Looking to switch from iPhone to Nexus, a couple of questions

talamak

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm planning on buying a Nexus 4 as soon as it comes back in stock. I'm switching from an iPhone 5, which is still on contract, and I'm wondering if switching to the Nexus would somehow violate my contract? What's involved in deactivating the iPhone and activating the Nexus?

Also, do aac files play on android devices? What programs do people use for music/file transfer?

Thanks so much for your time.

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
it wouldn't violate the contract but you wiill have to pay money to get rid of the iphone contract. my opinion is to keep the iphone until the contract is gone and then switch. and you can play almost every fiel so aac is probably supported, if not you can find a aac video player or something and just drag and drop no syncing which is great. ing hate itunes

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm planning on buying a Nexus 4 as soon as it comes back in stock. I'm switching from an iPhone 5, which is still on contract, and I'm wondering if switching to the Nexus would somehow violate my contract? What's involved in deactivating the iPhone and activating the Nexus?

Also, do aac files play on android devices? What programs do people use for music/file transfer?

If you're on a GSM carrier (e.g. AT&T or TMobile) you can switch your phone and stay on the same contract. BUT, you might have to pay an activation fee (usually $35).

Your AAC files will be matched and/or converted (and uploaded) to your Google Music locker when you install Google Music Manager on your computer. They'll let you have 20,000 songs in your locker (in addition to any songs you buy from google music).

AbuYazeedUK

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't know how it works in the US but in the UK doesn't matter what phone you get with the contract you can take your sim out and put it in any phone and it would work. no extra charges or anything.

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

Honestly get a nano to micro Sim adapter insert into the Nexus 4, find the correct APN, and enjoy. I switched from a GS3 on contract to a Nexus 4 without an issue. AT&T still thinks I'm using the GS3 but all is well.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

deichenlaub

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
It's fun to bash AT&T, but I have to say they are great about switching phones. I use AT&T's "Go Phone" (pay as you go). When I switched from Galaxy S to Nexus 4, I needed to switch from the mini-SIM to the micro-SIM. Because of the chip on my mini-SIM, I couldn't just cut the plastic. I expected a bunch of stuff, because neither phone is officially supported on the "Go Phone" plan. I went to an AT&T store. They gave me the correct SIM and activated it. They even offered to insert the SIM in my phone for me. Total cost: $0. My son had the same experience.

Don't try to call customer support. Those people are clueless. Go to the store.

ivrimon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't know how it works in the US but in the UK doesn't matter what phone you get with the contract you can take your sim out and put it in any phone and it would work. no extra charges or anything.

Yep, America does seem like a nightmare for phones! I'm pretty sure that the GSM networks in the US must be the same though as it's not like CDMA where the phone is activated/registered.

Also, if by AAC you mean mp4/m4a files. As long as they're DRM free they'll play fine in all the music players. If they're .aac they'll play (as the codec is the same) but some players might not recognise them. If you listen to a lot of music it might be worth giving Google Play Music a try as they have scan & match now so it shouldn't take to long to get your music on there. The only downside of this is that music you download to your phone via the app isn't available (without root at least) to other apps.

vietalogy

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Honestly get a nano to micro Sim adapter insert into the Nexus 4, find the correct APN, and enjoy. I switched from a GS3 on contract to a Nexus 4 without an issue. AT&T still thinks I'm using the GS3 but all is well.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Since he's switching from iPhone 5. He has to change his data plan to hspa+ from LTE or the nexus will get no data.

Sent from my Nexus 4

AuntieJimbo

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I had a 4S with AT&T, still on contract. I switched to my Nexus 4 and had a somewhat easy time getting everything set up. I got a new SIM and was ready to go in a matter of moments. This did nothing to my contract. I spent about four minutes with the online help guy who made sure I had the correct data plan for my phone. This did nothing to my contract, either. Keep in mind, though, that we have a 10G monthly family shared plan, so your mileage may vary.

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I've always been able to just pop in a sim card to whatever phone I want and keep it moving on Tmobile. iPhone 3G, Vibrant, SGS2, and now my Nexus 4. Tmobile is very good about these things, but I doubt you're on Tmo since you have the IP5 on contract. If you're on ATT you should be fine too though I can't imagine itd be any different from being what Tmo does.

Robublind

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I just pull the sim card out of my Att 4s and put it in the nexus 4. Never talked to Att. It works great.
Things you will miss switching from the iphone
1) imessage: google voice or messaging does come close to the iphone.
2) visual voicemail..If you use google voice it is equal.
3) playing mp3 from chrome, I am probably doing something wrong but I cannot seem to download a file ie podcast from a webpage and start playing right away like you can do on the iphone.
4) Being in the crowd..everyone and their mother has an iphone nowadays

That being said would I go back, hell no.
What will put your iphone friends in envy of you:
1) one button dial/text your friends
2) home screen widget (what you mean I don't have to open an app to see what I have to do today...my calendar is sitting on my homescreen)
3) Notification, blows apples away (stopping and starting a mp3 from the notifications...sweet)
4) google now
5) delete any app you want, unlike the apple apps: stock, newstand etc that will not go away on the iphone.
6) 4.7 inch screen (this was the straw that broke the apple camel's back, I could not deal with that microscope screen anymore)

Things that I thought would be a big deal that are not:
1) apps
2) camera
3) battery life
4) speed of the phone (some people say that android is not a smooth as IOS) I think that 4.2.1 is faster/smoother