Using Phone Away From Wi-Fi in the UK.

alginn0

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

And Help !!! I am from the UK and OK on computers, but an absolute infant on using my Nexus 4 for the internet when not connected to Wi -Fi at home or hot spots. I use a giff gaff sim. If I want to connect for instance to Sky Go and I'm out of Wi Fi range, do I have to have a Mifi device to link my phone to and I understand these can be locked or unlocked (More confusion.)

My Nexus 4 is unlocked, I just bought it cash at Carphone Warehouse. If I'm travelling I might want to use as well my laptop or tablet. I understand I can create a hotspot with my phone but is that only when in Wi Fi range? Also I can be charged fot data of course through Giff Gaff, what does that mean, downloading info I suppose?

I will be very grateful for anything that can help me understand these issues please..... I know there are some very clever tech guys out there.

Last edited:

alginn0

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Do you have a data plan on your sim?

Yes, I've had what they call a Goody Bag which includes 1GB data, but now I'm on the standard tarrif which has data available to use. 20p for up to 20MB (charged at 20p/MB) per day (then 20p/MB if you exceed 20MB in one day)

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
If your account and phone are setup correctly - particularly the APN settings - you shouldn't have to do anything other than simply open the browser or email just as you would if you were within range of your WiFi connection. It should all be completely seamless.

Things to check:

Settings -> Wireless & Netowrks More... -> Data enabled (should be checked)

Settings -> Wireless & Netowrks More... -> Access Point Names (verify settings here with information provided by your cell carrier).

alginn0

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
If your account and phone are setup correctly - particularly the APN settings - you shouldn't have to do anything other than simply open the browser or email just as you would if you were within range of your WiFi connection. It should all be completely seamless.

Things to check:

Settings -> Wireless & Netowrks More... -> Data enabled (should be checked)

Settings -> Wireless & Netowrks More... -> Access Point Names (verify settings here with information provided by your cell carrier).

Thank you for that very valuable info. I've got > Data Enabled < now and also > Data Roaming < Access point it seems to be automatically set on 02 Pre Pay which is probably right as Giff gaff runs off 02, However I have not got it working yet and may have to contact Giff Gaff. Having said that you have been a tremendous help and I'm now on the right track and understand much more. Will get it sorted, but it might take a few days! I'll tell you when I've cracked it.

Thanks again, Alan.

DogPsyche

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for that very valuable info. I've got > Data Enabled < now and also > Data Roaming < Access point it seems to be automatically set on 02 Pre Pay which is probably right as Giff gaff runs off 02, However I have not got it working yet and may have to contact Giff Gaff. Having said that you have been a tremendous help and I'm now on the right track and understand much more. Will get it sorted, but it might take a few days! I'll tell you when I've cracked it.

Thanks again, Alan.

Ah no, you have to go to the GiffGaff Community site and look up the settings for the Nexus 4 then enter the settings in manually. Your N4 WON'T be able to access the internet or used as a hotspot using the o2 settings.

The steps are real easy to follow and there's plenty of support on the site.

If anybody wants a free sim from the amazing GiffGaff with ?5 credit just click here:

[Link deleted]

Sent from my Nexus 7

Last edited by a moderator:

alginn0

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Ah no, you have to go to the GiffGaff Community site and look up the settings for the Nexus 4 then enter the settings in manually. Your N4 WON'T be able to access the internet or used as a hotspot using the o2 settings.

The steps are real easy to follow and there's plenty of support on the site.

If anybody wants a free sim from the amazing GiffGaff with ?5 credit just click here:

[Link deleted]

Sent from my Nexus 7

Ahhhhh! thanks a lot, that should complete the jigsaw for me, I'll do that!

Well i've done that now and thanks to you guys and the Giff Gaff site for the info it's now working. Yes!!!!! it's nice to learn somethng new that helps. A lot slower than Wi Fi but it works well enough to sort most things out

Cheers, Alan.,.

Last edited: