Need help with Handcent and Go SMS Pro!!

ShockG911

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, I need some massive help. I just got the Nexus 4(I have AT&T as my carrier) and I cant group message for my life!! I know you cant do it with the stock app so I tried Go SMS Pro and Handcent and no luck.

Go SMS Pro, I cant receive MMS but I can send it to an INDIVIDUAL. Group text does not work at all!!! And YES, I check marked the MMS GROUP CHAT and still nothing. Just tries to send and I keep getting an error message.

With Handcent, I can ONLY send to a group but when they respond, I only get the INDIVIDUAL responses, not in the group thread.

I've been trying for literally hours and google hasnt really helped me much.
PS, MMS does indeed work because I tested in the stock messenger prior to removing it

Any advice out there guys?

nickacs

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
You can't receive group texts from anyone. This isn't an issue because of Handcent (which I have) or Go SMS. It's an Android thing. You can send group texts, but there's way to receive them... I know, sucks ass... iPhone users can, so why can't Android users???
Between this and GV not supporting MMS, it's plain stupid.... I really wish they would get it together and support both of these some day... Can only wish :(

ShockG911

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Ok. So the stock works with group message BUT if more than one person has an iphone, their responses go to imessage. So they'll see the responses while I don't :/
And they obviously wont disable imessage

I may need to go to the apple forum for this answer

sdoo25

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Apparently Go SMS Pro is the only way to achieve what I want. But its not sending MMS messages. Dont know why

I had a problem sending MMS on my Nexus 4 as well using Solavei. Don't know if what worked for me will work for you, but at least you can try. I needed to enter the MMS APN settings into the Go SMS settings area in addition to entering them in the phone settings area. Hope this helps.

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I had a problem sending MMS on my Nexus 4 as well using Solavei. Don't know if what worked for me will work for you, but at least you can try. I needed to enter the MMS APN settings into the Go SMS settings area in addition to entering them in the phone settings area. Hope this helps.

i cant send mms using go sms either. i saw that you can enter it in on the settings but have yet to try it

ShockG911

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Looks like Handcent is working now(??). I just reinstalled it and its decent. Not great but it does the job. Im not sure if the pic messages work though. That i'll have to test

ShockG911

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
So all of a sudden, I can group text using MMS with two of my buddies who have iphones with the stock app. This Android has a mind of its own lol. Its working pretty well, just a PITA when they send a pic message(because of the stupid slide show).

Go SMS Pro didnt work at all and Handcent, which I am not a fan of because of its lag, did work.

nickacs

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
So all of a sudden, I can group text using MMS with two of my buddies who have iphones with the stock app. This Android has a mind of its own lol. Its working pretty well, just a PITA when they send a pic message(because of the stupid slide show).

Go SMS Pro didnt work at all and Handcent, which I am not a fan of because of its lag, did work.

Did your iPhone friends text you back and you can see ALL the recipients, or only you? That's the issue I have with Android messaging, regardless if it's stock one/Handcent/etc. I've always been able to SEND group sms/mms to any phone model, but RECEIVING sms/mms from iPhone's only, I only see myself and no one else from the group :( I really wish Google would fix this stupid thing. I mean c'mon, Android's been out for how many years now and still when it comes to text messaging, iPhone is the only OS that gets it right?!? LMAO

ShockG911

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Did your iPhone friends text you back and you can see ALL the recipients, or only you? That's the issue I have with Android messaging, regardless if it's stock one/Handcent/etc. I've always been able to SEND group sms/mms to any phone model, but RECEIVING sms/mms from iPhone's only, I only see myself and no one else from the group :( I really wish Google would fix this stupid thing. I mean c'mon, Android's been out for how many years now and still when it comes to text messaging, iPhone is the only OS that gets it right?!? LMAO

Yes, I can see ALL of them in the thread, just like how it is on iOS. If your friends who you group message have iOS, have ALL OF THEM do this:

1st. DELETE ALL THREADS that you were in. So basically, completely remove you from any of their text history.
2nd. COMPLETELY remove you from their contact list(including your email address). EVERYTHING. Once they do that, have them recreate a new contact list for you.

This worked for me. I group text with two people(who both have iPhones) and when one of them did it(what I said above), I saw his message in the thread. The other didn't listen to me and his messages weren't even showing up, they were going to iMessage. When he did what I told him, it worked and I now can see both perfectly.

Again, this is if your friends have iPhones. iMessage was really screwing things up for us, and this trick seemed to work for me. Let me know what happens. If it doesn't work, we can compare out settings and match them up

Eddster

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
You can't receive group texts from anyone. This isn't an issue because of Handcent (which I have) or Go SMS. It's an Android thing. You can send group texts, but there's way to receive them... I know, sucks ass... iPhone users can, so why can't Android users???
Between this and GV not supporting MMS, it's plain stupid.... I really wish they would get it together and support both of these some day... Can only wish :(
It's not an Android thing. I can group message just fine with the stock messaging app on my Verizon Note 2.

thepktrckt

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Regarding the MMS issue there is a weird quirk in how it works on the Nexus 4 and AT&T. With the right APN setting you can send MMS from Handcent or GoSMS with AT&T but it comes with the sacrifice of download speed. The formula is essentially this:
phone APN, faster download no MMS in Handcent or GoSMS
cingular APN, slower download MMS in Handcent or GoSMS

eightdown

May 12, 2013
Visit site
1st. DELETE ALL THREADS that you were in. So basically, completely remove you from any of their text history.
2nd. COMPLETELY remove you from their contact list(including your email address). EVERYTHING. Once they do that, have them recreate a new contact list for you.

This worked for me. I group text with two people(who both have iPhones) and when one of them did it(what I said above), I saw his message in the thread. The other didn't listen to me and his messages weren't even showing up, they were going to iMessage. When he did what I told him, it worked and I now can see both perfectly.

Again, this is if your friends have iPhones. iMessage was really screwing things up for us, and this trick seemed to work for me. Let me know what happens. If it doesn't work, we can compare out settings and match them up

Can anyone confirm that this has worked for them too?

MaxGator

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Regarding the MMS issue there is a weird quirk in how it works on the Nexus 4 and AT&T. With the right APN setting you can send MMS from Handcent or GoSMS with AT&T but it comes with the sacrifice of download speed. The formula is essentially this:
phone APN, faster download no MMS in Handcent or GoSMS
cingular APN, slower download MMS in Handcent or GoSMS

Aha. This is very helpful. I have an S3 on Sprint. Both Handcent and GoSMS keep "breaking" my ability to receive MMS - gifs particularly.

When i first install either, they work fine. But after a period of time I can no longer receive gifs (that's about the only mms I get ); they just come across as a static photo. Ironically, I can see the app trying to download (for example) a 500k file. But when I look at what I received it is a 65k photo instead of the mms. I can send just fine to others but when I send to myself, I get the static photo only.

I didn't know why, but guess I do now.

Is there a work around?

Darrkman

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I have no trouble sending group messages with handcent. All my group messages are grouped together. If you're using Handcent make sure you have the group feature checked off in the settings.

uploadfromtaptalk1371127973038.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 4

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol