Are all android phones made "alike"?

tabletnovice

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to get my first smartphone. I'm wondering if it makes sense to get an android based phone since I own a Nexus7 tablet (my first tablet). I use a lot of Google stuff (gmail, picasa, drive, calendar, etc). Can any android-based phone can access my G accounts like the Nexus 7, or is the Nexus 4 the most suitable to access my accounts?

Also, I'm heavily into digital photography and not sure about the quality of the Nexus 4 images. That's why I'm also considering an iPhone or one made by Nokia.

As an aside, the phone camera will not replace my advanced compact digital camera but I'd like one that produces images at or near the highest quality currently available in smartphones.

Any insights would be appreciated. Thank you.

taylorz_412

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Almost any Android Phone with cover your needs as far as Google services and so will the iphone but I recommend a galaxy s3 or a galaxy note 2 if you want something android with a great camera

sent via VZW GaLaXy note II

Will1524

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to get my first smartphone. I'm wondering if it makes sense to get an android based phone since I own a Nexus7 tablet (my first tablet). I use a lot of Google stuff (gmail, picasa, drive, calendar, etc). Can any android-based phone can access my G accounts like the Nexus 7, or is the Nexus 4 the most suitable to access my accounts?

Also, I'm heavily into digital photography and not sure about the quality of the Nexus 4 images. That's why I'm also considering an iPhone or one made by Nokia.

As an aside, the phone camera will not replace my advanced compact digital camera but I'd like one that produces images at or near the highest quality currently available in smartphones.

ALL android phones will be able to access your specific google accounts. I think that Android would be a great choice in your situation considering you already have a N7. If you are really enjoying pure android on the N7 then I would personally go with the N4. But remember Nexus devices are always based largely on the software and the cameras have always been subpar to other OEM's. If a camera is a HUGE part of your choice I would probably go with the HTC OneX+ or one of the new Sony flagships. Both are known to have exceptional cameras. You did say that you would still rely on a digital camera, therefore in your situation I would go with the N4 due to price, future support and your familiararity with the absolute same OS as the N7. Good Luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
If you want google service to be synced the best phone would be Nexus 4. not that other phones wont work but they will be left behind on some services like backups etc.
for example contact pics syncing had a bug which is improved on 4.2. so any 4.1 devices wont have the contacts pics synced in HD.

also, some problem with other is they replace many apps made by google for example calendar/Gallery etc

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
If you're " heavily into digital photography," then you know that no phone, with it's tiny little lens and sensor can come close to the quality and control you have with a real camera. My experience, and I'm a photographer by trade, is that all cell phone cameras are intended to quickly and conveniently capture a moment, so it's not lost/forgotten. The differences between one phones camera and another are small, but they do exist. If you have a steady hand, can compose a good shot, understand that phone cameras have no lens shade so they have issues with glare (fixed by creating shade over the lens with your free hand), you can take good images with them all. There are some great apps out there like ShotControl that can help improve things immensely. If you go to any of the forum sections for any of the phones, and look through the sticky thread about "Photos taken with your ..." you'll find great shots and terrible shots for every single phone out there. They are all capable of taking adequate images, so I would never choose a phone based on it's camera...but that's just me.

SeniorAlex

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site

Hi tabletnovice,

I too am heavily into photography and have a Canon 7D and several 'L' lenses. I mainly cover studio portraits and although I have an HTC Desire smartphone, which gives good images on display, but no mobile phone will do as well as a DSLR in the right hands. I am now looking for a 10" Android tablet to give my images a more professional showing. The tablet can also be used to tether to the camera or work via Wi-Fi and show images on the tablet within seconds of being taken. Far better than looking at the small LCD screen and in my opinion, the 7" is not large enough if you want to show your photographs to their best quality.

Looking possibly at the Asus Transformer Infinity TF700, although not sure yet.

Alex

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
If you're " heavily into digital photography," then you know that no phone, with it's tiny little lens and sensor can come close to the quality and control you have with a real camera. My experience, and I'm a photographer by trade, is that all cell phone cameras are intended to quickly and conveniently capture a moment, so it's not lost/forgotten. The differences between one phones camera and another are small, but they do exist. If you have a steady hand, can compose a good shot, understand that phone cameras have no lens shade so they have issues with glare (fixed by creating shade over the lens with your free hand), you can take good images with them all. There are some great apps out there like ShotControl that can help improve things immensely. If you go to any of the forum sections for any of the phones, and look through the sticky thread about "Photos taken with your ..." you'll find great shots and terrible shots for every single phone out there. They are all capable of taking adequate images, so I would never choose a phone based on it's camera...but that's just me.

This. The man speaks wisdom. A skilled photographer can get good looking shots out of almost any camera. A quality camera on your phone is always a plus, but it won't be the deciding factor in how good your shots look.

Hi tabletnovice,

I too am heavily into photography and have a Canon 7D and several 'L' lenses. I mainly cover studio portraits and although I have an HTC Desire smartphone, which gives good images on display, but no mobile phone will do as well as a DSLR in the right hands. I am now looking for a 10" Android tablet to give my images a more professional showing. The tablet can also be used to tether to the camera or work via Wi-Fi and show images on the tablet within seconds of being taken. Far better than looking at the small LCD screen and in my opinion, the 7" is not large enough if you want to show your photographs to their best quality.

Looking possibly at the Asus Transformer Infinity TF700, although not sure yet.

If you want to stick with Android for this (as opposed to an iPad, which are arguably excellent photo display devices), also take a look at the Nexus 10. Gorgeous screen and stock Android! Of course, that's assuming you can find one in stock. :p

SeniorAlex

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Citizen Coyote,

thanks for the reply. I have looked at it and appreciate it has a great screen, but prefer to have additional size with the USB and SSD. Next step will be to try and get to see one working. If there are any owners in the Midlands area of the UK, I would appreciate a chat!

Alex

tabletnovice

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Almost any Android Phone with cover your needs as far as Google services and so will the iphone but I recommend a galaxy s3 or a galaxy note 2 if you want something android with a great camera

Will the apps I've purchased/installed be usable on any Android-based phone? Or can I only access them on one Android device (ie. my Nexus 7)?

taylorz_412

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Will the apps I've purchased/installed be usable on any Android-based phone? Or can I only access them on one Android device (ie. my Nexus 7)?

Yes any device you sign in with Gmail will allow you to download all previously downloaded and purchased items on any Android device

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
The HTC One X (or HTC One X+ if you want 64gb storage and slightly better specs at more money) has an excellent camera and is another android phone worth checking out.

I have a Lumia 920 in addition to my nexus 4 and LOVE the camera on it. Low-light shots are superb, and yes there is a bit of softness for daytime photos (tho less since some recent updates), but I still think other strengths outweigh that and it is one of the best cell phone cameras out there. It's an entirely different ecosystem though. I really like Windows Phone myself, and while it's easy enough to use your Google mail it'll be a lot more limited in that regard than an Android phone for using other Google services.

If the camera outweighs all else then the Lumia is worth looking into, but if Google services and tighter integration with your nexus 7 is important then stick with an Android device. For me personally the 'pure' nature and always-immediate updates of a nexus phone are wonderful so it would take an extraordinary phone for me to move away from that in the future.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
No they are not all compatible, but 99% are. Sometimes a particular phone cannot handle the graphics or are incompatible with the version of android you are on.

Like I said, 99% of the time this isn't an issue and the apps will be compatible with any phone

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

taylorz_412

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
No they are not all compatible, but 99% are. Sometimes a particular phone cannot handle the graphics or are incompatible with the version of android you are on.

Like I said, 99% of the time this isn't an issue and the apps will be compatible with any phone

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

Yeah what he said just don't get something below android 4.0

atomic_squid

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
If it's Android, you've got complete synchronization with you account, no matter what device you get. It's one of the things that holds our diverse ecosystem together.

tabletnovice

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
But remember Nexus devices are always based largely on the software and the cameras have always been subpar to other OEM's.

I wonder it I have to worry about all this compatibility. As far as I understand, the iPhone has a much better camera than the N4. Plus, everyone in my family has an iPhone (or Mac) except me, and I can Facetime with them. Yes, facetime is something I'd like to do with my grandchildren!

Still, I'll like to be able to access my google accounts such as mail, drive and calendar. I don't know if this is possible on an iPhone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon