Volume Control Question on Nexus 4

zsmithku

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Nexus 4 Forum,

I just recently upgraded from using iOS to using Android on my Nexus 4.
Quick question regarding the volume control. Is it standard practice for the volume controls to be active to change even if I have a Lock Screen activated? I can still change the volume from "ringer to vibrate to silent" even when the screen is locked. Seems like that shouldn't be possible, but I could be wrong.

Appreciate any replies.

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
The volume buttons take enough pressure to hit that I don't mind that.

What I really like is If I'm playing music then the volume controls on the lock screen only affect the music playback volume, and my ringer volume is unaffected.

ldkronos

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
For the, the behavior of when it does/doesn't work is very odd.

1) When the screen is completely off, the volume controls don't work.
2) When I hit the power button to activate the screen (but it's still in the lock state) the volume controls don't work there either.
3) From state 2, if I then press the power button to turn off the screen, then turn it back on again, now the volume works
4) Also from state 2, if I swipe down on my lock screen clock widgit, the volume then starts to work too.

I also find it odd that, even in the lock state, you can still do certain functions. You can swipe to the right and start taking photos/movies. You can swipe to the left to get a blank screen, add a calender widget, and see events in the logged in user's calendar. (Edit: my mistake...I guess I did have to unlock it to add it, but the camera thing still bugs me, and I can't seem to find a way to remove it) Seems to me that if the phone is in a locked state, doing stuff like would be a breach of privacy.

Nonymous666

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
It actually makes sense that the volume control is active when the screen is locked. Imagine you're in middle of an important meeting at work or a movie theater or church or whatever and forgot to turn off the ringer. And then you get a phone call. But your volume button is inactive because you use a lock screen.

ldkronos

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Well, it seems to me that they could make the volume keys go active if it starts ringing. They do the same type of conditional disabling for other situations. Like if you have headphones plugged in, then the volume starts working as soon as the screen is powered on. And if you have music actually playing, then the volume works even with the screen off (but you can't put it into vibrate that way).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463