Is the Nexus 4 a good 2-year phone?

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Hi, is the Nexus 4 a good 2-year phone?:confused::confused::confused:

That's an impossible to answer question. What do you want/need to do with it? What speeds do you require (for both the OS and network)? What coverage do you need and where will you be? Do you require your phone to have the latest buzzwords?

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
That's entirely your own opinion.

I know people that still use the original Droid (myself included). Is it a "good" phone? Why, yes, because I can make calls with it and it functions properly.

"Good" is subjective.

minhbt

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
No phone is a good two years phone, thats why every year every manufacturers release new models.

Will it serve you right the next two years? - With the hardware integrated in the phone, i think so.

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
define "good" though. I mean the specs are viable to do most things for the next two years but it will fall behind more recent games and maybe applications. The speed is already great so I mean if you are just doing productivity it is fine for a long time.

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
If it has a quad core s4 I'm sure it Will still be able to handle future stuff.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
When it first came out I thought it would be a one year phone but the hidden LTE capability is what will make it for me a longer lasting phone.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
When it first came out I thought it would be a one year phone but the hidden LTE capability is what will make it for me a longer lasting phone.

If you wanted an LTE phone, you should have bought one.

anon(41073)

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
If the Nexus line of phones continue in the $350 price range, I will just get a new phone every year. Where in the past, you were forced to pay full price which was usually in the $600-$700 price range.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
There are plenty of people out there still using their Nexus One, so yes, the N4 has the hardware to go 2 years. The question is can you continue to be satisfied with it for 2 years? Every 3 to 6 months, newer, faster devices are released, so if you're OK with not jonesing for the latest and greatest, this phone should still be running well, and still be running whatever the latest version of Android is in two years.

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
If the Nexus line of phones continue in the $350 price range, I will just get a new phone every year. Where in the past, you were forced to pay full price which was usually in the $600-$700 price range.

+1.

Its funny. Just about every year I get a new device in my hand, most recently the N4, and there are many times I just sit there and marvel at it. All the features, how much processing power they've packed into it, etc. I'll be like ?im gonna keep this one a while--what more could I *possibly* want / need in a phone?"

Then the next great thing comes out and, bam!, down goes my bankcard.

:p

I'm sure there is a name for this affliction lol

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
+1.

Its funny. Just about every year I get a new device in my hand, most recently the N4, and there are many times I just sit there and marvel at it. All the features, how much processing power they've packed into it, etc. I'll be like ?im gonna keep this one a while--what more could I *possibly* want / need in a phone?"

maybe stupidity? :p. But yeah, technology is going so fast since 1950's I think? Dunno when the technological revolution started (I think that's what this period is called)

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Is it a good 2 year phone? I believe so if you just simply look at Hardware and Software.

It has a quad core CPU so that alone makes me believe the phone will be fast enough for at least a hear and a half or so. I couldn't imagine it moving any smoother than it is to be honest. If any apps lag, thats just because they haven't been optimized yet. The only thing that may show its age (and has already in some folks opinion) is the camera. Its already behind some phones that came out close to a year ago now like the SGS3 and the HOX. But if pics dont matter much to you, or if your fine with the way they look now (Some people have great pics in the camera thread), then I dont think its that big a deal.

Software wise, this thing will get every update Google pushes for at least the next 2-3 years, end of story. Thats all that needs to be said Software wise. Any other phone like the SGS3 or HOX, I'd worry a bit. If the OEMs even decide to bother with 4.2, I doubt any of those phones will recieve any update past that. I believe the SGS3 will see Key Lime Pie no doubt, at some point though (maybe in the fall of 2013 if KLP is released this spring, early summer). Other than that, I'm certain the dev community for this phone will be around till eternity if the phone gets stale software wise or if you want extra features.

So in general, definitely a 2 year phone in my opinion. I got it in November and still love it, plan to use it for my whole 2yr contract with Tmo. There's always going to be something bigger and better down the line though.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
+1.

IF you are a musician, they have a word for it: G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome)

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
If you wanted an LTE phone, you should have bought one.

Except let's see T-mobile doesn't have LTE yet.

And FWIW I would have stuck with my GNex if I wasn't able to pick up a Nexus 4 for less than Play Store cost and sell my GNex for market value (owned the GNex for 4 months and sold it for what I paid for it) . I was totally prepared to keep my GNex after the Play Store debacles and everything selling N4s secondhand for inflated prices

darkoman4

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
For 2 years it will cost you pretty much the same. $700-$800 for contracted phones vs $700 for 2 Nexus phones.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Shoot man, in terms of updates the n4 will be supported for years to come (unlike a manufacturer specific phone, they generally get abandoned 8-12 months after their release EVEN flagships).

Google and lg did an excellent job on the phone, although I'm not sure if you can get one right now, I'm not sure if lg still has the manufacturing stopped on them or not.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
It seems depends on your style.How long have you used a phone? And why you choose Nexus 4 ?And nowadays, many people can keep the phone for average 1 years.

I don't understand how people are able to upgrade their phones every year, it makes no sense to me. What do you guys pay full price for your phones or something!? Because the average person has a two year plan with their carrier, since one year plans are significantly more expensive.

I have the s3 and am perfectly fine with it for the next year and a half when im due for an upgrade. I swear some of you are addicts:)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Except let's see T-mobile doesn't have LTE yet.

And FWIW I would have stuck with my GNex if I wasn't able to pick up a Nexus 4 for less than Play Store cost and sell my GNex for market value (owned the GNex for 4 months and sold it for what I paid for it) . I was totally prepared to keep my GNex after the Play Store debacles and everything selling N4s secondhand for inflated prices

Except lets see, the Nexus 4 is not an LTE device.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae