One over protective #nexus4 owner story:

Droidintorrance

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
As posted to day on G+

enjoy... interested in hearing if U have a better regimen..!

No matter how careful you are with your Nexus 4, I guarantee that I have you beat..! I am generally very careful with my devices, but in the light of all the glass breakage, I am even more cautious than ever, here is my regimen:

Stock ? unlocked & rooted: my nexus 4 is my secondary daily driver. I still mainly use my #galaxynexus as my main device running CM10.1. I am really happy with it and it does everything the N4 can do and more. The N4 at this time does not need to be ROMed, so no software issues here, no random reboots or buzzing or anything; and I intend on keeping it that way.

Apps ? very minimal apps installed, just my common ones and trusted apps go on the N4; all my experimental apps and impulsive apps go on the Gnex. It has plenty of memory and can handle everything the N4 can.

Hotspot ? I do carry the N4 around with me everywhere I go. It is used as my only hotspot device. Again, the Gnex is what I pull out to use, but for the most part the N4 stays safe inside my pockets. So on my commutes and weekends, all my calls, data is routed to my Gnex via the N4.

External Battery ? the N4 is plugged into an external battery you see 24/7. This insures a few things. That my depth of discharge NEVER goes below 99%, this theoretically should increase battery life overall since we can?t easily swap one out; second, I can turn on the phone with the external battery button, without having to press the Power Button; and third, I use the Battery usb port to charge, that will insure that the N4 USB port stays rigid. I can hot spot an entire morning from 8-12 with one external battery.

Case/Skin ? I have of course a skin & cover for the N4 ? goes without saying, never dropped, never ?accidently moved?

Home ? when I get home, the N4 goes inside his cubby hole; that is away from the wife, kid or anyone that could possibly disturb his sleep. It goes in sits on top of a gripy drawer liner, and a doily on top of that ; the battery gets charged and is away from all other devices or people..!

Work ? the N4 when at work is inside my drawer, this protects it from dust; it sits on top of the Nokia wireless charger which doesn't work that well as well as the External Battery. It is on Airplane mode and goes to sleep for the day.

Call me over protective, call me paranoid; but one thing you will never call me is a person with a Broken Nexus 4..!

https://plus.google.com/109448027074074035233/posts

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
You forgot armed guard and climate controlled chamber. What good is a phone you have to tend to that much?

That statement is not a knock on the phone or you personally, that whole rigamarole is a bit over the top.

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
A phone is made to be used, not to be treated like a royal baby.

agreed. By what I can read, you use your GNex way more than your Nexus 4. It isn't like the Nexus 4 is something special and is going to retain in value or even increase. If it is, then i would understand but it is just another phone. I'm cheap as hell and i'm probably not going to buy a phone that is under $400 and i'm using it regularly. Of course I have a case and screen protector on it though.

Droidintorrance

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
sorry fellas, the # was cut & pasted from G+... i enjoy taking care of my things, it's no bother at all; I guess I am obsessive compulsive to a certain extent and the routine gives me pleasure... as I said on my stream, I do plan on using the N4 for years to come; I will never sell it as any of my other androids... strange but, I guess I really start to use the device when the next one comes out... I am an early adapter but I still use ALL of my other previous devices... what does that make me..? lol...

anyways, take away what you want from my post, if it helps, cool.. if not, enjoy your devices how you see best... cheers.. ^_^

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
When I got my N4 I was tempted at first to resell it for a profit and keep my Galaxy Nexus but after using it for a day I couldn't go back to the AMOLED Pentile screen.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I always try to set my phones down on a piece of paper, since I don't use a case. I can relate to the OP in that regard.

Sent from my Asus Nexus 7

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I always try to set my phones down on a piece of paper, since I don't use a case. I can relate to the OP in that regard.

Sent from my Asus Nexus 7

Well its fairly easy to scratch and break without a case but hiding it from dust? Bit extreme

Sent from my Nexus 4

whymista

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
That is one thing I like about moto phones. Both my old photon 4g and now my photon q 4g lte I drop, sit on, shove in my pocket and expose it to extreme temps since I ride a zx6r and its no worse for wear.

Slender Troll

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
That is one thing I like about moto phones. Both my old photon 4g and now my photon q 4g lte I drop, sit on, shove in my pocket and expose it to extreme temps since I ride a zx6r and its no worse for wear.

I, too, am a Photon 4G owner. One thing I know about Motorola phones is that they are very durable. I dropped mine from about 6-6.5ft up onto a concrete floor and the only thing that was broken was the camera (couldn't open the camera app at all because the camera connection had been broken). It had nothing but a bumper case on it too, and there was no screen damage afterwards. Had to replace the phone because they couldn't fix it in store, but that wasn't an issue.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

whymista

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I, too, am a Photon 4G owner. One thing I know about Motorola phones is that they are very durable. I dropped mine from about 6-6.5ft up onto a concrete floor and the only thing that was broken was the camera (couldn't open the camera app at all because the camera connection had been broken). It had nothing but a bumper case on it too, and there was no screen damage afterwards. Had to replace the phone because they couldn't fix it in store, but that wasn't an issue.

Yea I remember one night I was at a party and had my phone upstairs and was texting on it and being slightly intoxicated I dropped it and it fell on the tile floor below and it did cause some spidering of the glass but otherwise the phone worked just fine. Then another time my daughter decided to grab my phone and I'm still not exactly sure what she did but she managed to get it wet and completely the screen so essentially the phone was done but I can still use it to tether my laptop since I had already downloaded easy tether before she broke it lol.

Slender Troll

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Yea I remember one night I was at a party and had my phone upstairs and was texting on it and being slightly intoxicated I dropped it and it fell on the tile floor below and it did cause some spidering of the glass but otherwise the phone worked just fine. Then another time my daughter decided to grab my phone and I'm still not exactly sure what she did but she managed to get it wet and completely the screen so essentially the phone was done but I can still use it to tether my laptop since I had already downloaded easy tether before she broke it lol.

Did you let it dry before using it?

whymista

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Did you let it dry before using it?

I didn't no it had gotten wet I was too busy being mad the entire screen was destroyed to the point I could shake pieces of glass from the screen. There was no way the phone should even have done anything. So the screen was shot but after about two or three days it randomly turned on(in the sense that the power light came on and suddenly the computer registered that a usb connection had been made. So I did let it dry out but the entire time I had it trying to charge via usb. Thats one reason I got the photon q

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital