thig is so small. LOL

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
haha - I still like my old razr v3i flip phone. I use it as a backup and got a sim adapter so I could swap in the N4 sim if ever needed. Except I lost it somewhere and have to find it. Damn thig is so small. LOL

I actually still have a couple older (pre-2007...not really that old) Samsung flip phones, and a Blackberry. I offered the Blackberry to my one neighbor when he lost his phone, he even thinks the Blackberry is "too much phone" for him. Too funny.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I'll be happy with any size as long as it has curved glass, :p. I know, it's shallow, but I love the curves and don't like the square/flat form factor in a phone. That's just me. ;)

What?! ...I'm msndrstood.
via Gnex

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay